Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. Wouldn't this essentially tell an unauthorised user 'the computer has been left unoccupied for 10 minutes, come and have a go'? The whole purpose of the lock function is to be discreet and without warning. A warning message will accomplish absolutely nothing.
  2. It sounds like the graphics driver is displaying at a resolution not supported by the screen. The Windows logo is displayed at a very low resolution, typically 800 x 600. I'd suggest starting Windows with the one screen, then tweaking the resolution settings when you're in Windows itself. It is perfectly OK to connect/disconnect a screen when the computer's switched on.
  3. You'd think it would have no negative influence not supporting SMB1, but glad you sussed it!
  4. I also wonder if this has anything to do with BGfL changing filtering provider also? This was scheduled to happen before the end of the year and could be contributory.
  5. Lots of different makes, but yes, I have that combo running too HP switches + Unifi UAP-AC-Pro and works with PoE/PoE+ Other models are similar, but do not use PoE, so I generally avoid. I'd rather use an industry standard such as PoE, which 'should' work with any other PoE/PoE+ switch.
  6. It might be marginally, but a lot does have a to do with network speeds, hardware and your configured GPOs. All make a contribution. 1607 on an i5 + SSD however is very quick.
  7. I've started to deploy Ubiquiti Unifi APs and switches; plus very reasonably priced (including modules), offering 10Gb backbone on 48 port switches. The manageability of these are infinitely better than HP or Cisco (and it's free).
  8. I agree with the above, get a demo of both, however I do use DNA at all sites I manage. The main beef I had with Impero previously, was that it required .NET 3.5, which is disabled on Windows 10 by default. I know a 4.5 version was on the cards, but I don't know if this has now been released? DNA will work on any supported OS out the box. I've recently installed the DNA Browser on iPads too which works pretty well.
  9. I've never considered this a massive issue to be honest. It's so buried within the Windows directory, most users have the local drives restricted anyway, but you can always delete the answer file manually/automated thereafter, hence no security risk.
  10. I've had no issues. Do you use a proxy?
  11. I agree with your diagnosis perfectly though, it has to be OS related.
  12. I suspect it's driver related. If you upgraded 1607 > 1709, try going into Device Manager and rolling back the driver.
  13. Can't say I have; are they running the latest 3.9 firmware? And have you tried forgetting and re-adopting? Takes minutes.
  14. Silly question, but I presume your existing/old image still deploys? Can you ascertain what updates you've included differently? And definitely in my experience, newer drivers do not necessarily mean better!
  15. It could very well be something that's finally been switched off or some sort of configuration change. Given that most schools in Birmingham are using O365, this wouldn't have affected their mail traffic.
  16. You're right, avoiding symbols is probably a good idea and just stick to lower, upper and numericals. Other possibilities in the context of Windows 7 are LAN drivers, depending how you deploy.
  17. Do you think the Candy Crush script has anything to do with it possibly? It doesn't sound right, or ready to deploy, so you're right to question it.
  18. Wasn't mail.bgfl.org used back when Zimbra used to be hosted? smtp.bgfl.org definitely resolves.
  19. Presumably you've included all the latest updates as part of the snapshot? Been a while since I've deployed 7 now to be honest.
  20. You do have to specify the FQDN in your answer file if that helps!
  21. I don't think they're particularly loud if I'm perfectly honest, no louder than HP, but a lot heavier than their none PoE cousin! For L3 routing, you can use the their USG model
  22. You should look at a Unifi 48G PoE+ switch, about £620 ex VAT, just as good if not better!
  23. Bitlocker is included - do you mean encrypting the system volume? There are numerous Bitlocker controls via GPO.
  24. Microsoft have stated - KB4041688 = October Windows Update (2nd version) KB4052231 = November Windows Update (1st version) KB4048953 = November Windows Update (2nd version) There is a 3rd version of the November update available KB4051033, but this also is affected, so you'll have to wait until the December fix. Interestingly I'm running KB4048953 and not seeing this error!?
  25. I'm not entirely sure I agree (but I don't want to go off topic of this conversation). The last major versions of Windows, including the likes of Windows XP and Windows 7 (widely used in Enterprise/Education), both have/had 10 year cycles of support; so to go from 10 years to 6 months, this doesn't make sense either. Unfortunately I think Microsoft have made a bit of a 'hash' of the whole OneDrive situation. I suspect Office 2019 won't have a OneDrive client at all, will probably be Windows 10 only and will use OneDrive built in the OS (which makes some sense). Just a shame Microsoft haven't released a patch to remove OneDrive bundled with Office 2016, as it doesn't work (even if you try)! Trust me, give it a few more years of update cycles and you'll be fed up of updating/imaging workstations constantly. You have to weigh up the Educational benefits as I mentioned in a previous discussion.
×
×
  • Create New...