-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
We have endless trouble with Windows Media Player and DVDs. It's a codec issue, but as we have PowerDVD installed everywhere we just tell the staff to load it in that (as they should anyway - Media Player wasn't designed for DVDs).
- 6 replies
-
- dvd no sound
- dvd sound
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm in the process of looking at XenServer Free Edition, and wondered what the answers were in terms of backing up systems on it. We currently use BackupExec in a D2D2T schema. The autoloader is directly connected to one of our servers - a server that would have XenServer Free on should we move with it. How do I utilise the autoloader when it is connected to a XenServer machine? Is it even possible?
-
I would also seek compensation through this outside organisation you hired. If they were paid to do a job and they haven't completed it to a satisfactory level (and people not being able to logon is unsatisfactory to me!) then there should be penalty clauses. Saying that, we had penalty clauses built in with our ISP but I'm sure they were along the lines of: SCENARIO: Internet goes down for more than 2 hours PENALTY: The school is penalised by having to go without the internet for more than 2 hours. SCENARIO: A logged job is not dealt with in the given timescale PENALTY: The school has to wait longer for us to get off our lazy backsides to complete logged job.
-
Youtube and Internet Access
Hightower replied to soapyfish's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Take a look at something called Fliggo (I think). Allows you to store the videos you want meaning kids can't access everything. Might be useful. -
[video] One of those cosmic star sizes videos you encounter on Youtube
Hightower replied to mattx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
LOL @ the bit where it says "Earth - You are here". Really? We're on Earth? Must have taken a wrong turn out the womb all those years ago! LOL -
Just the good old Queens here!
-
Our school was opened in 1912 and we still have some original members of staff - getting them to use a computer is a pain!
-
Our EWO here called yesterday - a very irritating man. "Printers jammed" so I trundle down to sort it out. EWO: "While you're here, I have a new laptop at home. In a book I have it asks me to click the left button. Would that be this one?" while pointing to the left cursor key. The teacher in the room at the time burst out laughing and I even had to turn away to laugh before straightening my face to provide him with a serious answer. He came in today with his laptop and asked for help again: On Windows 7 he said "The IE with a circle was in the bottom left and I just clicked that for the internet. It has disappeared though. Eeeeee, I'm terrible with computers. You must think I'm an idiot" ME: "Yes" while pinning the IE icon back to the taskbar EWO: "Oh, I tried for hours to do that last night, and it has just taken you two seconds. You've really got this computer larky down" ME: "That's maybe why I get paid for working with computers" EWO: "Right, well thanks, now to shut it down" He's looking for ages at the screen so I lean across to tap the power button to start the shutdown for him EWO: "NO! Don't do that?" ME: "Excuse me?" EWO: "I was told never to do that!" Computer proceeds to successfully shutdown EWO: "I'll have to turn it back on because last time I did that I had to get someone out to fix it" ME: "Whatever" Computer successfully boots up EWO: Confused "The last time I did that someone had to come out and install new anti-virus software. It completely buggered it up" ME: Can't even be bothered to question that as doubt a sensible response from him! BOSS: "You know Mr X, you can request computer courses via work" EWO: "Oh, I don't need lessons, just need to sit down with someone for half an hour and I'll be fine." EWO looks at me..... ME: "Sorry, not covered on job description to teach people with a mental age of 1 and a half. I can however offer private tuition at around £150 per hour" EWO: "No, it's okay. I'll struggle on. Thanks"
-
Merged School and Office networks. What now?
Hightower replied to POWict's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
To me your two networks shouldn't be able to talk to each other. If you want this to happen it would seem (but don't take this as golden) that you either need to bring one network into the other range, or even change your subnet to extend your network range. -
I started playing with Server 2008 and I found it was a pain. Everything was not where I expected it to be, and to do something simple like assign a static IP seemed to take an age with browsing through a maze of menus. I'm sure it will all make sense when I start getting used to where stuff is, but at the moment it seems like a completely foreign OS to me.
-
Well we are planning on spending 3 weeks out of the 6 weeks in a tent, and with the weather this country suffers (especially the lakes) I'd imagine we would spend a fair amount of time in the tent.
-
Well the two I listed both have heights of 2metres
-
Remember to lace it with pro plus - tis the technicians way!
-
We're after some sort of tunnel tent though that can comfortably fit me in standing up (I'm 6'4") - do these quick erect tents come like this too? TBH, it's a case of beggers can't be chosers. I don't want to spend too much on our first tent and these are (currently) the only two available to me.
-
Tell me about it. Since cutting my Diet Coke intake I feel like I need to sleep 10 hours a day!
