Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. Fire risk?
  2. I'd agree. I used to go with 128Gb, but recently, if you look at cost per Gb, 256Gb often worked out much better value for money, so for a small uplift, you significantly reduce the risk of a further upgrade and hassle in the future.
  3. Would you mind sharing the recommendations? Others reading the thread might find it useful.
  4. See http://www.edugeek.net/forums/cloud-services/210113-any-schools-using-google-voice-similar.html. @rogerdnixon, did you go ahead with a live system after the trial?
  5. Won't help here though - they are going to be all-through so will need secondary functionality.
  6. I mean this in all sincerity, but take this as an opportunity to look at other MIS, and the associated third party software linked to your systems. If SIMs remains the preferred option, fine, but don't stay with it just because that's what you have now. I worked at an primary that moved to all-through, we used Progresso. It worked for us but, the falling market share worries me. If I had to list a top three to look at, Arbor, Bromcom and RM Intergris. As an outside bet, SchoolPod.
  7. Oh yes, absolutely it is! The other look with the eyes is a very different experience - you'll know if that happens!
  8. Ditto from @Ditto - I didn't pick that up?
  9. It will be interesting to see how other quotes come through. Anytime I see a quote that has all numbers ending in double zeroes, I'm thinking that can come down a lot.
  10. It's tempting. I'm a bit unclear what it means about downloading and watching later and it only support Android and iOS. I have an amazon firestick, so I expect that's best, but could you explain what is possible. Where are the films stored and are they watchable after cancelling subscription?
  11. Samsung's latest phone comes with a stylus. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55649493 Once a device has a stylus, for me it's no longer a phone.
  12. Ditto

    Snow 2021!

    How did you help out? VeryPC socks on the tyres?
  13. I'm outraged! No one else is being allowed on golf courses!
  14. I suspect that's just part of it. Interferons are in fact not a single product, but a class of proteins called cytokines - you may have heard of a 'cytokine storm' where the body's immune system effectively destroys itself. Patients with severe systems receiving some interferons, to quote an article, can lead to 'catastrophic' results. For anyone interested who has had Covid-19 symptoms in the last 7 days might be able to sign up to the trial - https://www.covidtrialathome.com/ for this treatment.
  15. Besides, something like the common cold might be good in the (very) long term as an evolutionary step to keep the natural immune system 'fit'.
  16. The over promising can get tiresome, but there are three approved vaccines in the UK, with perhaps more approvals coming, so perhaps they need to be taken account of. It is noticeable that the constant message is the NHS can deliver the jabs if the pharma companies can deliver the vaccines. That's a comment on politics, not a political comment!!!
  17. ...and the review on the home page is from "James.S, 33 | IT Manager, NYC", so it must be true! If I ever mention getting an e-bike, my wife looks at me with a deep frown - I think she regards in the same way as me getting a mobility scooter!
  18. On a smart phone?
  19. On the topic of testing, many of us are familiar with the lateral flow test used in schools, as well as the more accurate but slower process PCR testing. There is a further test that was trialled at Southampton University, with general support, but also used (or at least proposed for use) at Heathrow and by Virgin Airlines. These are sometimes referred to as LAMP tests - it shares some of the PCR approach, but appears to be usable on a smaller scale. 30 minute turnarounds appear to be achievable and with high accuracy. Gov website has a couple of articles relating to these at: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/clinical-evaluation-confirms-accuracy-of-lamp-test https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rapid-evaluation-of-optigene-rt-lamp-assay-direct-and-rna-formats/rapid-evaluation-of-optigene-rt-lamp-assay-direct-and-rna-formats Clearly, due to the need for onsite equipment might mean it's only suited for larger establishments, but you'd think it makes sense for universities, colleges and maybe large secondaries. Overall however, I understand the per person test cost is relatively low and every case that doesn't end up in ICU saves thousands in cash terms and so much more in human terms. What I don't know is what the plans are going forwards, but LAMP testing would appear far superior to the current lateral flow tests.
  20. I'm pleased to hear that for you both. My FiL got his call and is in Sat too. Were you provided with a date for the second dose. I've heard local stories that this was given, at 12 weeks as expected, but on occasions a different venue which was much further away.
  21. That's an interesting article. I wish the journalists raised questions about this sort of expert commentary rather than coyly ask whether a bike ride 7 miles from home is permitted. To be honest, given non-answers are given and then they move on, we have to rely on more in depth interviews but I've seen few that constructively, yet critically hold them to account. These sorts of topics are deeply related to the battle against Coronavirus, so this isn't a political viewpoint, it's more a scientific one.
  22. I agree. Although the original government comment didn't seem to back this, it appears many of those (like GPs) stuck with the second vaccine after three weeks for Pfizer, not least because there was not time to reschedule, but I think some decided that the 3 week approach was preferred.
  23. I was pleased when I heard my Mum got the second vaccine based on the known data. I agree there is limited evidence and there is risk the decision could come back to bite, but I believe the risk has been assessed on a wider scientific basis than just the results for the study, so a bit more than a coin toss. They assumption is vaccinating more people to a lesser degree outweighs the benefits of vaccinating less people to a higher degree. Let's hope they are right! As I understand it, the picture for the Oxford vaccine is different in as much there is data to support a longer day, but I don't feel this is well documented by the media. I haven't dug in to this myself so if anyone else knows for certain, I'd be interested to be pointed to the details.
  24. My Mum, 80, had her second jab last Wednesday as originally planned. My Dad also in his 80's, but in a care home, got first jab shortly after Xmas. Both in West Sussex. Friends of my mum in the undertaking business in Devon were asked if they could send in 10 staff to the local GP as they had 10 unused doses. Someone we know, in Surrey, in their 40's but on the highly vulnerable list were contacted for a jab, but is awaiting medical advice as to whether it is safe to proceed. It seems to vary from area to area and a mixture of people from the first 4 target groups and some outside of those groups.
×
×
  • Create New...