-
Posts
3,240 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mthomas08
-
Our access permissions are setup as Read Only for staff but it is only upon request. We have students who for some reason do not hand in work etc and staff need to access their H drives. ICT staff pretty much use it mainly (again read only access).
-
Looks like they don't know.
-
Well so far testing seems to indicate that was the problem, although still getting those incorrect settings on my PC... maybe there is some old settings some where. Today will be the real test because I cleared 5 computer areas of profiles before heading home, found a typical 2 computers not working, 2 network cables missing and a bad state suites as always...
- 14 replies
-
Yeah it is disabled, did that today (due to it being one of those fixes). Unless there is cache some where that needs clearing? What I will do is clear out the profiles in the two rooms I know that are having huge issues (they are XP) and see if that resolves it. Can't run it on mine because there is only my profile, but could try anyway. I do appreciate the help
- 14 replies
-
Domain function level 2008 R2 (same with Forest level) if thats what you meant.
- 14 replies
-
It is a domain we have upgraded, not what I wanted to do but got told otherwise. This originally was 2000 Mixed if I remember and has gone through about 5 upgrades to 2008 R2. Currently have two both 2008 R2.
- 14 replies
-
Just checked the more info. It is checking my PC and in the correct OU, it also tells me it gets the correct GP from the correct server. Now for more bad info: telling me Domain type "Windows 2000" - this is not correct it is 2008 R2. I will keep looking to see what I can find but something very strange.
- 14 replies
-
The gpresult was run from a machine never logged on as the student (my one in fact) because I am still on XP. All i did was: gpresult /user student /z >policy.txt which gave me the info of wrong server I have been trying the clear profiles which seems to do more random things, where it works then doesnt work but I will try some more.
- 14 replies
-
Well did some GPResult testing and some how (I do not know how) it has kept the old server settings which has now been pulled out. All the GPO settings I can see are point to the new (correct) server but according to this GPResult my test account is indeed pointing to the old server?! That does not make sense to me...
- 14 replies
-
Tried that, I thought it could be that but no speed issues at all. In fact some users work fine others do not (again a little random). Did find some errors popping up on the machine event log though. All about the GPO settings.... Windows has detected that Offline Caching is enabled on the Roaming Profile share - to avoid potential profile corruption, Offline Caching must be disabled on shares where roaming user profiles are stored. (this is already disabled) Unable to apply folder redirection policy, initialization failed. The Group Policy client-side extension Folder Redirection failed to execute. Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension. The client-side extension caught the unhandled exception '0xC0000005' inside: 'threadEntry : client main' See trace file for more details. The Group Policy client-side extension Group Policy Internet Settings failed to execute. Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension. The client-side extension caught the unhandled exception '0xC0000005' inside: 'threadEntry : client main' See trace file for more details. The Group Policy client-side extension Group Policy Power Options failed to execute. Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension. The COM+ Event System failed to fire the PostShell method on subscription {71F45B4D-A41E-4087-B110-F44E67AE6416}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The subscriber returned HRESULT 80004001. Strange thing is this was all working at some point after about 30 minutes of testing it started to do this... I will do more googling..
- 14 replies
-
Hi all, don't you love roaming profiles? Right well we have a 2008 R2 system using Roaming profiles. Each student is setup to \\servername\logons$\%username% and the same is for the GPO setting in Computers\User Profiles to point to the same path. Some google sites have suggested that it should be \\servername\logons$\%username%\ (with that extra back slash at the end). I am correct in asuming that Roaming profiles take their settings from GPO and no - pre build profile is required? like the mandatory. This seems to work well BUT XP clients are having issues, where there is no desktop/start menu/ no GPO settings are copied down. You can imagine I am pulling my hair out, I have gone through all the settings and cleared out the XP profiles just incase they are causing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? we switched from mandatory to roaming because we had the opposite problem where XP clients worked fine but Windows 7 was randomly not working and students were required to log off and back on possibly up to 3-4 times before it worked. Any help would be great edit: When it goes very slow for XP clients that is when it struggles to properly login. Have done even more testing and one minute it works fine, next problems occur. The slow ones seem to sit there for about 5+ minutes where the ones that work are pretty instant.
- 14 replies
-
Not at all, Halloween isn't for everyone and I would always prefer a sign saying No trick or treaters. Some kids/parents make the effort while others just stick a bin bag over their heads and make no effort and just do it for the treats. Not many people in my area make the effort but then again the local people are not the nicest types.
-
Not sure what you mean about that? We have also purchased Vivo which can actually integrate with Frog, although I think Frogs biggest issue is the fact they are a rather small company compared to a lot of others. They do not have an endless amount of programmers, you can how ever suggest new ideas etc. Not that I am saying their VLE is the best thing since sliced bread but it certainly has a lot of advantages over others especially our current VLE which has only a single person who can do anything on it.
