-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
Didn't offend. Just failed to see the funny side. Maybe because it wasn't funny.
-
I don't get it?! Just wasted 10 seconds looking at that, thanks
-
That's only got a 12" screen. I hate coding on my 10" laptop and 12" can't be much better. Looking for at least 15" I would think. Looking more and more like the Vaio
-
There's nothing wrong with XP. You've got the wrong end of the stick. Naturally we still need to replace machines over time, and when that time comes next year all we will be able to get is machines with Windows 7. XP won't be available, it's as simple as that. It's not a case of wanting to jump, more a case of being shoved by Microsoft.
-
Can anyone recommend me a laptop. It needs to be thin and lightweight (Vaio's were looking nice here), no more than £500 ex VAT (although cheapers ones will do too), and obviously as best spec as possible for that money. I've found these two at Misco: Sony VAIO VPCEB1E0E/WI Notebook PC - Misco.co.uk Compaq 610 Notebook PC - Misco.co.uk What do people think of these?
-
I don't think the poster meant it with those intentions though. Let's face it. CC3 was designed to allow schools easy management without an IT team many moons - that was its purpose. My old gaffa forgot more than I know now and he was managing a CC3 network. By using CC3 it allowed him (as it does so many others) to get on with more important tasks. Personally, the trouble I've had with our CC3 here since coming, it would have been easier to have a Vanilla network installed - but that was down to colleagues messing with things not to be messed with before I started.
-
I get the distinct feeling @Bossman: wants a job with RM. You'd make a great sales person sir! Made even easier when you actually love the product you're selling!
-
We buy our machines from other suppliers, like Dell, and that's exactly my point. You won't be able to get these OEM licences from suppliers as from next year! You will only be able to get Windows 7, and as is the topic of discussion Windows 7 does not work on CC3. There's some good stuff in there. Gonna hunt something tribal out for Dad for next week. Next meeting I'll be at is the NM's that is arranged by the LA.
-
That's great if you get all your hardware from RM and want to stay with an outdated OS for years to come. Support for SP3 may carry on for decades as far as we know, however, licences are not available for XP as from next year. So what happens when we come to buy machines next summer and all we can get is Windows 7?! That's right - our network won't support that OS. Not OTT at all - lets face it, XP is outdated, and so is CC3. This is possibly the shove a lot of people need to get their networks updated to a 'modern' OS - myself included
-
Let's not let this get into another CC4 is better than Vanilla debate. I simply want to know what the plan is for people who have CC3. A quick and easy "we're going to CC4" or "we're going to look into Vanilla" will suffice. I purely want to know how each school is planning to cope with the end of XP. There's plenty of other threads to boast about how great your CC4 is. Thanks,
-
Pretty much impossible. Can you not download moodle again and reinstall as required?
-
I guess you could. But the main flaw there is you won't be able to get the drivers no more either. The second major flaw there for us is we don't have an M$ agreement or anything, so require the OEM licence on the machine to be correctly covered for licencing.
-
You need to give more information. I can't work out what you are asking from what you have posted.
-
I'm not asking what I should do. My mind is already made up. I'm asking what other CC3 users are planning @webman: Never doubted your answer for a second
-
I'm in the process of designing a new network here. We have three DC's so I am planning on setting up a 33/33/33 rule. DC1: x.x.1.1 - 255 DC2: x.x.2.0 - 255 DC3: x.x.3.0 - 255 We would never have more than 500 devices so this way we can lose a server and still have enough in our scope to continue leasing them among the two remaining servers.
-
With M$ announcing recently they will stop shipping XP on new computers, what is everyones (who has a CC3 network) plans? The way I see it is we have two options. We can upgrade to CC4 or move to a Vanilla network. Obviously it's no good being stuck as CC3 when all they ship is Win7 machines. What's your plan?
-
Or maybe he's just gone and stolen the video too
-
People like him should be made to have Tony Blair as their best friend!
-
Due to SP3 just recently being released for CC3 we are still SP2 here. We were going to do it last half-term holidays but the shared tech said he had encountered problems on his primary networks so we put it on hold until Summer. On the to do list for summer. It's good having a shared tech who tests things on his smaller networks before we make the changes to our bigger network.
-
Or even better yet, in the middle of the floor is a trap door that opens on pressure and leads down to a massive bath tub, and he gets stuck in the tub like a spider. And the only way out is down the plug hole, which is really sewage pipes, and he crawls and crawls and crawls. Then he gets to the end and there is a big door, and he opens it and Jack Bauer is stood there ready to take him in. What time is it?!
-
When we were on the old LA email system, yes! I thought this a lot! Since moving to an in-house zimbra box I haven't thought it once since (about the email box) - what I think instead is, oh crud, the internet is down again!
-
I'm trying to download a 180 day eval of S2008R2 but the download manager just throws an error each time. Can anybody point me to an alternative download link that doesn't perhaps use a download manager?
-
Plus it's 1:21AM, not PM!
-
Could the student not just sit at the teachers desk and view the presentation/whatever on their computer? If the teacher needs to change a slide they could use the interactive whiteboard, or a remote to save leaning over the student all the time. Would certainly be easier and cheaper that way, while still meeting the needs for this student.
