Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Negative doesnt bother me Although I glad MS became the IT world, if MACs were the main world of IT I think we would be more stressed at IT instead of being fedup with the users. I will enjoy Steve's contribution to the world Pixar and iPhones.
  2. I was thinking that! Others have mentioned network points, I would add more desk space for PC's laptops, desk for the kettle and mini fridge (no joke). Not impressed with that little window though!!! We currently have thought about a screen for jobs/server monitors, grab a little aircon unit for the summer? we also have two whiteboards and 2 pin up boards for information/notes etc. We have some shelves for some basic stuff. Not sure if any of the above helps but thats what we pretty much got.
  3. Then again if you compare what a Mac does and what a PC can do, there is also no comparison, Jet Engine I would agree, but for a single seater craft with healthy drinking water + fruit juice where the propeller is a 747 with its own bar and bouncer I guess the definition of visionary would include most of us just on a much smaller scale. Hey - I am happy with that. As for talking about Jobs did much more the the "i" most people who say he is "Jesus" are Mac/iPhone fans, not the ones who were even aware of his roll on Pixar etc. In fact most of them didnt even know (know a few of those personally) till they were reading articles released on Steve's passing.
  4. It felt like I was watching football,they seem to care more about their off pitch lives then their on pitch performances.
  5. So you are all visionary's
  6. I want to watch more football, movie channels, ( I have had enough of Virgin Media) and Formula1 is going there next season as well. Although its a lot of money I will probably go Broadband/telephone as well. I dont want to but......
  7. I would totally agree with you there, just saw some one else quote on BBC about Steve Jobs "knowing what made sense in a product". that is understandable, many people are being annoyed at the fact that he is being made in to a religious icon. Let's face it - Apple will continue and do what it has always done the people behind it now probably think along the same lengths as Steve Jobs. @witch, your right, a man who really knew his stuff, could spot good ideas has died far too young.
  8. After reading that it looks like all he did was inject cash in to an idea that already existed. Again not really his vision but throwing money in to something that was a good idea. If its classed as Visionary to throw money to someone elses idea I will accept that. I feel the right term is he is brilliant at spotting talent - perhaps the IT world of Simon Cowell? I guess he too is visionary.
  9. Kind of thinking the same, I wouldnt make him sound like Jesus either. He said the right things and lead our country during war which is by far more important than leading a company in creating fancy gadgets from ideas that already exist. Lets face it most people form companies for cash, if it wasnt a money driven world would Apple still exist? Visionary is a word used too often, even Churchill had a vision - to win the war - does that make him a visionary?...
  10. Not really what I would call him.. Perhaps an Idealist? it was his ideas that helped Apple (but then again do we know exactly what was his ideas and no one elses?) Problem is there are many people who are going over board with top words, I saw one comment on another forum that described him as the 2nd Jesus - I could be here all day on the words that made him sound like History couldnt survive without him and thats where the frustration probably lies. I use the Ipod for my car and have the Iphone4 and love them, but I wouldnt say the creator of Apple changed my life by making it easier to have music and a phone all in one. Influenced technology? I would say yes to that, but how much I dont think we will ever know.
  11. I enjoyed F1 on HD, but soon as both have gone down the pan... As much as I dont like the idea of giving my money to BSKYB looks like I might have to go down that route, maybe BBC shouldnt of waste so much money on programs that no one watches..
  12. I did read a nice discussion on another forum, many things pointed out that the designs that Apple actually came up with MP3 players (ITunes) already existed but Apple created something accessible. They took something that already existed and made it brilliant. I am no Apple fan but my IPhone (last I checked portable phones have existed well before IPhone) and the same for ITunes - just IPOD/IPHONE mixed it all together and made it work and work well. Again they took something that existed and made it work, MP3 players were already being made but Apple released their kit at a time when everyone was getting involved in gadgets. So to me the choices would already exist, maybe not as cheap or accessible (or as good?) but they still would. On the other hand you really do not know how much things would be different without the existance of Steve Jobs. A lot of ideas for the past 100 years have usually existed and some one had just come along and made something better/different. And you also have to remember that Apple is not just Steve Jobs it's 1000's of employees contributing to the company.
