Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Backup wednesday to drive stored in our server room, Friday to external building, Shadow copy for restoring the basics. Our service provider backup our Admin/sims server We are considering going a next step up at some point.
  2. Good to see convo's like this pop up, in the last 7 years I have seen email get used from 10 staff to every staff member and every student. If email goes down for 2 minutes everyone will realise they can not live without it so I am glad to see convo's like this pop up and give me some ideas. We are currently looking to buying a new email server which will have 2008 R2 x64 with exchange 2010, I am still thinking on what to do with the current one who future redundancy. Our school is very IT reliant and if anything goes down for a few minutes then serious problems occur (like students/staff not able to work). I will look at DPM and possibly virtualisation for exchange. We have just virtualised our EPO, print, program servers. So I already have Hyper V on the system and running fine with no real problems. It is the way forward with us, we are becoming an academy and just purchased Frog, every block has PC's galore, 50% of all the work produced is on a PC and 95% all Post16 work is done on PC. So we must have things working and always working - 99.99% it should be online for.
  3. Really does make it feel much better, very good simple idea (meant as a big compliment), hard work, some time = great result Some people would resulted in being over the top but what you done there does make a difference.
  4. We have a netgear nas here, had it for almost two years. It struggles when over used, we tried to get Home areas on it and it bombed out. Our fault really, SAN for us is really the way to go. So we use our nas just for basic storage and backing up to. I would google each product/company and see if any problems arrise.
  5. Kasperky's TDSS Killer lives on - Computerworld Blogs This actually solved my problem, its a simple little scanner. It was my fault really I was looking for a cough cough crack and running it didnt do anything. Instead I noticed a while later it had stopped updates and Essentials, MalwareBytes and Mcafee did not pick up anything but the TDSS killer did. It had also stopped IE from working properly so I resorted to firefox. I just had a laptop though which struggled with IE and updates after a Windows 7 update.. resorted to system restore.
  6. You're right there, but then I feel as if the public cares enough about some thing it will be in the news and F1 has been more in the news since 2007 then I ever remember. I am sure more viewers watch the likes of F1 over Golf. As X Factor receives insane amount of news because lets face it... its what the public love. That's why I would always have in my mind "If its news its what the public care about". So thats my view on that but then as most things thats my opinion, as like most opinions wouldnt change either.
  7. F1 cost them a lot of money to cover... Which lets face it, Strictly Come Dancing costs them what exactly? They probably pay the Judges/hosts/Trainers, if I remember rightly the stars go on that show get paid nout? and I am sure that it costs no where near 40Mil to have that show on. Probably wouldnt cost them that for 10 years...
  8. True but then F1 is more in the news then Golf, except that cough cough cheating issue.
  9. I have already made my complaint, saw this on PlanetF1. There is so many things on the BBC which I find total rubbish and many other sports like Golf which I dont know anyone who watches it. Surely F1 has become much more popular, I remember when it was rarely in the news.
  10. Just shows the damage.. you never really see it till you show a before and after.. And there is me worrying about saving up to move out finally and people over there have just lost everything.
  11. I had this problem once, it also stopped Windows Essentials from updating. I did some googling to find a KZM/Killer (cant remember the exact name of it) but its an exe that removed some thing on my PC that was malware. Essentials died as a result of it and MalwareBytes didnt pick it up, so I googled and found the exe. If you want this I can get the name of it when I get home tonight and post it. I am guessing your internet explorer works fine though? (my issue included IE not working).
  12. Our service provider are very anti Skype, not sure the reasons why I believe I heard them say some thing to do with insecure. We use that with our staff, at the moment we are happy not using it.
  13. Could be worse could be the wedding which will be covered for a whole week... Reminds me when it snowed, News just in... Snow causing chaos, next day News just in... Snow causing chaos.. repeat for a week or two.
  14. Without seeming like I want to argue We can replace our core switch within 5 minutes, we have everything on seperate servers so if something goes down you only lose a single system. "Cloud" systems means everything is your internet connection (or most things) and that is where some people will always be touchy over it. Plus wouldnt most of our jobs be out the window and resort back to being a basic technician if all our servers were managed by a CORP? Similar to BSF we would all help the transfer but surely become redundant one day?
