Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. My two boys often have Weetos, but that appears to be a complete inability to control direction - I'm hoping they grow out of it sooner rather later
  2. I hear @ICTDirect_Dave is never beaten to a discount - http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/186116-badly-labelled-products-37.html#post1902061
  3. Ditto

    SSRS Report Builder

    Used to when I worked on Progresso. I tended to modify standard reports too - to be honest, I found SSRS part science, part magic! With Progresso, I think their data model made life harder, but they were tackling that - @SteveSaywell, how is it nowadays? I'd hope iSAMS was a cleaner model, but don't know that is he case.
  4. @mavhc, I recently learnt brevity can lead to misinterpretation! @localzuk and @Danp - feast time!!!
  5. Which is good news! The daily rate trend line has been moving upwards for a few weeks now- I wonder if Moderna is helping?
  6. If only! Clarified the original post, although I know you know really
  7. Second highest number of vaccines given in the UK on Saturday. Over 60 million jabs given. *** EDIT - for clarity 60 million in total since the start, not on Saturday, merely a 1/4 million on Saturday *** As an aside, China is heading towards 20 million a day - which is slightly higher than we achieved Saturday.
  8. No offense @ICTDirect_Dave! Apparently these are 'tough' - but I'm not sure I'd recommend dropping them and standing on them though. Not exactly subtle sales though The price is good and I can see these being a good solution in many situations in schools.
  9. External PSU or some wizardry inside the case? Any SSD options?
  10. Ditto

    Dust blower?

    Cheapest solution so far? With the current weather, just take lids off and let mother nature do the job - let's hope June offers a natural drying solution!
  11. Coughing and wheezing due to asthma flare up after nothing bar a couple of allergy related flare ups in 40 years. GP recommended Covid test. All very smooth as a process, but got invited into a research project, so had 2 LFTs with nose only swab and one PCR, throat and nose. LFT's negative, hopefully PCR result confirms the same shortly, otherwise won't look good for LFTs!
  12. Signed - currently at ~ 980 000
  13. When I was at a 'Google' school we (often office staff once I trained them on forms creation) used Google Forms extensively to collect data from parents. We found the vast majority did so and I think most did so for convenience. We had one objector, he just didn't trust Google at any level and refused to use their products. That was a challenge because he wanted to register to a limited seating viewing of a school play his son was in. in the end, he was asked to fill in a paper copy. As much as anything, what we learnt is many parents need mobile phone devices supported, so Google Forms worked well.
  14. @superaz300, we are almost half way through you first academic year as a Network Manager. How are things going and which bits if advice seemed most useful with the value of hindsight?
  15. it's important to take a rest - the are many other factors that put our lives at risk beyond covid - this one is just three hours old - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57139434
  16. I think you are right to expect this will crop up more as time goes by. The charity I work provides a lot of support services to Children and Young people, and that includes the LGBQT+ communities. Over the last year I have seen a massive increase in staff with email signatures that include "she/her/hers" or "he/him/his", "they/them/theirs etc. after the name and job role. I don't know about SIMS, but the question is valid for all MIS. I wondered what the census could cope with and the validation is as follows: [TABLE=width: 1084] [TR] [TD]CS002[/TD] [TD]Gender[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]0[/TD] [TD]Not Known (gender has not been recorded). Also covers gender of unborn child.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]1[/TD] [TD]Male [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]2[/TD] [TD]Female[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]9[/TD] [TD]Not Specified (indeterminate; unable to be classified as either male or female)[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Any MIS supporting alternative pronouns is going to need to have a translation and that could cause some to be uncomfortable with the mapping. Perhaps DfE will expand their list in time.
  17. I believe either is fine, but you'd be better placed if you can show evidence that the permission was given by the appropriate person. So signature is OK if paper based. If it is the pupil giving permission from a school google account and requires you to be signed in, that would be OK. If it's a Google Form but doesn't require you to be logged in, but perhaps the form filler provides an email address or DOB as id verification, it's not as good. There is a argument that requiring permission is not required if you give notice of use of data. BUT, as this is Special Category Data that would take some defending and it's not a view shared by DfE. Have a look at the non-statutory advice here. Whether 'written' excludes 'electronically written' I don't know, but I think if you follow the advise in this document, you will have shown due care from a DPA/GDPR perspective. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/692116/Protection_of_Biometric_Information.pdf
  18. FOI to the LA's to see how much income they get?
  19. The recently announced gov scheme for over 19's who don't have a level 3 (A' level etc.) qualification may mean you can pursue some free training. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/find-a-free-level-3-qualification/list-of-free-level-3-qualifications-available-to-eligible-adults#digital There looks to be a decent mix of academic and vocational options. Skills bootcamps also an option, but awaiting more details. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-skills-fund#skills-bootcamps
  20. Worse than that, I doubt the legality of it. What they are failing to realise is that this data is the pupil's data, not theirs. I guess they are not passing the money on to the data owners! I would be very interested to hear ICO's view on this and I really would hope DfE are disapproving. So no, you're not wrong thinking it's ridiculous and you not being a tight fisted scrooge. Besides, the data is out of date already. Something like FSM could have changed today. So, for me, I'd go with 'scandalous'. I'm going to call on @GrumbleDook for an opinion on this one. One last thought - are you sure it's from the LA - it's sufficiently dodgy practice I'd even wonder if it's a scam!
  21. Nope, but they support the children.
  22. By a happy coincidence, I was reviewing one of our programmes we run in schools. It is titled "Childrens Wellbeing Practioners". Apart from the misspelling (miss-spelling?!) of 'Practitioner' (craftily avoids using the plural), who'd like to recommend correct use of apostrophes and possibly hyphens.
×
×
  • Create New...