-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
Give him a ring and we'll just bunk with him! On a serious note, I would love to hear his story.....
-
Well, the missus has just texted me and things have been confirmed. Need to speak properly with her, but she's been offered her dream job today but only for maternity leave of 9 months starting November. This takes us up to August next year, and the wage is so much better. I'm thinking now, sell the house, back with rents, save hard (made easier by OH's pay rise) and head to Cyprus once her 9 month contract is up.
-
Just outside of Paphos, in one of the small villages/communities. The plan is to go with enough in the bank to live for a year without work. That should be ample time to find something to make a success of it. I'm thinking £10-15k.
-
I guess I want to go because when I look outside, I see a country that is failing, and failing fast. Cyprus is on the cards because my brother is heading there soon enough.
-
Options: 1) Sell the house, move back in with rents until October 2011, save hard, and move to Cyprus 2) Sell the house, buy a house in the village where I was born, and let the Cyprus dream die, hopefully living happily ever after
-
Talk to a 192.168 address from a 10.0 address
Hightower replied to mattx's topic in Wireless Networks
Is the server that has 2 NICS using the Windows OS variety? If so, I'm sure you can quite easily (as in 30 seconds of work) configure a router within it to allow the two subnets to talk. Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick though. -
Here's the full list I added to NetList.txt in order to get the card working for the initial part of the build: 14E4 1692;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 167e;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 167f;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1692;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1693;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1694;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1694;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1698;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1699;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 169a;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 169b;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 169c;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16b1;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16b2;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16b5;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16b6;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16dd;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16ff;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 170d;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 170e;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 170f;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1712;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1713;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver Not sure exactly which one of this it picked up, as don't have time to do an elimination process on them.
-
Got it working. I found a list of all the other Device ID's for a Broadcom NetLink Gigabit NIC, and added them to the NetList.txt file as well. This device is definately showing as 14E4 1692 in device manager, but it must be being recognised as something else as part of the initial build process. I'll post the list up that I added in case someone needs this in future.
-
So I logged on, got the vendor and device as 14E4 1692, and double checked this on a couple of machines - all give the same vendor and device so that's good news. I add the following line to NetList.txt in the source folder within L:\RMRebuild\Build Manager\RM\Source: 14E4 1692;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver Within L:\RMRebuild\Build Manager\DosDrv I have a driver folder called c_D380LAN and that has a description of Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver I've recreated my build disks from this server, and checked the NetList.txt on the new floppy which shows the added line. However, when I go to build a machine it says it can't find an RM supplied NIC and to select one from the list still. Any ideas?
-
Exactly what the tech article says
-
Think I've just found my answer, maybe should have looked there first. Here's the tech article that hopefully helps me solve it, in case anyone stumbles on this in future: Log In
-
Morning folks, I'm currently sorting our new Dells out, and feel refreshed after a nice week in Cornwall. I've sorted out the audio/video driver issues (I think, testing now but looks good). The DOS driver for LAN was the first thing to go on, and worked fine except I had to tell it which driver to use (it didn't autodetect). Not a problem, but now I have time to try and fix this little issue, so can anyone tell me what line I add to NetList.txt on the build disk? The lines look like this: 8086 1029;e100vm;Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 The third part is obviously the name of the driver as I've called it when adding it, so mine would be something like: xxxx xxxx;xxxxxx;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN The problem is I'm not sure what the first two things in the required line are, and where I would find them so I can add the line to do autodetects. Any ideas folks?
-
Also, I think you need to restart the web service for the above to take effect.
-
Got my 53 plate Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CTDi with 80,000 miles in January for £650. Checked on Parkers and it said the car was worth £2000-£2500. Okay, it was a private buy - not trade - but thought it was worth posting up because I got a cracking deal!
-
How To Hack a Computer: Action Movie Edition
-
Thanks for telling me how to boot to a different device. Much appreciated!
-
Normally, the CC3 build disk will load and the first thing is says is something like "starting windows 98" or something similar. It doesn't even get this far though. It just goes straight to some IO error!
-
We're CC3 here, and use the standard method of building workstations - with a floppy disk. Well, actually that's a lie. We use the HP tool to take a USB pen and turn it into a bootable thingy of sorts. It's always worked well on our workstations (mostly RM) but when trying to get some new Dell OptiPlex 380's to run from the device it gets an I/O error of some sort. It will, however, run fine from a USB floppy drive, and the pens (tried a few) that fail in the Dells all work fine in other machines when booting. I've taken a look through the BIOS but it's one of those new fangled ones and I can't find anything of relevance that might resolve this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
-
What kind of network? RM have released an update for CC3 networks which is fairly straight forward, but I would have also thought M$ would release this to WSUS servers allowing you to easily roll it out to a Vanilla network if that is what you use.
