Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Cheers for that, that was on my mind about creating some thing that was very limited and only allowed them to do what they need. We also can punish them in other ways so we will totally discourage them from abusing it. It will still happen, kids are kids, would frog develope some thing down the line which allows a simple profanity scan and we can see the results?
  2. We have just purchased frog and almost at the design meeting part. Have yet to get on to the community part and if votes are required to get a "Filter/Check" etc then you will surely have my vote. Problem was always going to be there if you have students (like ours) then this was always going to be a problem, at the moment we are only sending this to staff @ september. As for students we are going to make it perfectly clear that once they abuse it, they lose it. I am guessing there is a way to limit what they see and do so they can JUST have the "My HomeWork" and no longer able to post/make friends etc etc?
  3. Strangely enough we used to be an RM network here, moved away when we wanted more control. Just before my time that was, also I know two other schools who have left RM to become a Vanilla Network so perhaps people have lost faith?
  4. I have a 2008 DC and no issues there, as for 2008 R2 DC.. not done that one yet. Would be interesting to know why it is occuring, I have nothing to test our R2 version because we got the x64 version, only one of our boxes has that and that is a virtual box. If it is happening on every PC, perhaps start the profile creation process again? It is what I would do. Make sure the shared path is working okay as well.
  5. So glad I live on Edugeek, I had yet to even think about RSAT. Have begun putting Sp1 on the windows 7 laptops, have had to disable two optional updates due to it causing IE to freeze up. As for RSAT, I actually needed to redo this but because we are planning a fresh PDC with 2008 R2 we might put it on hold.
  6. Had this on 4 member of staffs laptops today, told them just to close it - Mcafee picked and removed two files on one laptop. No hassle there, another two staff members used Google images to search and got one got infected. Removed her profile to fix the issue and the other one just got the website. I must say... this is getting a bit insane really. I am currently making sure all V Scans are updated etc (which thank god they are) also installing windows Essentials which seems to work with zero trouble along side mcafee...
  7. Sounds like an idea, wonder what the address is. HMS Ark Royal Big Deadly Carrier 32 Dover Port Dover England CT1 YCMI (CT1 Dover code + You Cant Miss It) Please no pets.
  8. Why their phone lines are so hard to get through?
  9. Well surely it is stored on their Pen Drives, they are the 100% owners of that piece of equipment. It would be the same if some one brought a copied CD round your house and played it on your CD Player. It is not your CD so surely nothing wrong with it? Think it is one of those things that is on the line.
  10. Another popular frog post We have just paid for it and awaiting the ISA software to turn up to do the final prep before the Design of frog starts. Just wondering what other schools have created so far in Frog? We have a few staff asking about online Detention forms, behavior records (similar to our databases). The beviour record is also used to report CET calls (SMT) which then sends an email to the relevant Key Stage Team. We IT peeps are after creating our Help Centre on there as well, this is currently on sharepoint 3.0 - free Having looked around so far it does all seem possible but just wondering what other places have created so far. If so do you offer them free or cost? Our Frog is going to be heavily used and we do plan on so much being put on there, we understand there may be limitations. I my self have a huge list of stuff I want to go on there and all my spare* time I will be developing Frog. I do have a ton of other things to do though.
  11. If closing roads down for 6 days is the result, I am VERY sure people would be happy to change their routes for 6 days instead of endless traffic for 6 months....
  12. I saw that on the sun, showed me boss a while ago today.. it does put us to shame. That was done in 6!!!! days!!!!! Would have taken our lads here 6 months!!!!!! And the bad part on that is, there is no sarcasm on that 6 months.... It really does go to show how to do things, stop having tea breaks every 5 minutes and packing to go early at 4 and starting at 10...
  13. I am currently looking at it now, it actually seems free so far? Nice idea though I must say.
  14. mthomas08

    Budget

    My feeling exactly... 1p does sound rather pathetic. Only people who HAVE to drive everyday will be driving everyday I guess having your own personal driver every day taking you 1 mile to work really doesnt effect you so much.. (aimed at the gov).
  15. Pretty much. Although we get away with it here and left the policies alone, just put windows 7 and all was well. There will be a few niggle things to tweak - I actually need to go back and recheck the win7 policies (I did them and killed the start menu)...
  16. Yeah everyone or mostly everyone is on facebook.. even my mother who is very bad with anything technical and IT is now on there.... My great aunt june is on there and shes getting ancient now Problem is though so are most of our students...
  17. SO LUCKY! It is some where I want to go, have a few friends who went and their pictures are brilliant.
  18. mthomas08

    Budget

    I occasionally looked on the suns website to see the little bar telling me whats going on. As a coming first time buyer it is good, the fuel tax change feels a bit pathetic to me but lets see.
  19. Totally not worth the money, if thats how much they want to charge, do not do business with them. Usually companies are happy to do it free of charge, its good business. We have had a lot of people come on site to evaluate us for all sorts of things - Printing, Wireless, Energy saving and did they even charge for coming on site. Nope. If a company charge I expect a very little charge.
  20. Hope im not the only one in saying this but it does not bother me at all. Usually we get extra quotes from people we do not like or people who insist on ringing us up often as "salesman". They usually ask why, that's where I enjoy saying "Got a better deal".
  21. To be honest, come up with some ideas that do not cost anything. Perhaps a tweet/facebook group where you can offer basic IT Support? free? then perhaps charge on the bigger cases? As a supplier I do not think it will go well, you will obviously need to keep your current job. I have always thought about doing an IT support based company or something, I know the prices out there are frankly extortion.
  22. Just another job title for dogs body? Steve our head boss of us 3 goes to all the meetings with the Govs, he organises the budgets, his title is IS Manager. He still like me does a ton of dogs body jobs and run arounds, I am the NM and we have a technician who is a part of the afternoon shift "Lazy". My job title started out as technician, network officer, some thing else then NM. Personally it is just a title, but good for the CV. I am only 27 and already I feel like I am 1 step away from that sort of a position, Steve and both the head have told me that if Steve retires they both have faith in me taking over. So yeah I would agree with others Director is more involved in the Govs, they change from School Governors to Directors I believe (when we become an academy). So IT Director to me deals with the HIGH up people instead of dealing with the LOW end people so much? Where as IT Manager spends the days kicking technician heads in
  23. We agree here. We are looking at a printing solution to limit: How many pages How many copies Default Duplex No personal Printers Cut down Dept Printers All down to their own account number There will be some who cause a storm over it all, we already have three names on our list, these are staff who always refuse to follow any rules, recommendations or even play ball. Funnily enough these are also staff who do not save to H Drive. In todays world it is just simply Lazy to keep printing, we have a reprographics Dept here and everything on high copies/pages should go through her but some staff will not like it.
  24. mthomas08

    Ahoy!

    We were in the last phase to be started when the Gov cancelled I mean blessed us with pulling the plug on BSF. Our head is trying to cram some money back for it. We are becoming an academy soon and Frog was installed this week. Not forgetting we want a new PDC, new Email server and just installed a virtual box. So busy busy busy for us this year.
×
×
  • Create New...