Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. Exactly, in fact just consider the distribution of the vaccines. I doubt every country (or county) could produce and distribute it's own vaccines.
  2. Just a reminder that I'm not advocating unnecessary movement, but it remains unrealistic that restricting movement as you propose will be the singular solution to this or any other pandemic.
  3. If only it were as simple as people stopping moving for a few months. But it isn't, it's already been more than that and mitigations globally are going to be in place off and on. We need to remember that the mitigations (including lockdowns) have a very negative impact on some people's health and wellbeing. There's is not going to a singular strategy to get all people back to a pre-pandemic world, it's much more complicated than that. Global vaccinations is probably the strongest strategy at the moment, but as evident in recent weeks, even that has problems for some and they most likely they will need to be developed against variants. For those that can stop or reduce their movement, they should as it helps and I'm one of those people, but I have the good fortune to work remotely effectively and have space to exercise alone outside - not all people are in such a position.
  4. I have to admit I wasn't thinking holidays, more from a work and domestic point of view. For sure travel options over the last couple of centuries have expanded exponentially and it's a major reason the virus has spread so fast and so far and that also contributes to the number of variants.
  5. Home Alone, Amazon Prime - really didn't go down well with the kids. Took way too long to get to the slapstick comedy action and when there, it was short lived and not that exciting. Perhaps we've seen too much of them over the years.
  6. I've been offered jab 2 at the end of next week - Pfizer. That'll be 11 weeks an 1 day. 1 week later, in theory, I'm as protected as I can be. Yet, in spite of this, I can't say I'll feel elated. There's still much further to go, both for family, friends and globally, before we can return to something nearer normality.
  7. But moving about is such a fundamental part of being human, to just say stop is unrealistic. But as humans, we don't give up, we look for alternative solutions.
  8. My perception is the current plan buys time to roll out vaccination and prevents the NHS collapsing, but it comes at economic and other health cost. How things will look once everyone has had a vaccine offered, only time will reveal, but the global picture has to be considered. New variants remains a great unknown. History shows viruses often become less lethal to survive, but we've never been a more populated and integrated world, so that path is perhaps less likely in our lifetime. Science seems to be confident of developing a defence against new strains quickly, which up to a point, is what happens with common flu. No easy answers here, but it shows the value of science and why it should always be invested in.
  9. What do take away from this article? The statistical modelling is interesting and the graphic visualisations aid understanding. I suspect the researchers used R programming language with plug-ins - they look familiar in style to something I did a few years ago. At it's simplest, the article seems to confirm the so-called UK variant is behind the current surge in Europe, in part as it's makes people much more infectious and it has become a dominant strain and will do elsewhere - at least until another variant comes along to compete. Strategies to defend against the virus remain as before and it even talks about limited closure in education. Finally, it talks vaccines and how important they are as a way forward. I talks about accelerated vaccine programmes - I'm not sure we can go a lot faster in the UK until supplies of currently approved vaccines increase or new ones are approved and produced at scale. For the much of the rest of the globe, vaccine roll-out has a huge way to go and given the shenanigans seen within the continent of Europe (see https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/08/germany-seeks-russia-talks-over-possible-supply-of-sputnik-v-covid-vaccine), I'm not confident the global rollout will be as quick as it could be.
  10. Paddington - just turned 12 year old son only agreed to watch first 15 minutes as he thought it would be too childish - he watched the lot! He cringed at the toothbrush/ear cleaner bit, laughed a lot, so no complaints.
  11. I've been shy to admit to a first dose as I was slightly embarrassed to be invited, but because the charity I work for is in partnership with a health care trust and working on a sizeable NHS contract, all frontline partner staff (and their support staff hence me being included) got invited to have a jab at back end of January. This effectively jumped me from Group 8 to Group 2. The booking was handled internally via the NHS trust. Whilst they didn't give a second appointment at the time, they did collect contact details and a couple of days ago I got a text and email confirmation for second jab in two weeks time. I had wondered whether second jabs were bookable online and it is interesting to see @jamk confirm that is the case. I was in the situation where I may have moved employer between jabs so had a keen interest in the possibility. What I have learnt over time is there is quite a bit of variation of who gets called up and how second appointments are manged. The really good news is that as a country we are approaching 60% vaccine rate and that's something I am hugely thankful about, for older relatives, many others including immuno-compromised friends and rather selfishly myself.
  12. With Roger and Salamander, I think you'll be on to a winner!
  13. Pleased for you - our local practice has receptionists who clearly gone to the same 'customer service training' school!
  14. At this rate, you won't need to renew your TV license! The first video looks more like a cage fight!
