-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
I was PAT Test trained a few years back at my previous school. It was brought in as a cost cutting exercise, and I absolutely hated it. We didn't have any time to do it and SMT eventually realised this and hired an external tester again. I only did one lot of testing before it was scrapped, and luckily we didn't have a single item fail. If one had though I think I would have cut the plug off, but maybe not for the right reasons Check your contract and see what it says in there. If you are not down as doing PAT testing I would say this would be negotiable on your pay, as to me it is not 'any other jobs the head asks of you' - it's far too big for an 'any other job'. To me PAT testing is an electrical job rather than an ICT job. People think ICT and electrical work is related but if someone asked me to change a wall socket or rewire a spur I'd tell them to go jump. Likewise, I'd tell them to go jump now if they asked me to do PAT testing (wish I had the sack to do it all those years ago too).
-
Do you automatically (SSO) login at school, or enter your details manually. I would be on the phone to the LEA first and foremost to see if they no of a reason why this could be?
-
Hmmm, could have sworn the PS3 had 'touch sensitive' buttons. Come to think of it, the PS3 is only 'whisper' loud as well. Ah, but the new Xbox has a smaller power supply. Oh wait a second, the PS3 has the power supply built into the system. Wifi? PS3 had that from day 1. Hard-drive? Okay, it kinda wins on that but I could put any 2.5" HDD in my PS3 should I feel the need. Oh, we've got a winner - the new Xbox has FIVE USB ports. That's one to charge each of the five phones every charva has. See, PS3 only has two and I've never found a need for more yet. One to charge my second controller and one to connect a USB pen to watch a video.
-
To add to this, does anyone know if it is possible to take a BBC live stream (BBC One for example), and run it through MMS on a media server. So then, rather than having 30 connections to the same stream, we could pull it down once and then provide a local stream to user thus saving our bandwidth.
-
Bypass Proxy for Addresses
Hightower replied to Hightower's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It's a CC3 network, and the policy is the standard one applied to student users so would assume this would be fine. Will try a new user account with a new GPO though and see how I get on. I'll have a look... -
We've recently received a trial for Symphony Maths (by Lexia I believe). This software needs to get to a couple of addresses to check for updates/logon details etc etc. We're whitelisting students here, so I thought the best way to achieve this was to add the required sites to the 'bypass addresses' part of the GPO. However, this doesn't seem to be applying. I've logged in as a student and tried browsing to the sites I added but they are still blocked. To test (and make sure it wasn't just the sites) I added ebay.co.uk to the list, but this didn't work either. I've tried forcing GPupdate on server/workstation, as well as deleting local profiles etc etc. Any ideas how I can troubleshoot why this isn't being applied?
-
My shares are sorted by a PFA (my brother haha). Basically, he said do you want low/medium/high risk shares, I said high, and he did the rest. They are managed by an account manager which costs no more than £50 per year. The first couple of years I made a loss with the recession, but as advised I put more and more money in, and I got the statement the other month to see I've gained by nearly £2000 in the last 12 months (on an account with £5000 in!). I tried the DIY way before, but was a pain trying to keep up with it. Now a professional does it for me and I don't have to worry. I'd seriously recommend that if you wanted to do this to do it the 'easy' way. Also, may sound obvious, but don't put EVERYTHING you have into shares. They can be seriously high risk and it always pays to have other forms of saving/investment too.
-
Good for you, thanks for sharing.
-
Or maybe the error is in the person that wants to say no
-
So who is to blame? The hooligans that get drunk and fight, or the media for not caring what picture they paint for this country?
-
Apparently SA has been informed that our fans are very jubilant and NOT looking for trouble. It's just the minority that puts our great country to shame, as is always the case.