-
We did choose frog here, one thing you should do is ask your self exactly what you want from your VLE. We currently have one and only two people can do anything with it and only one of them can design/build sites and this was what we wanted to change. What we wanted with a VLE: Community Based - so others can get involved in design/building etc Remote access to software/PCs Compatible with software/VLE Packages. Not under control by one man - in the event he/she left. It was a lot of money, Frog is by far from perfect but considering that the other solutions would have required an employed VLE designer we would of been no better off then what we currently have. We do have SIMs here and the data transfer is not at all an issue for us, it requires a bit of work on all the user accounts when imported but this is no hard task. We do have frog champions and we are going to pass on the training and you can easily limit access to what is built. We currently have our VLE built and ready, our main website is having final touches made and we are aiming for a early 2012 release - remember the more you expect from your VLE the bigger it will be and the more time it will take. The basic stuff available is frankly brilliant, after the initial setup we was able to access the VLE with Lesson planning, homework assigning, time tables and parent portals. The extra stuff is where the time goes eg Dept Websites, Content, Forums and the big one training.
-
10 Years.. time goes by quickly. We still resort to XP in some areas in fact 1 room has had to be reverted back to XP because of a few issues, we do aim to replace this room next year though. All new Equipment has been Windows 7 for the last 18 months or so.
-
I still think the Desktop will still be around for a long long long time. We here prefer to buy Desktops then laptops at work, I always prefer to buy a desktop at home then spend more on a laptop. I dont think there is a decrease of desktops but more along the line of more people just buying laptops. If you think 6 years ago what the average of desktop per house hold was I doubt it has declined at all, only thing is more people are buying gizmo's gadgets and little cheap laptops to ski the internet. I would always prefer a gaming PC above a laptop. The laptops/gadgets per house hold has probably gone through the roof but then again most house holds probably didnt have endless amount of PCs every where to begin with. Just my opinion. When the same spec laptops are a lot lower in cost and less easier to damage then PCs then we shall see
-
I started off doing NVQ IT Level 3 (after doing NVQ Admin Level 2). These gave me real working experiences, I was actually a part of an IT System supporting Users/Fixing problems, this gave me experience which in turn turned in to a job as a Technician. The course work on the NVQs were very easy and the down side is the fact it is treated like a job - 9-4:30 mon-fri. Be warned though treatment of IT people isnt the best in education
-
ICT Budgets - me/ jumps up and down and does a little dance!!
mthomas08 replied to Pyroman's topic in General Chat
If PC's are in need of upgrading badly, let them fall over, let the problems occur, just do your best to keep it going and when they can't handle any more then tough - you have no budget for it. -
Storage Server 2008 R2 / Clustering
mthomas08 replied to mthomas08's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Is this what your talking about? HOW TO: Use DFS on a Server Cluster to Maintain a Single Namespace The DFS section at the bottom? -
I all hoping some one can help on this one. We recently purchased 2x Dell NX3000 Enterprise so it can be clustered. Has anyone got experience in Storage Server 2008 R2 when it comes to clustering? I have done a lot of googling for about 3 days and yet to find any good instructions on how to setup what we have. They are both setup as Raid5 with two partitions one for System and the other which will be for the data. What we are after is setting these servers up as a cluster using the partition D:\ (which is about 1TB) for the shared data - File Server to replace our current Home Drives. Two problems I am having: First is no disks detected even though the first check actually picks up all the disks but the others appear with warnings, no cluster hard disks detected. Second the network setttings are requesting certain things to be setup, single point of failure warnings. Which according to my research it needs a VLAN between the two servers for a dedicated link and two seperate network ports setup for network activity. I am hoping some one can help, perhaps a Cluster Guru about ? all the googling including the technet has not helped me what so ever. In fact everything I have tried - including creating a VHD/iSCSI target still does not show up in a Cluster HD setup screen.
-
I know several of our staff that are using iTunes to play music for dance classes, what is strange is Microsoft got shot for doing all this Business/Home editions where as others are just simply saying HOME ONLY. Strange how the wheel turns. Can you pay extra for "Work" or is it Home only - tough if you dont like it?
-
Was thinking that. I just did the test got 3/4 (IE8) then I looked around on that site had a compatibility issue it refreshed it self had the compatible pop up appear (at the top) now I get 1/4...
-
ICT Budgets - me/ jumps up and down and does a little dance!!
mthomas08 replied to Pyroman's topic in General Chat
Ouch, we just spent 16K putting us 4K over budget. Not forgetting purchased about 60+PCs, 40+Laptops, Frog (plus all trimmings), Going to be an Academy soon as well. Add our new Wireless for a few blocks too, cost us about 15K. Money Money Money! We also purchased 3 new servers in the last 8 months, joined the MS scheme of 10K a year for all software/licenses. Jesus ! We spent that much!!!....... OUCH! -
Yeah bit of jumping the gun. At least Sony got on to the case quickly.
-
Are they commenting on their own page? putting it as their status? Nothing you can do - all entitled to have opinions?
