Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Fit To be honest, I always found her cute as hell, I wonder if the other one who was in Yes Man (forgot her name) will get her phone hacked. Although to be fair, I wouldnt be impressed if my phone was hacked. None of us would be if we stored anything private on them, naughty texts, pictures etc. I for one would probably go mental as well.
  2. We would have agreed with this about 2 years ago, but the last 18 months has been hard to contact our account manager. We look forward to being able to contact him in the new financial year though.... As for the Kit - you get what you pay for not dog cheap but not expensive. We are actually looking at Dell laptops because we have been impressed server wise. And just want to see if we can get better support and laptops/reliability etc. Our 2-3 year old laptops seem to be struggling from Novatech, the 3 year old ones are becoming very unreliable - over heating causing random shutdowns, other motherboard issues causing shutdowns. Desktops though we have had a few PSU's blow lately.
  3. Kind of how I feel, the IPad it self is kinda new and is the new toy to get. Give it time more people will have one but then again every household pretty much has a laptop/pc as well. Tech really is everywhere.
  4. Still: If its not broken dont fix it? Although at home I use both IE/FF and tend to use FF over IE but I will admit, at work IE has worked well enough and the only students who complain are those who just want to use FF for the sake of it. Speed wise on our Windows 7 PCs with IE9 have had very little issues for speed.
  5. Another version? Maybe they are realising the last two were just as bad as IE. Even some of our staff here are saying its too slow compared to chrome.
  6. Brilliant I totally agree with these posts, my nephew is playing games he shouldnt but he never repeats what goes on the game. In a game you dont have to worry about "tomorrow" my nephew knows right from wrong yet in a game he does what he wants. We as a people have always been violent and that will not change over night, as bad as it is to say this we still murder over money and love so blaming games for 1 death a year really is OTT. If some one has it in them to kill, they have it in them regardless.
  7. Brilliant, just spotted all that, very funny. Lets go ahead and buy an iPad for every student and put the back bone in the schools for that option. In a financial climat of today that is an insane proposal, perhaps he works for Apple?
  8. "Almost half the surveyed educators said they didnt have enough - or good enough laptops and PC's of high enough quality". That one sentence can sum up a lot, exactly who was surveyed? teaching/support staff? laptops on wireless? If we did a survey on "Is your laptop/desktop good enough" I can bet my right arm that 85% of them will always vote no because their kit is not under 6 months old and if it doesn't load up within 3 seconds it is classed as slow. Not surprised that Schools are not too sure though, they spent months/years telling us we needed VLE's, decent IT Equipment and managed services etc then pulled the plug on everything.
  9. Maybe his name was Torres? missing some one at 6 feet away seems much more likely now.
  10. Lucas is a failure of his own success and we do have the "older" generation to blame. The original Star Wars worked even though critics said it wouldnt and I remember watching an old interview and he did say that so many people were against him. He did it the way he wanted regardless what others said... Kind of reminds you of something?
  11. Maybe she just wants you to smell nicer Fan of Lynx Excite my self, smells great, I get compliments, thats what matters
  12. Agree with you on that, 3 of us in this office age range 21-55 and we do have a right laugh at times
  13. This. I did this for a member of staff here to allow them to reset passwords ONLY on student accounts, this member of staff is very trust worthy and wouldnt leave her laptop unlocked with kids near by and is a great little tool. Great that some one raised it back because I had forgotten how I did it all
  14. I feel young! 28..... 30 will catch me soon enough, 30 going on 22 with my mental age.
  15. Should come work next door with us, we always have IT work and if anyone says otherwise I offer them a place in our office for a week. They soon change their minds. We do our best to train our staff, we dont DO it for them 90% of the time, they get paid to do their job not us
  16. Some one beat me to it, Happy Birthday though. Not the type of gifts I would want but I am easy - Dont know what to get me? DRINK will do fine.
  17. Totally agreed, but then the same could be said for those who steal all the time (including those who did while rioting was on).
  18. To be fair to them, we don't use sites like that for "Legit" reasons.
  19. Although I am a total Anti Wireless because staff need to "understand" more when it comes to wireless to a cable. It does allow less network points to be installed in classes, dont require to be plugged in every time they move from one class to another. Also allows them to be any where in the class room and be more portable. In our cases it can also provide internet/email access to mobiles and portable devices. Although some laptops we have switch on the wireless after they have logged on which will cause issues and also slow things down when accessing network files.
  20. Bump* Hope you all dont mind, think we going to head for the NX3000 Dell which comes with Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and have two of them setup as a cluster. Would this work well as a Home Drive server? easy to share? map with Active Directory batch files - simply will it work exact the same as our current Home Drive system which are just a bunch of shared folders on a server Hard Drive. Permissioning and all that will relatively be the same easy style as current one?
  21. Sad thing is, it's the non IE companies/users who kicked up the fuss that resulted in MS bringing that out
  22. Space wise, I am always one for a buffer. I spent about 2 weeks going through it all and managed to save 150GB just by compressing pictures in documents or urging staff to remove their "personal ones". I am currently looking at Windows Server Storage 2008 R2 on that Dell box, I know some times cheap/non MS is the way to go but the one time we chose non DELL it turned out to be a bad decision. We are a MS Vanilla network so being able to manage anything outside of a Windows setup becomes more time consuming because I will have to do more research. Although I will browse and have a look at the options. I guess the flack I through at the current server is also dueto the fact it was not my choice, infact a DELL server was. Budget wise looking at 10K+ possibly more, obviously not something put together with a few bits of string Looking at the NX300 with Windows Storage Enterprise R2 - I will probably end up ringing DELL because I need to know if this can easily be mapped to/permissioned for each user similar to normal Windows Share.
  23. Hi everyone, one of those times again where your opinions are valuable We recently had issues with our home drive data server, it was cheap and cheerful which is why it has failed 3 times over the last 2-3 years. So we are looking in to replacing it and because we have become so heavily in to IT (most of the students course work is produced on computers 1600+ users). We need something big, reliable, redundant. One option is Clustering, we want the ability where a server fails then the system is pretty much unaffected while the dead server is restored. What would you all choose? what kind of setup? I am currently looking at 2x Dell PowerVault NX3000 setup with Storage enterprise, both servers will have R5 setup with hot swaps etc. So replacing parts on one server will not take forever and ofcourse clustering for a dead server with unaffected down time. Many thanks for your replies, you can be totally honest. Some might say the above is overkill but this is something that really can not be down for 1 hour let alone longer. Spec wise, we need at least 1-2TB of space, currently 500GB used, which has gone from 20GB 6 years ago.
  24. Only the email groups are required and only untill we switch to FROG which is updated over night from SIMs. There are usually only about 30 kids a year tops who change groups and I only create an average of 10 groups (class lists) a year on the system. As for bulk import I resorted to AddUsers batch file which imported it all for me only took about 1 hour. I will be resorting to the new 2008R2 system once I have the time to do the research, I have checked the Salamander site and I do see a lot of uses for it but simply wont be able to push that kind of money. Not when we need to replace our Home drive system with something top notch and the school needs to seriously save money. Sorry but that is a lot of money to us for something that can just save me some time once a year.
  25. Well blew that idea out the water, £999 + VAT for an annual license and a one off install of £400 + VAT. Far too expensive for what I am after, I will do some more googling and try and find a cheaper solution but that's a lot of money for something that I need for the next 5 months and then once a year.
×
×
  • Create New...