-
"FLYING HIGH, UP IN THE SKY, WE'LL KEEP THE RED FLAG FLYING HIGH, WHEREVER WE GO, YOUR SURE TO KNOW, WE'LL KEEP THE RED FLAG FLYING HIGH" "ENGLAND" clap clap clap "ENGLAND" clap clap clap
-
My bad - KO is indeed 3pm. Need to get a quicker flyer than I first thought.
-
KO 4pm. I reckon England have a chance, but that may just be me being hopeful.
-
It's here, it's here! The World Cup starts today! Flyer from work, first game 4pm, beers open, tele on, can't wait! But, there has been other threads started by World Cup haters, and this is merely a thread to bring the lovers back together. So answer in the poll, are you looking forward to the World Cup, and post your story here (only if you love it!)
-
I'm addicted to Diet Coke. Can't get enough of it....
-
But this is my 'regular' life. I can't get enough of it, and life for me STARTS when football is on the tele/on the local pitch/on FIFA. “Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”Shanks
-
blocked - is there a youtube alternative?
-
Do we really need products like RM Connect or CSE ?
Hightower replied to Richard_Finnigan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
I know you are saying it, but I'm not feeling it. I love topics like this, as it gives people the chance to see it from another perspective. People slating RM might not be seeing it from the angle it's intended (myself included), and topics like this allow me to have a more open mind about such subjects. Likewise, RM users may not see Vanilla for what it really is because they are looking at it all wrong. I hope discussions like this never die, because without them we'd all live in a communist state! -
No, but surely the first contact in such cases should be made by the customer and not the salesman.
-
Do we really need products like RM Connect or CSE ?
Hightower replied to Richard_Finnigan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
I don't like these comments about 'attracting better IT staff with a Vanilla network'. Yes, some schools use management tools because they don't have enough staff, or skilled staff (and just expect the ICT Co-ordinator to do things). The fact of the matter is a lot of members on this forum use the likes of CC3, but it doesn't mean their skillset is limited because of this. In fact, a lot of people from the 'corporate' side of things that use Vanilla networks are stumbling on this site with solutions to their very problems. And who solved their problem? A lowly CC3 technician who hasn't got a clue. Time some people opened their minds a little I think.... -
Do we really need products like RM Connect or CSE ?
Hightower replied to Richard_Finnigan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Most, if not all, technet articles apply to RM networks still. They are just Vanilla networks with a few extra tools installed, so anything you encounter on a Vanilla network could be encountered on an RM network. So I suppose you have more support with RM because you have technet and the RM knowledge base, where as with a Vanilla network you just have technet (obviously excluding other help sources such as forums etc as they too apply to both types of networks.) -
Ah, my bad. I read that as Rooney to score in both halfs and a 9-1 win to England when I first read it. That's where I was thinking £200/£20 = 10-1 odds (but 9-1 including stake so my bad maths again), and that's when I thought a 9-1 scoreline with Rooney to score twice, I'd want to be picking up at least £10k for a £20 stake! haha.
-
Do we really need products like RM Connect or CSE ?
Hightower replied to Richard_Finnigan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
I suppose the question is, would it be more cost efficient to pay for a tool to help manage the network so your staff can use the additional time to develop tools to better benefit teaching and learning. There's a lot of good folk on here that use the likes of CC3 through choice, because they can then use the additional time to create super websites, addons for Moodle, and other things that will benefit the school. Take webman for instance (sorry webman) - he's a legend, and I'm sure he could easily manage a Vanilla network with a blind fold and arms tied behind his back. The thing is, he's quite handy with a bit of code so he is, so would his time not be better spent creating something that the school could really use (like a flamethrower!) instead of sat doing stuff that RM does automatically. We're CC3 here, but think we will be Vanilla in a year or so. The reason being, we simply can't afford to upgrade to CC4 (which is pretty much required from when M$ pull the XP licencing next year!). At times RM does my wick in, but I must admit I currently have time to do nice things such as research and such. I'm not sure I will be able to say the same when we go Vanilla. -
You got 10-1 odds on a bet like that?! It certainly is a mugs game then!
