Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. You answered your own question We dont have the back bone for allowing that many users to access software server side (has been some thing I want to do), we have been cheating and brought a load of netops in the last 12 months. I think we brought about 350 of those in total in that time, allows them to run IE easy but also allows them to access a range of software that isnt too powerful. Netops only cost us about 200 a piece maybe less then that with us buying in bulk. They wouldnt of run Vista at all but have managed windows 7/XP so far (Office 2003-2010) macromedia software and a few others. If its just for the internet, is there a way of locking them down? I am thinking of a student point of view of limitations.
  2. Seems a bit too limited really, 3 months down the line you will probably want to do more.
  3. Surely if they dont understand they should do their homework? Although I also think the Gov should of sent out more info
  4. Hmmmm Strangely enough I wouldnt quit my work, just demand more time off to travel. I would actually donate a few mil to the IT Dept I actually enjoy my job at times. Would keep it all on the hush hush though. Go on a massive shopping spree in Bluewater in those expensive shops where a shirt (Crap one) costs £135.. Go on a holiday every chance I get and make my own paintball arena. I would also make sure my good side family members got dosh and my younger sister who has already lived off my taxes for the last 8 years gets nothing.
  5. Course it will be fine! What you complaining about? they wont have to release security updates for it monthly because no one will try and hack it, wont have to reboot it every day....
  6. I feel the same at times, there are advantages and disadvantages with it all. The place I work at just simply wouldnt work with outsourcing its IT Support, it is very reliant on getting it done "Now" or very "Quickly". As for cloud, I was looking at SQL provided by MS and although I am not sure if this includes schools or accurate but if I remember correctly you do pay for it monthly. And that cost is created from how much space you use and how much data is transmitted a month. For us here at the moment that just would not work, every year our intake of students increases and we still take on every student we can during term times. Even though we are always full we always squeeze in extra kids and if we was having to pay for "each user" that also wouldnt work for us. It is also the main reason why we purchased from, we pay for the system not bandwidth, user amount or web space we use. Which for us is exactly what we want. BSF being a prime example, we would have to pay per user which is an immense price, our budget was 170K last year and that still wouldnt of covered the cost of BSF for our school. You can also imagine how we would have struggled this year with the budget cuts. If the likes of cloud computing is the future then when the costs are down we will look at it but it is still relatively young.
  7. We pretty much have complete control over our IT (That goes for us in IT Support too - we are more in control). We should be an Academy come Christmas, our future planning is: More FROG Usage (this is currently being implemented) Upgrading our servers to Server 2008 R2 X64 Virtualising more Look towards possible thin clients for quicker User access. I can see schools given more budgets (even though at the moment they are getting budget cuts). Sooner or later they will realise the money is seriously needed in schools and Especially in IT because it is the students who suffer with down IT Equipment. I can see the schools being given the money and not being forced in to the "BSF" way which was badly done from day 1. It could be possible that schools have to follow guidelines or recommended guidelines. We are remember here for the students, to give them the best possible equipment and not suffer for it while providing up-to-date software of the real world and not just something they will never/rarely see.
  8. Me, not afraid to say it, but then I dont complain about the result even if it was a Yes and criticise those who said No.
  9. Then choose one, if you got a route to take left or right you cant just stop the car and have a hissy fit. If they are both bad then suggest you pick one, stick names in a hat for all I care. If you dont like the choices then I suggest you start fighting for other choices and if they dont get voted in like AV then its tough the people have spoken.
  10. Then again thats your job to get all the facts before you vote. If you dont know what your voting for then dont complain.
  11. Surely if you dont vote against a new building being built ruining your window view you have pretty much no right to complain when its built?
  12. Must say, I do agree with this part. I didnt vote and I wouldnt of complained either way, I would have voted NO. I didnt vote on the last election either, I would have voted for Cameron anyway.. I didnt vote then because I wasnt happy with any of the choices and was frankly too lazy to care. I wont complain about it tomorrow and wont complain about it next month. Then again thats my opinion. If people do not vote because they simply dont understand their choices then surely thats their job to do their research and find out what its about, surely you dont sign off for car insurance without reading it? then complain when you wreck the car and expect a temp car free of charge? Common sense to me really..
  13. Sounds like me, to be honest though if I did vote it would have been no because I am not too in to the idea of the new system BUT some times I like to take a risk with new ideas. Thats how I feel though, it feels like I am doing it to take the RISK of it, so for me would have been no.
  14. I will admit here right here and now.. I actually couldnt decide what to vote for. I see the gains of voting yes but I also some times believe that change is not always a good thing. My view though, so in the end I didnt vote at all.
  15. Many have beards? I prefer to shave got youth looks to keep up.
  16. Strange I have never seen so many people happy with them, I know 4 other people and all suffered the same issues I have..... Well glad someone is happy
  17. We had something similar here, about 5 people went through it. It was for the Head of IS post which I my self went for (IT Tech at the time). The guy that aced it was young and fresh out of Uni - he didnt get the job, the guy that did alright, had Experience and what we was looking for. So it is never the end of the story if you dont pass it 100%. On the day I asked to see all the CVs and the guy I liked the most was the guy with the best CV, I even told the current boss at the time that he should get the job. So in the end it is never the end of the world, most people might have gone for the fresh out of Uni lad and I think even he believed he would get it. And even to today, everyone is still very happy that we made the choice, best thing that occured here since I started
  18. We are 95% MS here, we have Macs for Music and small Linux servers (doing Basic stuff at the moment). Luckily we do have ICT Staff and some KS staff who are clued up and do a lot of the training, the Head of IS here deals with first day training every september and we have some one else who does the SIMs training. All I can say is, it is useful having other staff deal with the training.
  19. We recently purchased frog with Secure Gateway for external access, my guess is they have setup their system with the KCC VPN? We had several staff here at times who were from KCC and had laptops setup to VPN on to their system, so they must have some thing similar to what we admins can use and Secure gateway? We are aiming to have this online in september but does mean PCs have to be left turned on, we have a minor glitch at the moment where more then 1 person can not use remote desktop on to a PC and the logon bar is half missing.
  20. Isnt this all "Securing it down" because of hackers in the first place??? I totally agree with them encrypting it all as much as possible and this latest incident is just fuel for the fire. I can see Sony going down a MS route and just releasing security patches every month to secure it. So to me its more like, Well done to the so called big boys who like to sit at home and "hack" all day.....
  21. Was never a fan to be honest, Playstation and the N64 did it for me. Strange though they have things in stock, perhaps old stock? I can't believe it is all still being made.
  22. But I am sad, I am enjoying FF3 on the Iphone @webman - that is a disturbing thought if your stuff are stolen, some one will know where you live as a result of the IPhone data, as for the others I am never fussed about .
  23. One of the things I have noticed here is students being rewarded for effort over those students who actually produce the work. One student who is a very badly behaved kid can suddenly produce a single piece of average work gets rewarded.. where a student who always produces excellent work gets nothing just a pat on the back.
  24. We have it here Great use, staff can view it as well, not perfect but then we do have the free version. We are looking at a full version of a print management (With cards and the works).
×
×
  • Create New...