  13. My opinion you should always watch what you say when it comes to people's deaths and in today's world it's called "political". As I mentioned in my post, sad to see a guy go so young and I wouldnt of been so blunt as other posters. You are asking for trouble when you are blunt be it good or bad things to say. When I go to funerals I never say anything bad and always watch what nice things I say and talk about my personal experiences with the person just incase there is someone there who would disagree.
  14. Although I wouldnt put it so *blunt. Sad that a man has died so young and really must make people think that life is really too short and you can't simply waste it away. He thought up some good ideas, worked with other fine people, although I will agree he created something but like anything else in todays world it takes a person to come up with an idea but a lot of people working together to really pull it off. Like Bill Gates he created something big and a money maker, but its all the people they work with that really create it.
  15. Honestly its a great starter place, you will be expected (in my experience and what I have talked to other people about) to know it all. In the eyes of a staff member everything is complicated but it takes us 5 seconds to resolve by pressing a button. There are a lot of posts on edugeek about people not really happy in education, people getting in to Unions just for precautions. And frankly you have to watch your back and make sure you go above the call of your job otherwise they could nit pick at you. Luckily I have a good job, with good people and our Head adores us and protects us from staff who complain. If I had the chance I would stick to the private sector but I am hoping to stick around for a year or two more at least before my next choice occurs. Might be a good idea for you to do some browsing in the general/red door posts because there are a lot of complaints about staff in education and working conditions.
  16. Over priced chicken in my book, chicken is chicken to me, their spice is the only thing you need a ton of. Insane to ban ketchup.
  17. You seem a happy chap, that will change when you work in education
  18. I had natural drive which appeared when I was in my final year of school @15, when it was time to leave I knew it was my life and my decisions that would result on where I was going. I went straight in to further education as a business administrator - I had no idea what I wanted to do but that course would present many things and give me basic skills like confidence/experience and dealing with new people etc. After I passed that I went to a IT Course for 2 years then full time employment, even when I was year 13 I had a part time job doing manual labour work from 5-midnight. The NVQ courses I was doing were 9-4:30 mon-fri, so doing a hard working week didnt bother me. At the age of 14 I was still a kid and didnt consider anything to do with my future and I personally think that this day and age our kids are broken because they are not allowed to be kids. They are pushed to grow up far too fast, our kids here are nothing like my year at their age, at 14 I was a kid and didnt at all have a taste of choices till my GCSE course choices and even then I had no clue. As for my success, I just started to work hard and refused to be a benefit person who takes hand outs all my life. IT wasnt my main choice but it was the easiest choice at the time. I would rather work all day then sit at home watching TV claiming money living in a council house - I want the nice car, nice house, kids who get what they deserve, wear nice clothes.
  19. I am not insulting MAC, had an ex who had one she said she got it just for the net, msn and her photoshop (she was a photographer). It is great for that job and lets face it - more reliable then windows and requires less maintenance/work to get going. Not a fan though
  20. Bit too early for a review? Although I am always open to FF vs IE, I stick to IE for its basic compatibility and the "If its not broke dont fix it". At home I use FF much more but if FF was the default browser on a Windows installation for the next 5 years would we get more security updates I do hate the updates and no doubt there but then again any product widely used gets targetted. Remember flash 5 years ago - i remember hardly ever seeing the word security, now within the last year or so I see a lot of updates and security flaws popping up. So to me I wouldnt mind ever using it at home but for work I would always choose IE. I will add though FF7 feels much better and I dont think its crashed once for me yet.
  21. Strange, so many spend a lot of money on a MAC and say its the best thing since sliced bread.... then put bootcamp on it with windows 7.
  22. +1 this. What employers would hire a 14 year old? there isnt many paper rounds these days and I dont see Mcdonalds employing at 14.
  23. To be honest, is there anything that hasnt been hacked? If its's popular it's going to get ripped in to, some do it just for kicks or another challenge.
  24. Not much help but you can add a column of modified in to AD which might help you narrow down the time it was last modified? Never seen this one happen before though.
  25. Pretty much agree there, I totally don't blame Microsoft for doing this because other manufacturers are doing it. Surely if you want another OS why not buy their product? I can slightly understand why people had a hissy fit over the PS3 terms change but frankly sony should of said from day 1 "You can not install other OS's on the PS3". Why would anyone install anything else anyway? Oh wait..... cough...
×
×
  • Create New...