-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
Yes - select users use VPN, but more so for legacy applications. The majority of personnel don't, as everything's cloud based. As far as I know, Microsoft don't offer a solution for WSUS and/or MU. I don't dive in too much into WSUS reporting being honest. Definitely more so being able to control and deploy updates, yet more and more devices are now off site. If what I'm proposing isn't a good idea, I'm open to ideas what others are doing!
-
Hi all, Hope you're keeping well - I'm looking for some clarification in clients receiving updates from Microsoft Update, rather than WSUS. Currently I have WSUS setup and publish updates as and when, so I'm in full control what's deployed. The bigger issue in a pandemic scenario, are that clients may not be brought back on site for months and consequently will not connect to WSUS. So hypothetically, if I did away with WSUS in full or part and enabled these policies - Select when Feature Updates are received - Enabled - CBB - 30 Days. For the most part the above wouldn't apply, as I normally deploy LTSB and LTSC versions of Windows 10. Select when Quality Updates are received - Enabled - 30 Days. So hypothetically, if Microsoft release a bad update, the client wouldn't receive the security/quality update for 30 days. Is this the correct assumption, by which time Microsoft may have pulled the update and published another? If so, you can observe that here. Microsoft published two updates for 1809 in January 2021. Presumably only the newer 'fixed' update would get deployed? I've always generally preferred to be a month behind in rolling out updates for this very reason. Do not include drivers with Windows Updates - Enabled Thanks for reading!
-
Here's how to remove it silently - Logon Script - "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Programs\Loom\Uninstall Loom.exe" /currentuser /S GPP Regedit (deletion, user configuration) - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Value: electron.app.Loom This'll stop the application at logon, so no Notification Area icon. GPP Folder (deletion, computer configuration) - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Loom C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\loom-updater
-
O365 - Telling students and teachers apart by email address
Michael replied to OffAndOnAgain's topic in Cloud Services
All pupils I manage have the year of intake in their address to make it easy between the two. I'm amazed you've managed to run O365 for this long without running into issues early on - sending emails to the wrong John Smith! -
Here's the script I use All clients need to brought back on the LAN for this to work, which is OK as staff are still coming into schools periodically.
-
Here's the script I use to remove all versions of Flash - \\server\share\Flash\uninstall_flash_player.exe -uninstall wusa \\server\share\Flash\windows10.0-kb4577586-x64.msu /quiet /norestart Some applications (such as older versions of ActivInspire) complain about the absence of Flash, but other than that, nothing to report.
-
Wow, I'm amazed it got maxed out, but just goes to show the things to come! Suddenly 1Gb+ WAN speeds don't necessarily seem unusual anymore!
-
That's correct, Microsoft disabled automatic forwarding (even if a user specifies a forwarder) late last year. To create a new Outbound Rule, navigate to: https://protection.office.com/antispam and under 'Automatic Forwarding' set it to 'On'. Below this add the users or groups you want this to apply to.
-
What speed do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
-
I suspect the next version of Windows 10 and the next Windows 10 LTSC (released Q4 2021 potentially), won't have IE enabled or available, so you could approach it this way also and deploy an OS without IE built in from the start.
-
I suspect come August 2021, Microsoft will probably release an IE removal tool similar to the Flash removal tool for ease. Personally I'd leave alone for now, but you can easily set the default browser to Chrome or Edge via GPO.
-
Isn't there a hard limit when it comes to video sessions within Meet and Teams? Both support 200 odd, but not all video sessions. Most would be thumbnails or their initials only.
-
If you're having issues Sysprepping a clean 20H2 install, try Sysprepping a clean 2004 install. 20H2 is just 2004 with a modest sized patch.
-
I figured it out, much appreciated!
-
Hi all, Does anyone know if it's possible to delegate control to G Suite Reporting to a standard user? TIA!
-
Unless I'm missing something, you can't officially Sysprep an upgraded version of Windows 10. It'd have to be a new 20H2 install, then it'd work fine. Even if you bodged the registry, would you really want to do this on a reference image?
-
There are native 32Bit and 64Bit versions of Google Chrome. I have installers for both.
-
moving from BGFL365 shared Microsoft 365 tenancy
Michael replied to runcmd's topic in Cloud Services
Yes I've done it - they're supportive of the migration process and will rename all accounts to *.onmicrosoft.com and provide a CSV with all user accounts and passwords. You can then migrate the @school.bham.sch.uk domain as well as update your DNS records accordingly. You have 30 days, but you'll probably get longer in the current climate. -
Running this command should do the trick - \\server\share\uninstall_flash_player.exe -uninstall I can confirm it removes both versions. The next task is to see what applications it breaks before mass deploying!
-
The removal tool's available here and will be published in WSUS early 2021. This doesn't remove the NPAPI version, only the version built in version in the OS. It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft bundle this with a cumulative update (would be handy). Adobe have published guidance notes here It's years old, but should still apply.
-
Google Classroom - view only / remove download option
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
-
I know far from ideal, but try creating an SSID that only broadcasts in 2.4. I've found with some wireless cards over the years that they 'struggle' joining dual band SSIDs.
-
[sims] Capita is trying to sell off non-core businesses (SIMS is for sale)
Michael replied to psydii's topic in MIS Systems
I can completely understand why Capita wanted to sell SIMS and reduce its debts. At the same time a new buyer not only has the customer base, but can also bring a fresh perspective to the MIS development cycle. This is where I think lies the problem however - both SIMS and Parent Pay need complete rewrites and this will require a lot more money than the purchased price. It'll be interesting to see if SIMS 8 is scrapped and rewritten or whether development will continue and finally released. -
Problems here too - MS Exchange should be on the list too.
-
DNS server IP configuration for DNS Servers
Michael replied to maxrebo's topic in How do you do....it?
That's how I set it, then typically Google DNS acting as forwarders. Themselves can either be the actual IP or 127.0.0.1, then a secondary server IP.
