Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. Ditto

    Bromcom or Arbor

    Did you find much variation in costs?
  2. Super photo - what were you doing up at 3am? I love the big ears! Looks to be reading the article!
  3. Is he mocking a classic?!!
  4. No worst, but favourite would be The Spy Who Loved Me. Very much because it was a big deal as a young teenager getting in to Chelmsford Odeon where they had the Lotus Esprit in the foyer. Probably a good watch still if you tune in to the corniness of the era! Great opening scenes - I can remember to this day the cheer when the Union jack parachute opened up and filled the screen.
  5. Good to see another country doing well with their vaccine roll-out - Chile. In spite of this they have reached a new daily record of cases recently with some hospitals struggling.
  6. @mikeprice - have you split something in your keyboard?!
  7. Not a daft question at all and an interesting topic. In truth, I don't really know why, however I have heard two things, one if which has proved to be true for a friend. Firstly, if you have had the virus, you are more likely to have more severe post vaccine symptoms with Pfizer. Secondly, I believe the medical view is the vaccine gives longer term protection than having the virus. But, in truth I doubt we'll all know fully until quite a lot more time has passed.
  8. Ditto

    Bromcom or Arbor

    Are you primary, secondary or other? Both are probably in the top three for consideration, but I'm interested what it is about Arbor that gets your vote over Bromcom. I have to admit when I looked in to the companies, I warmed to Arbor's culture an business model. Although not a functional or financial factor, for me it could be influence my decision if making a recommendation.
  9. That post of mine reminded me of a well known Edugeeker recognised by short simple replies, but sometimes there's a nugget in there
  10. Free school meals for all? Funded by the savings on all that technology - remainder, if any, by a fractional tax hike.
  11. Thanks - I've sent off for a quote. 3DPrintWorks has come back at £6 each + 10 P&P, which for a run of 12 or 24 is a too steep for me! 3D London were nearer £2 each, so might have to take a chance in spite of recent Trust pilot reviews.
  12. Would anyone be able to recommend a 3D printing service company. I need to get a batch of 24, 6cm diameter 'rings' to overcome a GU10 light challenge. I had previously been recommended 3d London 3D printing but recent trust pilot reviews aren't great. I'm awaiting a quote from 3DPrintWorks that have better recent trust pilot reviews. I don't have school access 3D printing, but I need high quality finish so I am hoping a commercial printer is the best route. If anyone has used anyone else and would recommend (or not!), I would be keen to hear.
  13. Full disclosure: I'm pinching this from local social media, but I liked it and it is topical! I’m going to wait for the Jamaican vaccine made by Rasta Zeneca.
  14. Yep, keep trying, it's a continually changing situation. There is contradictory news stories whizzing around - only yesterday it was reported to expect an increase in vaccination rates due to a shipment from India. A levelling off of first vaccine rates is to be expected as the 12 week period for dose two is imminent in another 2 -3 weeks due to the rapid increase in first dose rates 9 to 10 weeks ago. The added challenge with those, is needing a matched vaccine. The rollout has been excellent to date, so I have my fingers crossed it continues as we move to higher 2nd dose rates.
  15. As touched on by others, the purpose of the number on the card is a key question? What else is on the card - photo, name, class group? If you do get to the point where you have a need and valid purpose, hexadecimal can be more space efficient. Also, perhaps a bar code or QR code could be of use. Knowing what the card is being used would help us offer best advice. In many schools (mostly secondary), they use RFID cards with dedicated printers to include a photo for Id, and a unique code to support linking to lunch payments and managed, chargeable printing solutions.
  16. I had given consideration to the comparison with Pfizer and not come to any conclusion, but noted that it didn't seem to be a topic widely discussed in the media. It would be helpful to know the percentage of Pfizer vs AZ jabs in each country, but that report includes an observation by Prof. Evans that notes, in the UK at least, the data is amazingly similar between the two in terms of blood clot incidences. Perhaps Norway is only using AZ? If not, you'd think they'd pause Pfizer vaccines too?
  17. Seems like we need a technical solution that does away with the need for a remote. I know there are phone based solutions, but too many cost and problems there. How about voice control, where the voice recognition is person specific? Maybe I should rush off and submit to the patent office - but if it isn't already done, I'd be amazed. *** EDIT *** this has got my creative side thinking. How about a GPS tracking device in each remote - you'd then tackle the underlying issue.
  18. Yes, saw that and it was interesting. Also, the suggestion that if you have had the virus, you might have a stronger reaction, which given this journalists role, you'd think is a distinct possibility. I was also struck by the end outcome in terms of immunity level was the same regardless of age, but your reaction to the vaccine became less severe with age. At last! A benefit of getting older
  19. I fear there is a EU political influence (and listening to coverage in Russia, there is outright propaganda) which is undermining the situation and discussion - beyond that I'll stay off politics and request others do the same. The standard line is that their is no evidence to support a link between the vaccine and the blood clots. As you point out, the data suggests potentially the opposite at a holistic level. Interestingly, the virus has shown it can cause severe thickening and clotting of blood, but I've yet to see much discussion about this in relation to the vaccine. You'd think with a vaccine that in some ways mimics the virus, that some would jump to a linked conclusion. Equally, there isn't really strong proof that the vaccine isn't responsible for the individual cases of clotting either, as each of those impacted has their own unique DNA and life environment. It's the old issue of correlation and causation. It's a hard fact that researching each of the bumps along the way is going to be extremely costly and very time consuming. Sadly, this virus isn't going to give any of us time. In this scenario, we're left with decision making at a super-group level and the evidence, IMHO, is that on the balance of risks, it's going to save more lives continuing to continuing to use AZ than not. I expect those countries that have suspended AZ use, will soon back track. I just can't see evidence coming forward (bar a dodgy batch - and I find that unlikely) to support not doing so.
  20. Gees, that's a way to go! I can smell the burning plastic from here - I can't imagine it does the soldering iron tip much good!
  21. Interesting. Do the NHS or linked systems know that detail? Either way, it's a fantastic thing we are progressing at such speed with the roll out.
  22. HBTY for Monday! Over 50 is over 50 though - does it calculate one's DOB retrospectively?
  23. Hmmmm.... when I posted the link in a WhatsUp group, the banner that is generated says use this 'if you have been contacted'. This nearby link, https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/how-you-will-be-contacted/ , says over 50 don't need to wait to be contacted. Could it be it takes a while for the system roll-out to get itself fully up to date?
  24. I was explained to me at a LGB meeting, by the parent trust deputy CEO, that the situation differs between primary and secondary. The explanation was that secondary schools were regarded as 'controlled testing sites' and that means no PCR re-test. With primary testing being administered at home, PCR is allowed. I can't really comment on the logic, but I wonder if there is a concern about PCR test capacity?
  25. "Avatar reclaims title as highest-grossing film". Having seen this on BBC website this morning, I had to check my Amazon Prime account this morning as we watched it last night. It was indeed an excellent film. Fortunately the headline is purely a coincidence!
×
×
  • Create New...