Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. Well, I guess in some that's true, but even including the so called variants. Couple of issues; borders could only have been fully closed after it had already got out as it wasn't spotted in time - and it's unlikely to ever to have been. Second, shutting down borders 100% globally is not realistic, they are other factors to consider and some of those would include consequences of death. That's the trouble with reality, it really gets in the way at times.
  2. What percentage of infection is knowingly linked to someone traveling in to the country versus the percentage internally transmitted.
  3. to all newbies and recent returners. If forums were lagers, this one would be 'Carlsberg'.
  4. Thanks - love these photos. This takes me back - did NZ quite a while ago, over a decade ago. Still have strong memories of it. We got to Kapiti Island which if I remember rightly, we needed a special permit. We had a close-up (probably too close) meeting with a Cassowary. Highlight was probably Kayaking on Doubtful Sound and Tongario Alpine crossing. Oh, and the helicopter ride to The Remarkables where the pilot had to 'fly' the helicopter on the ground to stop it toppling over whilst we popped outside for a few minutes. Oh, and the whale watching and one week bike tour, and the jet boat and .... wow this had brought back a lot of memories! If there was one thing I wish I could bring back from NZ, it is the attitude to protecting the environment, especially in South Island. The complete lack of rubbish in the countryside versus the endless detritus dumped by our locals and a stack load of fly-tipping. Grrr... best stick with the good memories!
  5. Tough bike ride today - stunning weather and Surrey Hills looking great. Photos taken by Mrs Ditto on iPhone XS
  6. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I suggest if @Andrew_C 's cat is right, the cat should get a tasty treat. If you are right, @Andrew_C sends you a treat. Statistically, I think we will have to look at rate of change rather than absolute numbers. For the real data gurus, perhaps we should get someone to calculate if any change is statistically significant over the preceding 4 weeks.
  7. Weekly average vaccinations (https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations) seemed to have dropped quite a bit in the last 1 or 2 weeks, even allowing for 2nd doses. Is this a reflection of the variation in supply or are there other factors?
  8. I wonder if we will see an increase in Covid-19 cases after March the 8th when all the schools go back and use LFTs. Presumably a number of asymptomatic cases that would otherwise be undetected will appear in the daily figures.
  9. I'm not surprised. Just confirms how p*nts the original piece of journalism was! I do wish UK journalism was thoroughly shaken-up to to proper impartial investigative reporting - I have a feeling there is a huge amount of serious topics out there to investigate and report on.
  10. What an appalling piece of journalism! @localzuk has it nailed - clickbait! In the video clip, nowhere does the CEO Greg Jackson say they don't have an HR department. It's not a comment backed up in the written article. The same is true of the statement of no IT Department. Even if they do exist under another name, it's irrelevant. Unfortunately, that's led this thread down a route based on bad journalism. What Greg Jackson does talk about is making use of staff creativity, taking responsibility, removing bureaucracy and having a passion about your work to provide the best customer experience. The article mentions training to enable staff to have the skills to do their job more effectively. A discussion on those topics would be much more interesting.
  11. I had spotted the LDAP and Advanced Endpoint management, not sure why I didn't list it! For the metadata and document approvals, I ignored that as it is currently only in BETA. Also ignored Dial-in as it's a US feature only. Perhaps some of the newly developed features won't get to the free version so quickly, of at all. Key question is how many schools currently on G Suite for Education will feel the need to move to above Fundamentals and need to find more from their budget.
  12. Looks to be CloudSearch only? So on reflection, most schools on the free version should be OK.
  13. Live since 3:00pm. I hope it remains available once finished. So, is Fundamentals 100% equivalent to G Suite for Education, except for 100TB space rather than 'unlimited'? *** EDIT **** A replay will be available for you to watch anytime after February 19th, 2021. The presentation was highly polished, highly professional and weaved the story around the pandemic in a global way. It mixed educational stories from around the globe, and in spite of it being very Google promotional, it conveyed a lot of information about how G Suite for Education is moving forwards. There are a number of new features in the pipeline that I'm sure many will look forward to using. For me, the stand out was the focus on accessibility and seeing a blind History teacher in Korea teaching using Google Classroom. Inspirational and so fantastic to see technology being used in such a positive way.
  14. @6Foot2 - 6' 2" what a coincidence eh?!!!
  15. Willy. [This was a setup my lord!]
  16. I've only skim read the blog, but is the Enterprise version still an option - it might offer best value?
  17. I guess Google monetising the Education version of G Suite was inevitable, despite repeated claims of 'no change' for many years. I guess the "too good to be true times" are over, especially for the limitless storage. I suspect it still offers value for money, but for schools that feel they need more than the free version, it's going to be a hard pill to swallow. School budgets have been stretched for years, and Covid is and will continue to make life even more challenging. My governance school has had it's voluntary income slashed in the last year and it does have a direct impact of the quality of education. I would think the vast majority of schools would want the gmail, classroom and other audit logs, so that is now a cost. It will be very interesting to see a breakdown of which version they are running in a year or two. I'd also be interest to see how much revenue is generated to Google from the UK education sector.
  18. PewDie...
  19. Steak.
  20. Shielding list massively expanded https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56086965. Not a move I was expecting but it does mean a number of people will move up the vaccine list. I do not have the details how weight (and presumably BMI) is used in the calculation, but there must be a significant number of people in the 'clinically' obese category or lower down in the overweight category, where the NHS systems are just not aware, and indeed many individuals are not aware. I know from direct experience that using this calculator can be surprising and I've been continually active with sport throughout my life. Also, interesting to recall some NHS treatments are not offered to people until they reduce their weight, but for Covid, there is a very clear correlation between being overweight and mortality risk. Even a relatively small level of overweightness is a factor.
  21. That's probably enough to get your every move tracked thereafter!
  22. Fog (on the)
  23. I posted a while ago about the odd situation with vaccines in Canada. Today, the BBC have reported on the same and explained the background https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56035306. Interesting to note that some of the issues relate to anticipated actions of a now ex-global leader. No big 'P' comments on this though, you know the rules!
  24. Another stat. We are third per capita in terms of vaccine rate.
  25. I agree with @Steve21 it's Fortnite that's going to need the extra oomph. Unfortunately market prices and a bit bonkers right now. This is probably a crazy idea, but would a desktop in each location work - I appreciate there might be additional challenges with this! If second hand is an option, sometimes you can get a good local deal on ebay. e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-SFF-i5-2500-16GB-of-RAM-GT1030-GPU/393131795209?hash=item5b887b2309:g:VS8AAOSwYoxgKDFg might just about work. A desktop equivalent would be better to support a 1050 Ti, but they are expensive right now. Two monitors would be a pain, but in the local collect second hand market, it's surprising how little you need to spend. Just a curve ball for you to consider, but you still get so much less for your money when tied to a laptop and expandability just doesn't exist in a meaningful way.
×
×
  • Create New...