-
Posts
3,240 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mthomas08
-
Could be worse, my step dad got my mother a birthday card by mistake..
-
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
You say complain so Frog know, but surely thats what their Support is for not an Edugeek forum? Unless its the Red Door. We are actually lucky to have some one Frog actually here, otherwise they have zero obligation to check here. Be the same if Staff here were complaining about our system and doing on a forum instead -
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Ask that again -
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Sadly I work in a School, after spending far too many years on other VLE options (I wont start a bashing) I cant help but prefer Frog. Plus in IT Support here I can't complain at others for not producing 100% Perfect systems when ours here and I know many other Schools are no where near the 80% mark let alone 100% working. Just didnt want to start a Lets Bash Frog arguement because Frog do have technical support Plus having people here complain to each other over the years instead of actually telling us is not the best thing to do either and although we too are guilty for saying "Problem lies between keyboard and Chair" some times it is actually the case even when Staff Swear to god its not. -
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Although i totally agree, i just understand what its like in support (I thought we all did). As Frog have mentioned they are expanding their work force to keep up with demands. I can imagine how hard it is for Frog, to have people like me who want new functions today and bug fixes ASAP. If people are really that worried about the updates they could opt out for a week or two for Schools like us to take the updates or do the right thing and pick up the phone. If problems are occurring often then I would be on the phone to Frog and try to get out of them if they are even on the case. As they seem to be, by employing more staff. Which again, is a good thing. Plus in todays world you can't simply employ staff unless income is strong and with the crises still hanging over our heads Frog will probably want a very strong income before proceeding. -
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Good to know Frog check these forums I believe I did say in a previous message some where that Frog are Currently growing their staff. Of course some people want "Perfection" but sad to say in IT things like this will always happen. To me its only ever a matter of time. in my job upgrading Exchange 2003 to 2010 was a nightmare let alone upgrading our Forest/Domain from 2000 native to 2008 R2. It happens and as long as Frog are on the case which looks like they are, we will all win in the end. -
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
No issues here so far, going through testing now, checking Extractor as well. Extractor working fine - then again I do my job and check every two weeks or so if I am running the most updated version The update actually fixed our Calendar as a result we can release our new website we have been designing for months. Will update if I find website issues but so far none. The only issue I really have is the fact I am not on the mailing list for the update and perhaps it would be an idea if Frog let school administrators know that there is a new extractor. -
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Sounds very weird if you are having serious issues, seems like you need a serious talk with Frog. As for Moodle we avoided that because our biggest Gripe with that is we have a similar setup and that is not working for us. -
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Sounds like your just not happy with frog? Maybe you need to talk to a senior manager there and discuss the fact your not happy. With your PDF files do you have your own copies you can upload and see if it works fine? I know there are massive browser issues and again they also get updated which does not help. Another reason why I stuck with IE most of the time with Frog stuff (I do use FireFox as well). I can't really help with your issues but it does seem that a serious talk perhaps with Frog are in need. You are actually the first person I have ever spoken to who are seriously considering on leaving frog. Only word of caution I will throw is if you go some where else do not expect things to be better. We actually left a VLE for our one for many reasons and that had its fair share of problems to the point where staff were getting furious at the point they used only what they HAD to use. -
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Although I do agree, problems are a massive head ache and phone support would always be the first thing to do. We have yet to have any issues with their updates and although MS can still get it huge wrong and cause problems - this is a company who are able to spend millions just for testing. Frog unfortunately are still growing - they recently admitted to employing more support staff and still needing more. To target Frog and expect zero issues is a bit OTT in my opinion. It can make you furious (I had an email server going offline every update thanks to MS) which for us is far more critical at the moment. Got it permanently fixed in the end by contacting support. Totally agree that if updates are causing problems perhaps more testing is required but that means delayed updates, more equipment? more staff? As Frog state, dont want the updates you are more than able to call them to opt out of the updates. Wait an additional two weeks for any issues to be resolved then get the update? When it comes to updating our servers I do tend to wait an additional month or two unless it's a high priority. You say your pages are broken, in what way? is it because they have made alterations to certain frog bricks which are causing an issue? Is this on every page or just a few? Sadly with any IT related system problems will occur, I know its only a matter of time till we encounter our first. -
IE 8/9 Office 2010/2003 (almost removed all 2003) - Word/Excel/Publisher/Access/Powerpoint Dreamweaver/Fireworks/Flash CS3
-
Frog Update is it me or does it always break things
mthomas08 replied to round2it's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Our last update we had zero issues, as for this latest one it seems to fix issues we are currently having with the calendar made public and actually sticking to monthly view. We should be done come monday/tuesday - cant wait really. Means our main site is almost completely tarnished. Not surprised at the update issues though because to be frank any updating software struggles, I have sworn at microsoft for breaking our old exchange server with a "Its a known issue you will need to contact MS Support to get the fix - you may be charged" garbage. We have had PCs fail due to updates, laptops even Firefox updates have caused me problems, McAfee Virus scanner Enterprise. So its not just a Frog issue sadly, everything will stay working if they only fixed bugs all day and not made alterations but would we be happy with that? nope WE WANT MORE! Hopefully we have zero issues with our update but if you do have problems just call them. If you guys can say what problems you are having I will know what to expect. -
Strange I know we are going to have the EXACT same issue, we have Frog and I have the Twitter widget setup on our school site and this does get blocked for students. Doesn't really matter though for us because its not the VLE part, do students need to be routed to the actual school site? Is there another page perhaps a "Student Page" they can put on to instead?
