localzuk Posted January 19, 2008 Posted January 19, 2008 So, how quickly are people planning to go up to Windows Server 2008 after it is released? I'm just having a play and think that some of the new features will make a lot easier! Too many to list in fact! So, your thoughts... 1
Oops_my_bad Posted January 19, 2008 Posted January 19, 2008 If someone's willing to do a noobie guide to migration then I'd love to
john Posted January 19, 2008 Posted January 19, 2008 I will have a test one or two on the go fairly quickly, they won't be DCs probably be more like Application, Print, WDS (to allow multi-casting) etc maybe add a third DC which is 2008 to allow more control over Vista for when we move onto it. From what I have seen of it, its more like Server 2003 V2 rather than Vista Server, it certainly doesn't have the speed issues of Vista
Sylv3r Posted January 19, 2008 Posted January 19, 2008 We will probably setup a Virtual Machine with it on so we can have a play with it first before we start using it on our main servers.
contink Posted January 19, 2008 Posted January 19, 2008 I doubt my primary schools will need or want to spend the money until at least a year down the line and then some so I'll be playing with it myself on my test network and getting to know its peculiarities for a good while before I let any schools jump into that quagmire. In particular I'm waiting to see if 2008 is as "interesting" as Vista with it's GUI. If it's all pretty and no functionality it'll be a lot longer in coming.
john Posted January 19, 2008 Posted January 19, 2008 The GUI is like Server 2003 just a bit Vista tarted up from when I last used it, got a build from the Private Beta to try out when I get 10 mins. 1
Norphy Posted January 19, 2008 Posted January 19, 2008 We'll probably migrate some of our servers over to it but not all at once.
localzuk Posted January 19, 2008 Author Posted January 19, 2008 In particular I'm waiting to see if 2008 is as "interesting" as Vista with it's GUI. If it's all pretty and no functionality it'll be a lot longer in coming. The thing is, you can tell it to just install 'Core' and not have a GUI!! Or you can go with the normal install and have a GUI which is like 2003, but with everything in the same places as Vista. And no Aero.
john Posted January 20, 2008 Posted January 20, 2008 You probably could turn Aero on using some reg edits and service adjustments like you can make Server 2003 look like XP by turning on services that are disabled.
sidewinder Posted January 20, 2008 Posted January 20, 2008 I need to have a real play with it first, but put it this way - its an upgrade I will be wanting unlike Vista! Unless of course its awful, but I havent heard anything to that effect. Only worry is if SMT find out that it makes it easier to manage Vista and want it deployed...
Gatt Posted January 20, 2008 Posted January 20, 2008 Need to rebuild our domain at summer anyway onto new hardware, so might as well move to Windows 2008 From what I've seen of it I quite like it...
CyberNerd Posted January 20, 2008 Posted January 20, 2008 Straight away As soon as I know how to use it When SP1 comes out, or later When penguins inhabit hell... When there is a feature that I'm going to need, enough to warrant the cost of an upgrade
Michael Posted January 20, 2008 Posted January 20, 2008 I haven't actually seen or tested 2008 Server as yet, but it'll be interesting to see just how much difference there is between this and 2003 R2. I'm in no immediate rush and I voted to install Server 2008 once SP1 comes out. Unless you're using Windows Vista or XP SP3, there's no real need to upgrade in the short term.
elsiegee40 Posted January 20, 2008 Posted January 20, 2008 We're in no hurry. As a very small school with a 2K3 server that's only just 2 years old, I can see us staying put for the next couple of years.
localzuk Posted January 20, 2008 Author Posted January 20, 2008 One thing I've just found is the windows firewall policy controls are a huge improvement in 2008. Add in the relatively easy to us NAP system and I have another reason to upgrade. Also, add in the fact that network shares can be mapped via GPO rather than having to use scripts... And you can control local users and groups via group policies for computers, etc... I am actually looking forward to moving to it, as it will solve so many issues.
cookie_monster Posted January 21, 2008 Posted January 21, 2008 (edited) We'll probably be waiting for a while as 2003 R2 has most of the features we need for now and we don't have any Vista clients yet. Some of the features look excellent though and i think it will go on to be a v good server OS. --------------------------------------------------------------------- A couple of points: "From what I have seen of it, its more like Server 2003 V2 rather than Vista Server, it certainly doesn't have the speed issues of Vista" 2008 server is Vista, this is the first time that the client and server code base has been the same since 2000. It's not as sluggish as the Vista GUI is ditched in 2008 server. ---------------------------------------------------------------- "When SP1 comes out, or later" 2008 will be released after Vista SP1 and will be based on the SP1 code. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Edited January 21, 2008 by cookie_monster
mrforgetful Posted January 21, 2008 Posted January 21, 2008 You probably could turn Aero on using some reg edits and service adjustments like you can make Server 2003 look like XP by turning on services that are disabled. Its not never redegit you can just choose it from the Windows Components, can't remember the options off the top of my head though!
dan400007 Posted January 21, 2008 Posted January 21, 2008 (edited) You probably could turn Aero on using some reg edits and service adjustments like you can make Server 2003 look like XP by turning on services that are disabled. Some of the Aero style effects can be installed on Server 2008 by installing one of the 'Features' (Beware of that on Server 2008 you have Roles, Features for Roles and plain Features). They've made the option available for those who will be using TS. I'm currently planning to move several of our servers over to Server 2008 but thats mainly because we've shifting a lot of servers to VMWare. However the Domain Controller will be staying as is for the moment and won't think of migrating those until we start to consider Vista. Edited January 21, 2008 by dan400007
mrforgetful Posted January 21, 2008 Posted January 21, 2008 Desktop Experience A video at the following page:
webman Posted January 21, 2008 Posted January 21, 2008 Why on earth would you want Aero/effects on a server? Or even a GUI to start with?
cookie_monster Posted January 21, 2008 Posted January 21, 2008 Well i can see why a GUI is sometimes necessary, though it would be better to just install management tools on an admin station but the jazz is OTT.
Oops_my_bad Posted January 21, 2008 Posted January 21, 2008 Anyone know how much server 2008 will cost?
DMcCoy Posted January 21, 2008 Posted January 21, 2008 I want 2008 to get rid of the GUI! 20 VMs, all very specific roles, only a handful need a gui and related bloat.
mrforgetful Posted January 22, 2008 Posted January 22, 2008 (edited) Really on a dual quad core machine with 4Gb RAM, is the plain GUI really gonna be any issue at all? Edited January 22, 2008 by mrforgetful spelling lol
webman Posted January 22, 2008 Posted January 22, 2008 @mrforgetful: Depends what else the server's doing I would imagine. But the point is it is still a waste of resources and an inconvenience that a GUI is required to manage most of a Windows server.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now