Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

bobsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,225
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by bobsmith

  1. I was 99.9% sure that SOLUS UI can be put out to multiple machines, at my last school I ran it off my desktop and here one of our technicians runs it from his desktop while the NM has a remote desktop session to run it in.
  2. you could always add a code for not being examined.... teacher could submit that for any pupils not taking the exam.
  3. nope, and you would delete them if they didn't show anyway. CENSUS date for inclusion of students is mid January, so just don't do this trick during that week.
  4. Can you not put students on the system but with an actual start date in the future?
  5. their results will count for the cohort they should have been a member of based on age, i think you might need to enter them as "not at end of key stage 4" in the tables checking exercise in June. never had to provide any actual evidence.
  6. Both points raised are completely valid. Whoever is looking after the child should have Parental Responsibility ticked - however if you ever need to provide a salutation where there ISN'T someone with parental responsibility then you can manually type stuff into the box.
  7. Step 1. Create a group by adding students one at a time under Focus - Groups - User defined Groups Step 2. create a report with medical details. Step 3. run report using your user defined group as a filter. Your current method may be a lot faster....
  8. I've used both and like them both, but they are very different products in how they present data to you. 4matrix do a trial period, take them up on this! SISRA do a live web demo with their person talking you through it on the speakerphone. It's very much personal preference as to which you and your school prefer. If I had the budget I might even run both, I'm pretty sure some people do!
  9. there are some reports in SIMS that you can run to track down those pesky results making the aspect "live". I tweaked mine, but I based them off the ones under focus - aspects and focus - results.
  10. all the printers previously deployed by GP? gpupdate /force on the affected PCs?
  11. you can hold them in the pre-admissions area until the start of term (when they actually arrive). if you want to get them into their classes quickly you can play with the .slk files to export and import teaching group memberships very quickly.
  12. would this get better responses in the excel area rather than MIS?
  13. Renaming the aspect probably won't enable the old reports and mark sheets to work, as the aspects use the hidden id, the name is just an alias afaik. I strongly suspect you'll need to rebuild all of them.
  14. I've started the year early in Facilty CMIS before now, and we used third party software involving groupcall exporter. A quick phone call to them got it updated to the new academic year straight away....
  15. I don't get why you are deleting aspects at any point in this evolution? Make a new decimal aspect called Aspect_2 Copy all the existing results over from the integer Aspect_1 to the decimal Aspect_2 stop here!!!
  16. CMIS logged changes based on the user logged into the application, not the SQL user. There is a table called AUDITTRAIL which was fairly comprehensive but not perfect. We truncated a month at a time and added it to a new database running on the same server as part of a scripted job out of hours. We could therefore use the built in audit interface within the application to look at anything within the current month, or go to the new SQL database for the older records, all in separate tables by month. If you ever tried to use the audit facility with more than a few months data it would hang the application!
  17. The audit trail within the Facility application was buggy as hell, mostly because it had trouble parsing the 1000's of records generated. However as a test of our new found SQL skills, after the school sent us on the MS SQL courses, the NM and myself set up an audit trimming and backing up script which gave you a month at a time, this was found to enable us to track any significant change easily.
  18. Facility CMIS logs *almost* every change made by a user, whether within the main application or by the web portal. It does NOT audit views however. I'm not sure SQL would be able to record that easily? Or would it be able to because each record accessed would involve a SELECT statement being run?
  19. rename the ctf and replace CTF with KS2 and it should import fine. When I used 4Matrix I always imported KS2 - you can't get VA, Levels of Progress or even Progress 8 and other cool stuff without it. I think 4matrix uses fine levels (as does SISRA) - this is probably cos the DfE uses fine levels to produce attainment 8 estimates.
  20. I understood that Progresso was more than a front end, it's a whole new DB structure from what little I had seen. Also there was no application, it was entirely web based. I wouldn't advise anyone to migrate to CMIS at this point in it's lifecycle, although Advanced Learning had committed to maintaining it for as long as customers used it, that's not the same thing as developing it on an ongoing basis. ePORTAL was the CMIS equivalent of SIMS Learning Gateway - but was free and was the main interface for teaching staff unlike the locally installed SIMS.net
  21. depending on how your connect.ini is set up you could just rename it temporarily. But this won't log out users with an open session in SIMS, nor will it stop people accessing the DB vis SLG or any other webaccess interface you're running.
  22. when she was in FE she probably didn't call them pupils, teach year groups or have Key Stages Funding in secondary is generated in arrears and is on a per capita basis, the data is taken FROM the census. The Finance person needs just a list of students on roll broken down by year group to work out KS4 and KS3 funding. KS5 funding is far more fun and last time I had a play with it I got some way to having a reasonable approximation, but the documentation for the convoluted formulae ran to 190 pages!
  23. Is this a standard report? Can you let us know which one? We run chrome here and reports open fine straight into chrome, it really smells like a configuration setting in chrome being overzealous on your system.
  24. Our timetablers put the new timetable on the system without the rest of us having to log out. Is there a particular need for the users to be barred from logging in? If we do need everyone off the server we send an all staff email asking them to log out by such and such a time. This is reserved for patches and upgrades, not for routine SIMs tasks.
×
×
  • Create New...