-
@Earthling You get 5 minutes notice?! Usually we get about 1 SECOND or "Done Yesterday".
-
We currently have a School page which doesnt get updated/not many joined this. PE Department page this is updated by a member of staff, this has a good amount of liked people.
-
We have some one who updates twitter, this is currently linked from our website and will be linked from our new frog. I have tried adding the HTML code for a little twitter widget but struggling to get it to work. Also no one can comment on it but they can follow of course
-
Opinions on the recent behavior of certain footballers
mthomas08 replied to GREED's topic in General Chat
Couldn't agree more, he was careful with the whole Rooney episode (possible leaving, personal life issues, his on pitch antics). Regardless of how people see racism what Liverpool did was coming across as supporting racism. -
Opinions on the recent behavior of certain footballers
mthomas08 replied to GREED's topic in General Chat
Agreed, although I do think it might have been harsh on the ban of that length, after what has been recently happening it had to occur. After reading what information was actually released (very little too) turned out that Suarez dug him self a hole by claiming he said it once when in fact he didnt. Kenny has been forced to keep quiet but to be honest I think a deal was cut to accept the ban or all the details got published. I think Evra wasn't hurt by what was said but decided to take it as racism and Suarez as mentioned didnt help him self by claiming it was said once. And of course the FA decided let's set an example which frankly had to occur due to recent events. I do agree though Fans supporting racism of any kind is disgusting and Liverpool have lost a lot of respect because of it. -
Good, we used to buy from them. Bad PCs and the server which we still have was even worse, we instructed them how to set them up for us and it was totally not done. Poor EIS guy came to install SIMs on one and took about 3 hours to find what was wrong with it and about two calls to 4Front..... Never purchased from them again and they admitted they screwed us over on those servers.
-
Peculiar Frog problem - anyone seen similar?
mthomas08 replied to TheCrust's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Strange, we only have this issue with Students and not staff. I would give technical staff a call, i still need to do this about students but if you can post the solution Our staff have zero issues in constructing sites in fact I have a non IT Literate art teacher who has done 3 departments. So really not sure what the problem is on that side. There is a part of frog called *roles* and I have gone through that, so my guess is a setting some where in the actual frog profile Staff. -
Someone remind me why Apple products are so expensive.....?
mthomas08 replied to Jawloms's topic in General Chat
See Apple products getting more flack Must say its weird that this convo popped up again at work, 3 months ago our Dep Head asked about prices for his own personal IPad. He wanted one, just like he wanted his iPhone (previously Blackberry). We knew what was coming, just few weeks ago we was told to order two IPads one for him and one for another Dep Head who he shares an office with. Will he use it for work or anything like that nope, but the school purchased expensive toys just so he has something fancy. Just like the iPhone which the school pays for, the only thing work wise they use it for is to Sync email which lets face it - they could have purchased him self. This is the same guy who owns a BMW, Grey suit and will use an umbrella from his car to his office (10 feet). You can guess he certainly cares about his image. We recently purchased a MAC Book and the Head was warned, when one gets it so will every one else. Conveniently we had a lot of "Apple" requests and each time we ask "Why do you need it" they look glum and clueless. I my self have an iPhone 4 and I dont use it for anything special other than calls/texts and my work emails. Which frankly you can do on most phones nowadays. Luckily enough we have a new Head coming september and well let's just say Staff heads are going to roll hard, I met the guy and know a few things about him and he certainly will not be giving in to staff. Schools are apparently struggling on money, redundancies so where is the legit reasons for purchasing expensive toys which frankly do less then a laptop. -
Someone remind me why Apple products are so expensive.....?
mthomas08 replied to Jawloms's topic in General Chat
It's interesting that people ask why are they expensive even though the parts are the same, I am a complete Anti Apple man. I totally agree its over priced for what it is but..... and it sickens me to say this. Their Macs are very good for what they do, they are reliable and work straight out the box with little faffing around. Although I did manage to crash our brand new MAC 2 years ago when I got it out the box Same goes for their iPhones, at first they were the only thing really available which gave us a ton of stuff on our phones (like Apps). I now own an iPhone 4, I didnt own the previous ones and even my other half now has the 4S. She cant stay off it, shes playing coin game at the moment. Yes the competition is growing and lets face it they all want a big portion of that Apple profit. Although i would always shout Apple release products which are not that useful for us here, personally they are pretty dandy.. I feel so dirty and I think I need a shower. -
I need to look at a new one, one which has a processor and no over heating issues when playing a decent game. I have a top expensive graphics card and a new powerful PSU which I would like to keep (can't remember exactly what). I was looking at the i7 processor I believe which looked powerful enough.
-
Did see that just now.. so I guess it starting then? And hackers are responding by targetting more US websites, the amount of websites been hacked in to in the last 2 years I don't think any one will notice any change. In fact all I see is tougher sentences and more resources tracking them down. I would do a thumbs up but I am too ill.
