-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
staff having issues with Google Drive desktop app while at home
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
I'd rule out the proxy too. -
External People Viewing Free/Busy Information Of Internal Office 365 Users
Michael replied to FN-GM's topic in Cloud Services
I know you can share individual calendars outside the organisation/tenancy, but it literally is read only. Not 100% sure whether they can see the user status, but I'm guessing the answer would be no. -
I've not done this, but see no reason why it wouldn't work. Either an in place upgrade or mounting a virtual ISO will display on the boot screen - holding the Alt/Option key for 10 seconds at startup.
-
staff having issues with Google Drive desktop app while at home
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
That's good to hear, at least we can rule this out. I'd certainly mention this to Google, as it would rule out a proxy issue if users are seeing the issue on different networks. It could well be something else on the tenancy, but I'm just speculating now. -
staff having issues with Google Drive desktop app while at home
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
This'll remove the proxy yes. I'd highly recommend transparent proxy where possible. What proxy solution are you using? In saying that, it still doesn't explain why users are having the issue at home. This is where my tenancy configuration issue in combination of GD client used theory comes in (exactly as I've seen first hand in the past). -
staff having issues with Google Drive desktop app while at home
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
The only other possibility is something with the G Suite tenancy (many of us had this with GD v44). The fix is here, but I hope this ugly problem doesn't reappear! -
staff having issues with Google Drive desktop app while at home
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
Out of curiosity, do the files/folders appear correctly in a browser? If so it might be a proxy and/or Google Drive for Desktop client issue, but I've had very few reports with GD v49. Only the above which is quickly resolved updating the password. -
staff having issues with Google Drive desktop app while at home
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
I've not had the issue where files appear then disappear. Files appear missing, but when users sign out/delete cache and re-login using correct/update to date password, everything just works. I'm using transparent proxy at school. -
staff having issues with Google Drive desktop app while at home
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
Sign out of Drive and try deleting the Google Chrome cache (including passwords), then start again. Seems to do the trick. -
Hi all, A new phishing site doing the rounds: https://bham.vp4.me/confidential_document I'd suggest blocking this immediately.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Safeguarding Monitoring of staff devices
Michael replied to techie17's topic in How do you do....it?
Is it a privacy issue? No I don't think so. You may/may not have an AUP appear on screen each time, but the detailed AUP is typically written by someone in SLT (ironically), rather than someone who directly works in ICT. Acceptable/appropriate use comes to mind and safeguarding works both ways; protecting the interests of pupils and likewise protecting responsible adults guiding them through their education (whatever their role is). It's also a legal requirement. Acceptable use outside of work examples - online shopping in your lunch break, booking a holiday, posting on Edugeek, reading up on the news etc... anything beyond this probably is questionable. As for passwords - these are used to control access to resources in a simplistic way. There are absolutely loads of examples why passwords are needed to preserve privacy of data, for a multitude of reasons. I simply don't understand or accept the rationale behind "why do we need passwords"? -
Makes some sense, apart from the site isn't using ADFS, only AD Connect. I can only conclude this was/is some kind of glitch?
-
Interesting - I asked the user to delete their browser cache (using Google Chrome) and the issue's resolved, really odd. It reads login.microsoftonline.com as it should. Looking online ccs.login.microsoftonline.com is whitelisted, but still not sure what it's used for!?
-
Morning all, Has anyone ever seen the O365 URL read as: https://ccs.login.microsoftonline.com/ ? What does CCS stand for, as it appears to be breaking O365 branding, displaying the default O365 logo instead.
-
I'd also say that a 100Mb/s LL is too slow for that many devices, as I'm speculating you have Windows clients on site too. 200Mb/s and 300Mb/s+ connections have come down a lot and do make a huge difference.
-
Google Classroom will do all this. Pupils can sign in using a custom domain (belonging to school) or any gmail.com account for example.
-
Cant access encrypted documents sent by Birmingham City Council
Michael replied to a topic in Enterprise Software
The answer's in the error message - it'll be a security configuration issue on BCC's tenant. BCC needs to add the recipients email address(es) belonging to the school as external users, then it'll work.- 6 replies
-
- encrypted email
- office 2019
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Does Google Drive desktop have options to backup local folders?
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
Google Drive 49.0.8.0 - Updated first screen - Looks straight forward - Looks like you can only mirror My Drive and not Shared Drives (would have been nice) - Adding additional accounts maps as the next available drive - As far as I can tell though, you can't have one account Streaming and the other Mirroring, again would have been nice! -
Does Google Drive desktop have options to backup local folders?
Michael replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Cloud Services
Yes - they're shortly combining the two services come the end of July 2021. Google Drive for Desktop (File Stream renamed), will also include features of Backup and Sync in a single client. -
This all kind of reminds me when Windows Vista gave computer 'ratings', not that anyone really paid that much attention to it. It was purely advisory. The main difference between Apple and Microsoft predominately are that Apple manufacture the software as well as the hardware, whereas Microsoft don't, excluding Surface and XBOX hardware of course. This means there's a lot more varied hardware options. If Microsoft are sensible about it, the requirements should be tweak-able and life cycle policies should be longer for Enterprise/Education than that of home users. At some point they'll be a big Microsoft drive to encourage users to adopt W11 over W10, but it'll back fire if a lot of installs aren't compatible (for whatever the reason). I really wouldn't worry about it too much, as without a doubt, this is why Microsoft have Preview/Beta OSes - not only to test the OS, but also to obtain feedback from customers going forward. I very much doubt the requirements are set in stone, otherwise many of us will be running LTSC until 2029!
-
[sims] Capita is trying to sell off non-core businesses (SIMS is for sale)
Michael replied to psydii's topic in MIS Systems
I'd say that email is more about customer relationships/retention/engagement and any improvement to a product/service would always be widely welcomed. I'd say the road ahead is a busy one, as you're essentially going to need two development teams if the intention is to improve SIMS 7, whilst also focusing on SIMS 8. Maybe that's part of the clue however - how to bridge the gap to make migrating from SIMS 7 > SIMS 8 seamless as possible. In reality would it take another couple of years? Probably, but that's why customer engagement becomes more important. -
I guess it depends - my preferred method would always be to image a workstation 'as new' rather than upgrade W10 > W11 in time. I can't see how the Windows installer could differentiate at this level, so probably would be classed as a new computer.
-
It's more difficult to find a notebook without a built-in webcam these days. I'm sure the blu-tackers out there will carry on tacking. I'm sure it's probably to do with user authentication on a local/home user level rather than enterprise. The other possibility is because Teams is built in - I think this makes sense, as it saves users downloading/updating regularly and hopefully be a part of monthly updates.
-
The good things that I've read so far for Windows 11 - UEFI only x64 only Memory - 4GB's (mostly do-able) TPM only - the main difference between 1.2 and 2.0 are that of algorithms, which makes me think software or virtual TPMs may also become the norm. Eventually TPM 2.0 will be classed as less secure I'm sure in W11's life cycle. In terms of management, I think AD and GPOs are still here to say. Cloud solutions are no where near as flexible or granular, unless MS allow you to run a VM 'as is' in Azure, just as you could locally. If I'm wrong, then Windows Server 2022 isn't going to have a great deal within it!
-
Makes sense then! Primarily I'm still a 2016 shop!
