-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
So long as you have a valid license, you may as well upgrade to Papercut v21 (at the time of writing) on your existing print server and new print server.
-
This link details the correct parameters, so according to Adobe what I have set is correct. I think someone needs to nudge Adobe that it's not working!
-
Would you mind posting your export so we can compare?
-
Again Not Defined on the Default Domain Controllers policy.
-
On the Default Domain Policy, mine's Not Defined.
-
@paulkerton - Technologies scanning hands on the fly, not that I know of, but the military can probably read a newspaper from space. If it's not possible yet, it might be soon. @enjay - So it's not the encryption, more so the application purpose you're raising? I guess this is why we have consent procedures, but it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
-
So it's OK to have an encrypted database of fingerprints, but not an encrypted database of facial recognition for a school? Why? And given 97% of parents/carers gave consent, they knew what it was being used for. Legacy and cloud MIS solutions have pictures of children associated with their user profile. Is an MIS any more secure than a catering solution? I guess it depends if we're talking about the level of encryptions used and/or whether it's suitable full stop for a school altogether? I'm pretty sure they'll be a GDPR 2.0 at some point.
-
Just to feed back - the only niggly issues I'm seeing are devices with pending updates from WUfB which I use, but upon restarting/installing, this works fine 99% of the time thereafter. You get the odd stubborn device, but manually/remotely restarting the spooler on the device again resolves it; but this is very far and few in the grand scheme of things.
-
I'm kind of getting to this stage too, but would prefer if it was streamlined. Would be nice if a Google GPO would allow nomination of a third party app, such as Adobe.
-
I still don't have a solution to this, other than manually change (as above). The issue appears randomly and I've read articles as old as 2017 where this has become an issue with Google Chrome. You can't set file associations in a user context via GPO or a regedit, as it generates a random hash in the registry when initiated by a user. As above I'm already deploying an XML file in a computer context which is working in my tests. Beginning to wonder whether this is something user initialised, as I couldn't re-create the issue no matter what I tried. Anyone else had any joy?
-
Yes I set the GPOs as required, so it's future proof whether printers are deployed on a computer or user basis - it'll just work. Configure once and just forget.
-
Edit: That looks correct to me. All details you need are in a previous post I wrote here. Works with August/September/October updates in my testing.
-
See next post!
-
What's frustrating is if I manually set Google Chrome as the PDF viewer and reboot the machine, the GPO is applying correctly re-applying Adobe Reader as the default (in my user context). So the question is, given it's a machine GPO (the XML file), it's not quite clear why it's working for some and not all users as before suddenly?
-
Just an update on this, the above GPO does not work as expected, so I'm back to square one. The only working method is manually (as per my screenshot)!
-
Think I've resolved this, but no idea why it's become a problem now - Computer Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Google > Google Chrome - Always open PDF files externally - Enabled
-
Afternoon all, I use an XML file for file associations which has worked perfectly (for literally years), via GPO only to notice Google Chrome has now started to become the PDF default, despite my file specifying Adobe Reader DC as the default. I've told users who have raised the issue to change the default manually (which works), but not sure what I can do centrally to resolve this? Anyone else experienced this? Everything else is applying correctly.
-
Still - an extremely odd way of going about it, but I fully appreciate your position. From what you're saying (my understanding), the LA have provisioned the carrier (the actual fibre) regardless to each school in your county in turn, but then you can either go through their services or select a third party, like any of the ones named above. My only issue with this, is all providers will make a small margin off the carrier service, just as they will off the firewall/filtering/support. It probably would have made more sense for the LA to negotiate terms beforehand with one of the above who would do all - work the carrier and provide firewall/filtering and support going forward, unless the LA are hell bent on still doing this themselves? The LA should have just focused on the funding, if they have large pots to provide 1Gb/s connectivity.
-
Do you need a lease line? I'd highly recommend one. If you're currently on 35Mb/s > 1000Mb/s, you could save money reducing bandwidth down to say 300-500Mb/s with a decent filtering/firewall solution. The LAs approach seems somewhat odd though - provisioning the carrier, but no actual service. Always better to have one point of contact for both the carrier and service provision in the event something goes wrong.
-
As I wrote previously, Server 2016 all running September CU and my test VM running October CU - printers all deploying fine on LTSB16 and LTSC19.
-
Same here, but some clients still on August/September patch, 2016 Servers all patched up to September, printing works fine. I work with WUfB rather than WSUS, so all clients are 30 days behind the current patching level. I should thank you lot for being my beta testers month on month
-
Interesting - Taken from here. Looks like this registry entry is here to stay!
-
Strangest Issue I have got stuck on.....
Michael replied to QwertyMash's topic in Windows Server 2019
So are there any VLANs and is the router shared between more than one business?
