-
Posts
430 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by buzzard
-
Agree with all the above, dealing with the issue is a must in whatever way fits in best for your situation, we do publish department stats monthly on our intranet for staff, so if it is one department they'll quickly see they're hogging the workforce
-
TBH I'd be surprised as there must have been some form of pressure to cause the issue, now if there was a defect in the screen that meant the pressure could have been alot lesss before failure is a different question, however, getting that proven is another question, just out of intrest whats the make manufacturer?
-
Is your current server good enough? I know this sound stupid but if the specs are good enough just stick in additional RAM and HDD space and you'll be fine, our print server in my old place was a reall old HP workstation that used to run bromcom on NT4, if it ever got a bit slow we just maxed out the memory. AFAIK it's still going and doing the job after 8 years, I do think we stuck on Server 2003. How many printers does it have on and how many users print to it?
-
Server Installs, destroying old HDD, conference, general tidy up of helpdesk and store
-
did someone say cake?
-
Smartboards and whiteboard markers...
buzzard replied to solitaire89's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
you sound surprised!!! -
might sound stupid but make sure the kb ribbon is seated correctly, it could be warming up > expanding with the heat and not making the correct contact, had a similar issue on a Laptop maybe a Toshiba L10 I think...
-
As above, it'll go well, if your budget is being broken down into cost centres, it'll get a bit complicated if you need to move money around! I did a 10 year plan when i got my first NM job, I believe they're still working from it with a few tweaks here and there! I guess the best pointer is don't be too specific keep it as general (but justifiable) as possible. Licences and support costs keep in there own pots, if you need to break them down for SMT/Goveners etc just show what makes up the figure, show your working, as the teachers always say!
-
BECTA to be shut down as part of Government cuts
buzzard replied to networkingNut's topic in IT News
BSF next!!! -
set up DFS that helps as you just have to change the name once in DFS then all GP etc points through the DFS root
-
It's Ok for me here with FF and IE8, opens in the current tab.
-
Dell and HP here, for us it came down to price. When I did quick calcs a few years ago in a previous post pre built came in a bit cheaper (not that much though) but it was good when we bought laptops for all staff (around the time of SIMS.net coming out) as our time was really taken up with supporting 250+ of those, it was nice to pick up the phone and pass all hardware faults over. If we could have had another Technician, we'd have tipped over to self built but as there was no chance of that we just fought for a bigger budget seling the idea af a formal rolling replacemnet that we'd done and taken to goveners etc.
-
All you can do is inform the class teacher, it's not you're job to police them, if you feel strongly about it for whatever reason discuss with whoever is in cahrge of the curriculum ICT and leave it with them, you can present them with the evidence. I'd rather spend the time doing something else, I can restrict all dal but the kids will always win, we just installed smoothwall and let that do it's thing, weekly logs get emailed to Teachers not to me! If they choose not to look then thats there problem. As i see it my fuction is to create the stats, SMT/Teachers then act or not on the info I provide.
-
lol I'd love that aswell, makes you look busy
-
[closed] bug/error: Duplicating words...
buzzard replied to Little-Miss's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Does anyone else see a pattern? [ducks] -
normally in secondry units I get called "geek" or "nerdy man" with "other" words insterted at random the best was one student making comments that I'm no good with "girls" as I work with computers. Made me smile all day (married with 5 kids)!
-
whats wrong with the old Humbrol Enamel? That or Gunze or Life colour acrylic, even the Tamiya Arylic paints from Hobbycraft etc would work, not sure on the "scratch resistance" but I'm sure with a few coats of a matt varnish type affair it'd be good enough.
-
How do your users report problems during lessons?
buzzard replied to apeo's topic in How do you do....it?
We use the One or Zero Helpdesk (older free one) for the 26 schools/units/teaching units we look after. Thel log jobs but tend to have a load more when we arrive on site. In a previous post in Bolton we did have a helpdesk (liberium) that very few people used, the norm in that school was the teacher to send a pupil down as a messanger with a note. if we where out it was slipped under the door. getting a user friendly way for staff to EASILY log calls (in a teacher easy type of way) is the key, above all no matter what the method used, ensure you and your team log a call on the system to quantify and record what it is you're doing! -
I'm split on this, if you have "ranks" then accept it on a site or don't use it, but I do feel if you have "ranks" then it does cause friction. They are good to have say Edugeek Staff, Supplier and Member, you then know where peple are coming from. Regarding the images they're nice graphics though and do fit in well. Good job!
-
[noob]OK so i'd set deny on the wrong printer!! it became obvious after testing it properly! the deny stops the printer from being mapped so solves the problem [/noob]
-
Hi, I've a rather frustrating problem as I'm no coding expert, i've the below vbs script that assigns printers and sets default based on OU, it's come from this valuble community in the first place and with some slight tweaking works a treat for us, the issue is that the centre manager now doesn't want student access to the colour laser, nice and easy, set deny on the printer ACL for students. Job done, however as this confuses them the colour printer is not to be on for students, just staff. Is there a way to incorporate this change into the script? maybe a 'are they a member of staff group?' type affair? I'd apreciate any help or pointers the assist in arriving at a solution! dim oAdSysInfo, sCompPath set WShShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set WShNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network") set oAdSysInfo = CreateObject("AdSystemInfo") Set oPrinters = WshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections ' Delete existing connections to network printers For i = 0 to oPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2 On Error Resume Next if Left(oPrinters.Item(i), 3) <> "lpt" And Left(oPrinters.Item(i), 3) <> "usb" And Left(oPrinters.Item(i), 2) <> "HP" then WshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection oPrinters.Item(i+1), true, true else WScript.Echo "No network printers found" end if Next ' Get the Computer Name sCompPath = oAdSysInfo.ComputerName ' Set the printer dependant on the OU name for the PC if InStr (1, sCompPath, "OU=admincomputers", 1) then WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-CLZR-5250N" WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" elseif InStr(1, SCompPath, "OU=laptops", 1) then WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-CLZR-5250N" WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" WShNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" elseif InStr(1, SCompPath, "OU=room1", 1) then WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-CLZR-5250N" WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" WShNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" elseif InStr(1, SCompPath, "OU=room2", 1) then WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-CLZR-5250N" WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" WShNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" elseif InStr(1, SCompPath, "OU=staffroom", 1) then WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-CLZR-5250N" WShNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" WShNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\1115-dc-004\LCH-MFD-W2330" else WScript.Echo "A default printer has not been assigned. Please contact ICT support via the helpdesk so that the problem can be resolved" end if Thanks for looking, now back to trying to code!! Ben
-
I have to say we use the vcd tool from MS to mount the ISO to test then Truecrypt would continue, nice to know there's a switch to turn off the step.
-
I'm surprise ME still works, I wonder what AV works with it!
-
Projector purchase, how would you play this?
buzzard replied to Ex-MGSTech's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
I'd buy at the cheaper price, in all honesty how often do you invoke the warranty on projectors? The cost saving in my opinion means you could get another one as a spare incase of failure and an invalid warranty