-
It was my facebook status update that very night! "What operating system are you running?!" "Vista!" "We're dead"
-
Jesus and Satan have a discussion as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they come to an agreement to hold a contest, with God as the judge. They sit themselves at their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for several hours straight. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over. He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out." "Very well, then," says God, "let us see if Jesus fared any better." Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is astonished. He stutters, "B-b-but how? I lost everything, yet Jesus' program is intact. How did he do it?" God smiled all-knowingly, "Jesus saves." An artist, a lawyer, and a computer scientist are discussing the merits of a mistress. The artist tells of the passion, the thrill which comes with the risk of being discovered. The lawyer warns of the difficulties. It can lead to guilt, divorce, bankruptcy. Not worth it. Too many problems. The computer scientist says "It's the best thing that's ever happened to me. My wife thinks I'm with my mistress. My mistress thinks I'm home with my wife, and I can spend all night on the computer!" The following is a conversation overheard as Bill Gates was moving into his new house... Bill: "There are a few issues we need to discuss." Contractor: "Ah, you have our basic support option. Calls are free for the first 90 days and $75 a call thereafter. Okay?" Bill: "Uh, yeah... the first issue is the living room. We think its a little smaller than we anticipated." Contractor: "Yeah. Some compromises were made to have it out by the release date." Bill: "We won't be able to fit all our furniture in there." Contractor: "Well, you have two options. You can purchase a new, larger living room or you can use a Stacker." Bill: "Stacker?" Contractor: "Yeah, it allows you to fit twice as much furniture into the room. By stacking it, of course, you put the entertainment center on the couch... the chairs on the table... etc. You leave an empty spot, so when you want to use some furniture you can unstack what you need and then put it back when you're done." Bill: "Uh... I dunno... issue two. The second issue is the light fixtures. The bulbs we brought with us from our old home won't fit. The threads run the wrong way." Contractor: "Oh! That's easy. Those bulbs aren't plug and play. You'll have to upgrade to the new bulbs." Bill: "And the electrical outlets? The holes are round, not rectangular. How do I fix that?" Contractor: "Just uninstall and reinstall the electrical system." Bill: "You're kidding!?" Contractor: "Nope. Its the only way." Bill: " Well... I have one last problem. Sometimes, when I have guests over, someone will flush the toilet and it won't stop. The water pressure drops so low that the showers don't work." Contractor: "That's a resource leakage problem. One fixture is failing to terminate and is hogging the resources preventing access from other fixtures." Bill: "And how do I fix that?" Contractor: "Well, after each flush, you all need to exit the house, turn off the water at the street, turn it back on, reenter the house and then you can get back to work." Bill: "That's the last straw. What kind of product are you selling me?" Contractor: "Hey, if you don't like it nobody made you buy it." Bill: "And when will this be fixed?" Contractor: "Oh, in your next house -- which will be ready to release sometime near the end of next year. Actually it was due out this year, but we've had some delays..." A man walks into a Silicon Valley pet store looking for a monkey. The storeowner points towards three identical looking monkeys in politically correct, animal-friendly natural mini-habitats. "The one to the left costs $500," says the storeowner. "Why so much?" asks the customer. "Because it can program in C," answers the storeowner. The customer inquires about the next monkey and is told that "That one costs $1500, because it knows Visual C++ and Object-Relational technology." The startled man then asks about the third monkey. "That one costs $3000," answers the storeowner. "$3000!" exclaims the man. "What can that one do?" To which the owner replies, "To be honest, I've never seen it do a single thing, but it calls itself a Consultant."
-
Junior ICT Technician - Cleeve School - Salary: c.£17k
Hightower replied to djm968's topic in Educational IT Jobs
WOW - this is a really good wage for someone starting out in a career in IT! -
Congratulations when it arrives. But on another note, who gets married on a Friday?! Never known that been done, as it would surely mean all the guests have to find time off from work?
-
Putting the modules back to how they were is something you will have to do on your own - should always have a backup/copy before making any changes. As for changing the background colour, it seems to me (from attached screenshot) that your background is from an image - so quite simply change the image that makes up the background.
-
Lol - I'm guessing you've been there and done that! It is indeed for the HD audio drivers, but on further reading it seems that SP3 irons these issues out.