  15. This is how things should go, but lets face it, costs a lot more money. We here have had a internet outtage rarely over the last 18 months (Touch wood). Once solved at 9pm sharp (weirdly enough the second EIS start working) another time up and running by about 9:45 I believe. The times before that it was our networking in a main hub area. Our service provider are brilliant when it comes to to getting their end sorted out and they do have a backup link we can use. It still is a niggling thing if you do lose the net, we have just got Frog and that will be a in house server and although some will say cloud computing is the future, some said the same thing about Mini Discs/HD DVDs, hell even Flat screen TVs and DVDs have been around for a very long time well before they got off the ground. Not saying cloud computing isnt the future but I am not saying it "is", the whole wikileaks thing put water on that fire.
  16. We are going to purchase the microsoft annual package which allows us to run what we got and upgrade. It will cost us 9k a year, to be honest I like free but usually there is a huge difference. So we will be sticking to microsoft for 5 years at least if the world doesnt suddenly change. To be honest though if the rivals started to take a huge share out of MS surely they will either have to drop their prices big time or make their products free in some way. At the moment for us MS is the way to go, its the language of the world and gives our students best prep for leaving here.
  17. Well it is done, we are getting frog. I asked about the importing of users and apparently you should only have to run the import once. Their importer does allow you to configure how your users are setup before importing but I guess I will see how that goes. In about two weeks they will be in to install it. I have noticed people not happy with the customising of Frog are php lovers We have produced a huge list of what we want on Frog and hope to develope as time goes by and all that is a yes, I am sure people will ask for other things and get a no but then that is some thing for the future. I am just going through filling out the Pre Install sheet and awaiting for our service provider (EIS) to get back to me about the final sections After testing the Demo with several staff/Students I must say it is much easier then a a lot of other VLEs I have tested. And everyone seemed very happy with the looks and feel of it all. Afterall they are the ones who the VLE is for
  18. I keep asking for shockwave to be added but no go so far.. As for home PC rebuilding, I always worry I will lose some thing, like my Steam account details... I had a ton of games but because I cant remember the exact email address I used and didnt take note of any CD keys im pretty much screwed...
  19. Had it for a long time, since it was Blueyonder.. At times it used to just randomly stop working, lately it has been decent since demanding a new up to date modem box. Their technical support though are ridiculous, even after you tell them what you have tried they still insist on following their procedure. Which also has never changed... and dont ask technical questions because they also do not understand... Frankly they are like actors playing the part of a technician with a script in front of them. To be honest though you probably will never find a perfect broadband provider, if you are having problems threaten to leave and get a better deal. We have had some staff struggle to pick up the Sky Wireless with certain types of laptops and if you google them you will find others. Might be a good idea to google a broadband provider problems to see if others have a lot of issues
  20. Drunk Sith As for the church of Apple, wouldnt they charge extortion prices? I am sure they would be much more fussy who they let in. Good side, the queue will be very short so "Quick" to get in.
  21. Like many others I too get annoyed at certain things on the motorway, I use my horn often. Lately I have been using cruise control to keep my speed at about 65/70 and never ever going over due to fuel prices. I think it is a nice idea but then who can afford to go faster? Personally I believe they should raise the driving limit to 20 and they are forced to do at least certain amount of lessons. Certain people cant handle their car let alone speeds..
  22. Magic Wand Crystal Ball Paper Clip
  23. First casualty, EPO has stopped working, just sitting there not loading the login screen. I might have to have a play around and perhaps resort to snapshot restore.
  24. Glad other people have updated and no trouble so far. I have R2 2008 Enterprise x64, I wil update this and the Hyper V servers on it. Fingers crossed, glad some of you said it takes a while, I will start this on one of the servers as a test (which doesnt get used at the mo). Great info all.
  25. I was thinking the same, Edugeek has been a way for me to keep in contact with the "Know How" of the "REAL WORLD". And I say real world because you are all working in not just business areas but education as well. With budgets you can not simply move to windows 7, then you have to worry about the impact of students+staff using some thing new. Not forgetting you also have 50+ software packages that are relied upon by Departments. I have been pushing windows 7 as much as possible here in the last 12 months but I have realised it isnt as simple as 1 2 3. We have had some issues and we are finding more as time goes by. Which requires us to find the time to research in to permanent solutions. We only have 3 staff to deal with everything for a 1600+ user 800+ Computers on a heavily used IT system.... I have currently a virtual server setup which I have been playing with for about 2-3 weeks now, windows 2008 r2 x64 which again I have encountered issues with. This will replace Printserver/EPO/Programs (so I have had to play around with that too). I also have on delivery Exchange 2010, which I again will have to play with. I am hoping to get Exchange 2010 in place by Xmas or September, depending how much time it requires etc. So as a edugeek member, how am I going to be stuck on XP by 2013
×
×
  • Create New...