Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Yeah, I did read about this and sometimes it doesnt work well to snapshot a DC only ever rely on the proper backup. I have just added virtual DC and it is the only virtual one. We currently have 3, when things settle I will remove GC from the email server (we are limited) and come next year I plan on having another DC so I can remove GC from our current DNS/DHCP (its the head of the forrest) and according to microsoft it shouldnt be a GC..... As for the DC issue - do you not have a full backup?
  2. We have not had these kind of issues for a long time, it used to be where it wasnt install for the actual profile - I would pre-setup the mandatory file by going to a flash site and installing flash if need be. Not had to worry about this for a long time though, some times though I have noticed that although it says "Flash" have you tried to install ShockWave as well seeing if that fixes the issue? I remember a while ago having all sorts of issues with flash - exactly the sorts of issues you two are having.
  3. Some useful stuff there, in the end teaching the kids is about preparing them for the "possibilities" I had nothing to do with History so far yet I did it in my Year 10/11 same for WoodWorking (I didnt even do IT). I wish I had the chance to cover as much as possible, you never really know what your going to do when you grow up. The History/Woodworking though taught me basic skills and some common knowledge, even with French I thought it was an utter waste of time and technically would be now for me but I really wish I paid more attention learning another language. At least the woodworking taught me you can not simply build something without considering the foundation first and planning.
  4. Interesting and correct article, some good posts too. It's a matter of factors, ICT is becoming much more complex - its no longer about how to just insert table, use formula etc. It is about much more detailed creations with office and thats just for starters. I believe we was one of the adequate schools and trust me when I say we are fixing that. Game Making software, Movie Maker, Lego maker, Audacity and with Frog coming we are hoping it does some major changes to learning in ICT. We do believe we should be an ICT Specialist school with our system size/usage and the head of ICT is working on that. She also knows the ICT Staff need to be on board, we do still get some silly requests but I do think some change is occuring staff wise *hush hush*. After Frog is completely up and running our next step is Secure GateWay to enable students to remote in and access our software/computers from Home - again another thing to help. Although I will agree the first step is making sure the ICT Staff are more up-to-date with knowledge when it comes to teaching but I in my opinion that is only the first step to fixing the problem.
  5. Totally, been waiting ages for this and honestly can't wait. As long as we don't get none of that "comedy gone too far" complaints
  6. I dont blame you for shutting down their email access, we have had our fair share. Things seem to be improving on the abuse email, although now mice and keyboards are taking the beating and dont forget the network cables being unplugged. As for the OP: We use Exchange 2010 here and able to Sync up to blackberry/iPhones with no additional software.
  7. The googling I have done, apparently the GPO setting removes inactive profiles but virus scanners can change that inactive to active. I am having the exact same issue, as a result we have to manually remove them but because we have been imaging our PCs with FOG we are going to look in to setting this up to clean profiles often. Not tested a logoff script though, Windows 7 will do it quickly - if Access level permits? Windows XP though could take a while, luckily enough here Windows 7 can remove profiles within a few minutes. If any one has added the Del Prof as a log off script and it works - even as a student and no additional settings required? do say. I might implement it
  8. Dont forget, god dropped the "Mug" in it as well when he made us.
  9. I had a number of things go wrong here while doing our server upgrades. Both GPO and Account setting for the profile must match. Went through all GPO settings (yes all) for students to make sure everything was good. Local profiles cleaned Profile folder permissions setup correctly - technet has a list of the correct settings. Windows 7 apparently has issues with Mandatory profiles we encountered this when changing our Forest/Domain to 2008 R2. My google advice told me Roaming profiles is the way to go so students have their own located on the server. Strangely enough I have had a lot of issues, when its working I can log all ICT rooms 150 PCs all on within about 5 seconds. I am going to do a mass clear out in February because I still believe there are issues and the only solution I have left is because there are still old profiles on some PCs. Only way to do a proper clean is delete all profiles - from the server/desktops for a complete fresh go. I hope any of this helps.
  10. I use this to connect to my PC then i use Remote Desktop to get on to the server. As much as I like logmein (and use it for our external site server) I never like to install anything additional on to our servers unless I really need to. *edit You now reminded me I can do some updates on our servers
  11. Insurance companies screaming ?
  12. We did, but mainly because we have had so many changes, main servers replaced and all sorts. Some profiles stored old settings (locally) and with switching to Win7/2008 R2 we needed to clear out old profiles. Most of it is fixed now but we still got some PCs with old profiles - these are currently being upgraded to windows 7. Next holiday (february) I plan to do a complete wipe of all profiles accross the system.
  13. Blow Up doll? I am going to look for a £5 for our one, think it will be awesome
  14. Video gone due to copyright.......... Good Win by Palace they deserved it, although I have noticed more people trying hard to "rub it in" towards the united fans which I think is by far OTT
  15. Glad to see some have the easy day, most of our staff are in only about 10 are not and with a 200 staff site thats impressive. Staff are already on the case of "I have an easy day what can i complain about", luckily enough I am a multi tasker - sorting out a laptop, frog work and our external site have realised their software isnt working.
  16. There is a lot of software out there that could put it as a flash file/flip book etc. I am currently playing with PDF to flip book style This sort of software can also do pictures.
  17. Good for F1, although this was a guy who didnt exactly perform his best every season. In 2008 it was Massa who became the title challenger not Kimi - and we all know how well Massa has done since Alonso joined. I hope he does well and we see him enjoying some more ice cream but I was never impressed with his performances.
  18. Exactly! Unless its really poor weather, that's it really isnt it. As long as the weather is good enjoy!
  19. mthomas08

    The iTV

    They could use iPlayer oh wait.... is iDigital taken yet? I guess they could go through the entire dictionary till they find a word they liked?
  20. Tell them to go thank the teachers Our Food Hall is open as normal and IT Support
  21. Well turns out parts of this school will be closed, parts open - ICT Suites open for students and a few other things...... Oh well at least I will carry on working.
  22. Nice post Rydra, also reminded me about disabled comedians - Mock of the Week had an australian who had a prosphetic leg and they all joked about it. Your point about jokes is exactly that - it is a joke. And even some comedians are actually very smart especially when it comes to coming up with their own materials. Again Rate up on that post for you!
  23. This is starting to feel like an episode of eastenders All we need now is to be living on the same street and add a few pregnancys.
  24. Exactly - I do watch his show when I get the chance and find it hilarious.
  25. I have to totally agree with you, so many jokes can be very offensive but in my opinion - grow a back a bone. If you do not like this type of comedy then do not watch him, I loved Mock of the Week till both Russel and Frankie left, Howards show is brilliant - still takes the mick out of some people (Frankly so what). So many jokes can be taken the wrong way, even the likes of Lee Evans have said their fair share in their times but no one cared. All this reminds me of the fuss that Frankie Boyle got over his jokes, strangely enough no one cared at the time till it was all repeated and more people started watching. When nobody knew who Frankie was no one cared, once he became popular everyone started kicking up a fuss. Frankly - too many cry babies in this country.
×
×
  • Create New...