Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. I use iGoogle anyway so my homepage is full of junk (but the good junk that I use!)
  2. I think there's a beta copy on one of the rooted roms.
  3. There's a catch - it will require rooting the phone. Something I did last night in a couple of hours. Plenty of good guides out there.
  4. If you are feeling particularly risky why not do the geek thing? Apps2SD allows you save your apps on the sd card thus increasing the amount of apps you can install.
  5. Alright fella. Fella, fella, fella.
  6. I could never tell the difference between Simon and Joe anyways - they sounded exactly the same on the phone..... maybe they were the same guy, but two identities for tax reasons?! Hmmmmmmmm......
  7. I'm bored of this. You folks are all so cynical and predictable. Lighten up a little
  8. Football isn't special though, well at least not by me. I love watching my country at all sports. Football, Rugby, Cricket, Olympics - you name it and if they are wearing an England/GB shirt I'll be sat there watching. I remember the Rugby World Cup years ago when pubs were opening at the crack of dawn so people could go in and watch it. Do you like films? Do you watch your series and things like that?
  9. It's a case of making an actual app, rather than a web page designed for mobile devices. I've looked at SOAP and REST and it looks like I'm to do some extra reading to understand fully....
  10. I can't effing wait for Friday. As a gay TV presenter once 'nearly' said, "bring on the ball!". Will be taking a visit past the heads office later to see if he wants the afternoon England game sorting on the big screen. ENG-ER-LAND! ENG-ER-LAND!
  11. I am starting a new project which is going to be a website based on PHP. I'm quite handy with PHP/MySQL/HTML etc, but need some advice on something completely new to me. The website will grab information from the database and display it in a browser - simples. But once the website is completed I will continue the project by developing an Android app. What is the best way to produce this website so that the same queries etc can easily be ported to Android? I've heard that XML is the way to do this, but I really don't know how/where to start. Can anybody point me in the direction of creating a website that can be easily ported to Android afterwards?
  12. I would have said the guy that works in the morgue.
  13. Well I'm stuck with my G1 until November, so last night thought I'd try to kick start it into life. Backed up everything on it, and rooted it with Cyanogen's v4 image. It does run quicker now, but maybe that's because there's less crap on it. The best feature though (and the reason I rooted it) is now my applications are stored on a 512meg partition on my SD card instead of on the (limited) phone memory. Who knows - my G1 might actually last until November now!
  14. We may be going Vanilla too in the not so near future (fingers crossed). When this gets confirmed I plan to work on a project that takes some of the hit out of the management, and develop something similar to the RMMC. Yes RM, this is the one thing you actually got right!
  15. Hightower

    Dell or HP

    Wow - you're putting ALL your trust in one good support call?! @OP: We have HP and Dell servers here. Both work fine, but Dell was better value for money. Wouldn't buy HP workstations again after a bad experience with a class load of them.
  16. I heard on the news yesterday that the average sick days per year per person has decreased. I haven't had a sick day in years, but I know plenty of people who drop off as soon as they snap a toe nail. My brother works with people high up in the council who in the past year have had about 40% sick time (a married couple who work together).
  17. Either - doesn't matter
  18. All the very best for your venture. Wish I could afford to do something like that, but with a new mortgage and what not I think I may have to wait a few years before I can start living life again!
  19. I've got an old, and slowly outdating G1, so memory is limited for me. Getting to the point now where when I install an app I get a low space message - so I had to remove all the stuff that wasn't 'necessity' such as Dolphin Browser. Now my complete list is: AnySoftKeyboard (soft keyboard as standard one stopped working) Bloo (facebook) CallFilter (block unwanted numbers) DailyStrip (dilbert etc - xkcd doesn't work on it though!) Documents To Go (free version allows read only, but that's enough for me) Facebook Sync (pulls facebook pictures down and stores them for each contact) Handcent SMS (awesome SMS app) Movies (flixter - watch trailers etc) PS3 Trophies (so I can see who is online without turning my PS3 on) Sky News (includes widget which is awesome) The Weather Channel (also includes widget) TjekFootball (live to the minute football scores and stats) UltraMate Diary (so I can log when the neighbours are being noisy) World DroidCup (like TjekFootball but for the world cup specifically) That's quite a lot of apps actually, but that's my phone memory pretty much maxed out!
  20. I'm a squinter though. I squint even when it's cloudy outside. Wearing sunglasses is a necessity for more, rather than a fashion item.
  21. My brother has a HTC Tattoo and he doesn't like it. It's got a rubbish resolution, and for that reason a lot of the applications on the market are not available for the Tattoo. He hates it when I say check out this app, only to find he can't. If you are on a budget why not take a look at a BlackBerry? Virgin seem to have some cracking deals on for about £15 per month.
  22. You paid £120 for a bit of metal and plastic? Gimme £10 and I could knock something similar together in our DT area.
  23. How much did you waste on them then?! I spent £3 on my sunglasses, so if I lose them I can just replace them. I've had them 6 years though, so 50p per year for some sunglasses isn't bad!
  24. I use Ariotek - allows me to pay monthly, and I can cancel with a moments notice (not tied in for a year). Can't remember who I was with before, but I changed across because the price was good, and anything had to be better than the service provided by my previous hosting company. In the couple of years I've been with them I've not had a single problem. Speeds have been as expected, and downtime is not an issue - I think it went offline for the first time last week because they were physically moving their servers to a new datacentre, and of course I was informed of this well in advance. I've needed to use their support a couple of times as 1and1 just didn't want to release my domains for transfer - never had to ring them, and always managed using the online chat support. You'll speak to one of two guys each time, and you can be sure they'll try everything in their power to make the job a good one.
  25. Hightower

    Rep

    I've just received a grey coloured rep block and the image is called rep balance. What does this one mean?
×
×
  • Create New...