Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

buzzard

Members
  • Posts

    430
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by buzzard

  1. As tom indicates, hotmail accounts do have the senders IP not the mail servers, I got caught out on an office wind up on it!! I was the only person living in Bolton with an NTL connection..
  2. lol I wonder why thats happened!!!
  3. I assume this was using FOG Server, what Linux dist are you using? I had major issues using Fedora 11, I tried Ubuntu 8.10 and al my issues went away! is this a new install or has it just started happening
  4. i went in to buy a headlight bulb for my dads passat, the assistant went "Which headlight is it? The one for driving at night or the one you use to flash with?" After a 5 minute discussion on the "one you flash with" i walked out and went to a local independant one for the bulb!
  5. I always specify that the feed to the projector is a fish key switched fused spur to stop staff from "turning off" the projector this then feeds a single unswitched socket on the ceiling that we can plug anything into, obviously if you need to swap a projector and it uses a different plug then ther's no issue with calling a sparky out.
  6. is it not the group membership under security filtering in GPMC that he's refering to???
  7. was there not an option somewhere that allowed multiple users to use 1 access db somewhere?? Ah Ok after looking I now realise that ajbritton has answered it with the FE = Front End!!! not quite the answer but explained it for the relative Access novice that I am!! - Using MS Access: Multiple users of Access database, concurrent usage, initial problem
  8. or use the GUI and tick the "save as script" tickbox they always work for me!
  9. another vote for Robocopy, both with and without the GUI!
  10. Strange as it seems the upgrade from Xp has not thrown up any errors with drivers etc, after going through device manager one at a time theres no difference bar the two devices, they don't appear on the first one built straight from the Disc! Problem sorted !
  11. Anyone? I'm even running an upgrade on the XP machine now to see it that works!!
  12. Don't get me started on consoles!!
  13. I wonder if anyone can help I've just had some laptops in to image they where shipped with XP on and d so imaging with Vista Business, my issue is that I am having difficulty in locating some drivers, My model is not listed on the website, I've been trhrough all the listed (167) drivers and tried each one to no avail. I've compared the xp device manager to the VB and the only missing item is the 1394 bit under Network Adapters. The items I'm having issues with are PCI Simple Communications Controller listed under Other Devices Microsoft ISATAP Adapter listed under Network Adapters - Warning is unable to load driver The laptop is a Lenovo R500 model 2718-W3G Any help if others have this model would be appreciated!!!
  14. The issue is resolved by rebuilding the PC. There was one machine working fine, same OU all identical. No idea why all bar 1 machine would do this, but a rebuild clears any errors. Regarding the "wrong" name. I never build internal networks with the actual domain name. ie i would use mckee.sch as opposed to the lancs.sch.uk one. That way it would always keep the internal stuff where it's supposed to be. We never commisioned the system, we just get the problems they caused Oh and the server name isn't mckee it's the 1117-SR-001 bit
  15. sorry for the delay just been banging my head! The Server IP is static on 230, it's our standard address. if I ping mckee.lancs.sch.uk from the server it resolves to the 230 address, from the client I can ping it as well with it resolving it to 230. This is with hosts files cleared aswell. but if you type run > \\mckee.lancs.sch.uk it gives network path not found message. I'm going mad!
  16. mmm now by adding in the following lines in it was then able to resolve it 10.74.50.230 mckee 10.74.50.230 mckee.lancs.sch.uk Now why isn't thi coming down from the server as it did before, or why's it not resolving through DNS!!!
  17. Thanks for the reply! this is waht I've got from the client That all looks fine to me? If I run the full domian name this is where it starts throwing up issues. Now this issue appears to be trying to resolve the namespace by going to nominet as the idiots who set it up used the actual web domain name. However this has been working fine for the last 18 months in this setup!!!
  18. Now recreated DFS to no avail. has anyone any pointers to what to test, I've tried so many things I can't remember what I've tested!!! The only thing that was changed at the time was stopping students running task manager!
  19. Anyone help, driving me nuts! When I use nslookup from the server to test the loopback address all is working fine.... giving me a headachE!! again when running nslookup on the schoolname.lancs.sch.uk it resolves fine and all is well, but when you type it in the run command just get '\\schoolname.lancs.sch.uk the network path was not found'
  20. Right a funny issue has occured in one of our units, the guy who dealt with it is off sick so forgive the holes in this! The Server is the sole DC and is 2003R2. It's domain name (which is wrong) has been set to schoolname.lancs.sch.uk. Now when I type in the run command on the server \\schoolname\dfsshare it works, now from a client it doesn't. This is cocking up all GP as they use DFS for everything The main difference I can see between this and another site is this site has a few DNS Suffix Search Lists which are as follows schoolname.lancs.sch.uk lancs.sch.uk sch.uk All works fine from the server, and if I substitute the domain name for server IP/share the drive mappings work, however anyting that uses the full domain name (virtually everthinng!) fails and fills the local clients event log. all pointing to failure to resolve name/resource unavailable. the Client IP details are identical (bar actual address) to the server. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
  21. Am i right in thinking they only have a 10/100 card in them? I see there's a PCI slot cover on the back, now I'm assuming if you put in a 90 deg PCI thingy you could stick a Gig NIC in and use as My FOG Server? Mine has a 120Gb drive, but obviously any old PATA drive can be used. Unfortunatly mines looking like its dead, time to break out the screwdriver and multi meter!
  22. buzzard

    Sysprep

    filesystem=leavealone is why it's not wiping the data I think if you just put in * it will format but i'll check my sif's in a bit! if you've got UnattendSwitch="yes" it will skip mini setup, so I'd put that in set to no under the unattended section. The full reference for the answer file is under the deployment tools on the XP CD ref.chm rings a bell ahh ok - FileSystem=CovertNTFS will format the drive the * will prompt you see - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155197/en-us - NT page, cant find XP one! and - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457100.aspx for reference
  23. Did you ever get it working Simon? the NC10's just come up with "A Disk Read Error Occured press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" I need them ready for tommorow!!!
  24. I always used to use a moderated calander in public folders on Exchange for all room/ resource bookings. Simple for staff training!
  25. As petes said need sto use the UNC path, won't work from a local machine ie the server mapped to itself (if you follow!) better explained by MS taken from - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/scrfaq.mspx
×
×
  • Create New...