-
Okay - please help me decide! I've decided the trailer tent is a no go after seeing photos of it. So which of these is the better buy? Wynnster Eagle 6 Tent Reviews and Details 1 for around £120 and only purchased late last year. or Outwell Hartford XL Tent (2010) online - World of Camping which is 3 years old (so may not be the exact model I posted) and they want £100 for it. HELP HELP HELP!
-
Highpoint? :)
-
What places? The kind of places that are on the County's supplier list, or the kind of places where you have to pay with gold and teeth? I'm a bit suspect (from reading several other posts) about how bad the support line is for Acer. May very well be under warranty, but if they take 2 months to sort it then what it the point.
-
After finding a thread about Acer projectors here I started to worry a little about their support, or lack of as others have said. The folks on that thread recommended an NEC: This is the one I found: NEC NP215GEDU 2500 ANSI Lumens XGA Projector - Misco.co.uk Although the lamps are more expensive, the projector is cheaper and bought with a spare lamp comes to around £490, whereas the Acer with a spare lamp is around £505. The NEC also has a longer life expentancy on the lamp, a brighter image, a 3 year warranty for the projector AND bulb, and a LAN connection for management. The Acer only has a 1 year on the projector and 90 days on the bulb. What do people think of the NEC one?
-
Morning folks, We're looking to replace an extremely old projector that has a throw of around 3 metres. Rather than move the pole forward we have decided to replace with a projector that can handle 3 metres (on a 70" screen) and came across this: Acer P1265 XGA projector - 2400 ANSI lumens - Misco.co.uk Couldn't believe Misco also have replacement lamps for around £75! Anyhow, does anyone have any advice as we haven't user Acer in A/V before. Am I also correct in thinking (probably a silly question) that this model can be easily ceiling mounted (on a universal mount)? Should this be okay? Or if you have a projector to recommend it has to: * Be pretty cheap - looking around the £400 mark * Have cheap replacement lamp as a bonus! * Handle a 70" image at a throw of 3 metres * Have a VGA output to return to the monitor Thanks,
-
Really?! Where is mine then? Is this a rolling thing - I thought they just would have flicked a switch and said "there you all go, enjoy!"
-
It was my first trip! I have yet to master the "you're on holiday, relax" mode. Everything is serious - like how it only took me 1hr30 to do the walk yet it took the wife 2hr05. She wasn't happy when she finally got back, but I think that's just because I won!
-
@SYSMAN: This is the email I got from the wife when I sent her it: Thanks for your efforts SYSMAN, but if you could tweak the couple of things she has asked for then she will be even more indebted to you. Thanks, EDIT: Or if there is a PSD file that I can edit (as I'm sure I can handle the changing of colours )
-
I don't know what went wrong for your weekend @Simcfc73: but this is what we did on ours and it was great! Sat 11:00 - Pulled up at site, checked in, got passes etc, went to pitch 11:10 - Put tent up, not enough pegs (thanks to brother) so nipped to onsite shop to buy some) 11:25 - Tent up, car emptied (everything in tent) and started blowing up newly purchased airbed with wife had removed from packaging - had a built in foot pump which was handy 11:35 - Pumping for 10 minutes and nothing happening. Legs aching, look at wife who is still holding the plug in her hand! Shout, laugh, put in plug and blow up. 11:40 - Taking some doing, but the neighbour realises what we are attempting to do and kindly loans us her electric pump. 11:40:32 - Airbed up. 11: 41 - Tent zipped up, jump in car and head to Keswick 12:10 - Land at Keswick, and do some shopping. Found walking shoes reduced from £50 to £20. Bargain. Get to check out and shoes are in fact £10 now - bigger bargain. Fish and chips and head back to site. 14:30 - back at site, chill out for 30 mins 15:00 - time to test new shoes. head for walk - 6 miles. 17:00 - Chill out for 30 minutes at tent 17:30 - Washed, dressed, and head out in car for some food. Find a little pub in the middle of nowhere and decide that'll do nicely 19:00 - meal finished, head back to site, ditch car at pitch and walk down to onsite pub. 20:00 - Couple of beers, absolutely burnt out so head back to tent. Drink bottle of wine sat outside watching the world go round. 22:00 - Time for bed as knackered. Drift straight off Sun 08:00 - Wake up - WOW, 10 hours! (and i'm a VERY light sleeper) 09:30 - Ready, bags packed and in the car. Start to take tent down. 09:35 - tent down, bagged, and in car. Head for breaky 10:30 - Breaky was lovely, head to brough castle for a look around 11:00 - Start to head home 12:00 - Decide to go to High Force for a little driving break 14:00 - Get home, ready to chill out with TV We did so much in less than 24 hours, and it was tiring but I also felt so relaxed.
-
The way I see it is, if they need them then that is what their departmental budget is for.