  15. On a personal front, I liked this and I'm also partial to a chicken classic burger! However, buddies in my cycling group (mostly off road) are doing plenty for the economy. For example, a few bought lights from this manufacturer. https://exposurelights.com/products/bike/mtb-lights - now, as one of our crowd knows the MD of the company, he got a 20% discount, but look at those prices!!! Apparently, one the the rear lights gets brighter as you brake due to inbuilt sensors! Cool, but not entirely necessary! To top it all, one has crossed to the dark side (sorry @mikeprice!), has broken ranks and bought an e-bike. To be fair, he went second hand, but even then - 4 grand!!! It's a Levo, and very nice, but I doubt I've spent that on all the bikes for myself, my kids and my wife in a lifetime.
  16. A useful tip, under Formula (version dependent) there is an 'Evaluate Formula' which is a sort of function debugger. It can often highlight the problem as it steps through your code.
  17. Try changing CONCAT to CONCATENATE - I think only newer version of excel support the shorter version. I'm not sure this will fully sort things, but you might get #VALUE, which will actually be progress. Could you repost what you have at this point.
  18. There may be a different solution - a couple of questions first. This appears to be progress measure calculation - is that the case? I do recall seeing something where a reading test (Suffolk Reading Score) was taken and it gave a measure that was effectively a 'reading age'. I think Toe-by-toe have something similar! i.e. are we dealing in a measure that is exclusively months (which can of course be converted to years and months). Also, if this is related to an age or a day date, such as birth date, it doesn't allow a pure mathematical conversion to months, not least because 'a month' is a different number of days depending on which month (and year if you take leap years in to account!) it is. Essentially, if you can have the unit values as an integer number of months, a formula along the following lines would work. =CONCATENATE(INT(A2/12)," Years ",MOD(A2,12), " Months") where A2 contains the number of months being converted.
  19. The pride shown by the staff in the video at this vaccine production plant is heart-warming. See video in https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56537389
  20. I think I could have placed this in one of three forum categories, but let's plump for this one! Does anyone have any experience of implementing MS Teams Voice? I'm looking for guidance on the sort of questions to ask and look out for gotchas. My governance school, driven by the parent trust, has recently tried to implement Teams Voice, and it appears to be a bit of a mess. Some bits seemed to have been done OK, but calls between schools have had significant delay making conversations the equivalent to talking to someone on the moon. Incoming calls at times appear to go to an automated American accented stranger! I believe they are sorting the issues out, but the process appears to have exposed the recently installed Gigabit solution is a shared line in spite of expectations to the contrary! The trust pays a third party support team a significant sum so the implementation should have had the right expertise in place. However it appears finger pointing is being directed at the internal IT technician! When I probe deeper, the ranks tend to close and the 'operational' card gets pulled. When I did a 'strategic' holding to account and asked for a cost analysis and return time on investment, there really wasn't a good answer. At one point, the line "the IT provider said this was latest way to go and we want to be on the latest technology" - Arrgggghhhh - Shiny, shiny!!! Anyway, I have just learnt my charity employer is now looking to implement Teams voice so I want to give any advice and pointers based on others experience. Again, we have a third party support company, but the real challenge is finding a way to see if the self-proclaimed 'experts' are indeed that. Of course, we should start with 'What are we trying to achieve here'. I don't have full details, but I do know they want to enable the reception desk to be able to manage calls remotely rather than going in to the office. I know they want some automation to give a 24x7 call management experience. Anything that helps reduce expenditure (particularly to out-going calls) will be a winner. In anticipation of the suggestion to look at FreePBX, I suspect it will be a non-starter due to lack of knowledge within organisation and the leadership team would need a lot of convincing to consider that route. Their view would be that we pay for M365 and extending to include 'Voice' is a logical extension to that and would come with support from our already paid IT provider. Personally, I'm more open minded, but to consider any Open Source route, I'd need a water tight case to present, fully detailed instructions on how to set it up, with costs and a convincing reply to 'How is this supported in the long run without in-house expertise'.
  21. Live Heron watch webcam - nice clear pictures. https://www.greensandtrust.org/Event/heron-watch-21
  22. Ditto

    MySQL and Python

    I think it would be better to consider the OPs original question and not let the topic drift. @synaesthesia did with the suggestion around online solutions. I'd +1 that approach for ease of setup alone. Other ideas would be using something like VBox. This has been discussed in lots other threads. The security issue is important, but it's not the only thing to consider.
  23. A while back, in a previous job, one of our governors (don't ask!) switched on the option that led to a large number of staff mobile devices appearing. From memory, I think it ways all iPhones and not Android, but that may not be accurate. Anyway, I saw this ability to wipe devices and whilst tempted to test it (and make a point ) I decided to back out the change. What really struck me is that not one member of staff realised. Clearly quite a few of them were logging in to their school G Suite accounts on personal devices, in spite of them all having access via managed Chromebooks.
  24. Ditto

    Bromcom or Arbor

    I'm unconvinced about the usefulness of that site other than an initial guide. Every time I renewed a license when I had that responsibility, I negotiated multiple quotes and prices depending on length of renewal. I generally had success in getting costs down over the period of time I was involved. When I got quotes from 3 or 4 suppliers when considering a change of provider, it was true that start up cost varied enormously.
×
×
  • Create New...