-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
2 results now thanks Keep them coming though if you have used it. The more results, the stronger my case to SMT
-
Thanks for the response so far, please please keep the responses coming
-
Just giving this a bump as I could use some info - sorry
-
Health and Safety Implications of using a Laptop with a Broken Screen
Hightower replied to tech_guy's topic in General Chat
My Dads old company gave him a laptop with a dodgy screen. My Dad questioned this and told them it was dangerous (he was H&S manager too). Guess what the Company Directors response was, and I say this with 100% truth and seriousness....... "Just earth yourself when you use it then" Needles to say my Dad hit the roof! -
Why not get it in pink, then you'll be sure it's a mans car?! (I actually saw a heavily tattooed man driving a pink Jazz last night). I've loved the Fords I've had, but I think if I was looking for a coupe I'd quite like the 406 coupe - they look pretty smart.
-
Also, I've only created four options. If you are in between, lets say, completely happy and in the middle try and lean towards one side and select that one. Thanks,
-
Morning folks, A thread appeared a little while back stating the bad experience the user has had with TestingForSchools. As our SMT are looking into this product it gave me some cause for concern, but only two people posted a complaint on that thread so I am here fishing for more information. There's a poll up top - can you select one of the above (anon) and then also if you wish can you post a little information about your experiences with them, whether they were good, bad, or in the middle. I have this meeting at 15:15 today so all information provided before then will be used. Many thanks,
-
Doesn't take much heat to melt a bit plastic though right?
-
Our backups are stored D2D2T which is situated in the same area as the servers. However, we have another NAS box in a different school building that RSYNCS with the NAS box in the server room each night, thus keeping a weeks worth of backups 'offsite'. We also have two tapes which are kept at home (encrypted). One holiday one tape is used, the next holiday the other is used. So at anyone time we have a weeks worth of current backups off-site, a backup from the last hols at home, and a backup from the hols before that at home. It's important (in our eyes) to hold these off-site backups because they wouldn't last two seconds in a fire, even if they were stored in a 'fire-proof' safe.
-
I've spoken to the DT Tech about this and he did one a few years back. Says it's definately a project that can be done DIY with the right comittment. Might try and get my Dad roped in as he is hellish with a drill.
-
Looking to convert my loft. Can anybody tell me how much it will cost (roughly will do) before I seriously look into this. Not wanting a full on conversion, just want as follows: 1) Walls/roof panelled/plastered and ready to paint 2) Couple of spot lights in the ceiling shining down (maybe 4) 3) Couple of double sockets 4) Floor boarded (and reinforced if needed - not sure how this stands) 5) Possible velux window installed depending on how much it would cost 6) No stairs, just a proper loft hatch/ladder (like the adverts you see for £99!) I think that's it. I just want to turn the loft into another living space where I could put a computer desk, a couch, and another TV. Not sure on the exact size of the loft but it's a small 2 bed terraced house. So how much do you think this would cost? I know plasterers/sparkys/general handymen that would help with the work at a mates rate. Is this a project I can take on myself? What kind of return will I see from doing this when we sell the house on? Thanks,
-
I mean when the user clicks the link in the block (already logged into moodle) and then (on my install at least) it asks again for the user/password. Whether you enter a true user/pass here, or a false one it will always show up a blank screen with only the header sections, where as I would have thought it would tell me I had an incorrect user/pass. @penfold_99 Thanks!
-
The funny thing I've found too, is that if I log in with an incorrect user (like a completely fictional one) it still goes to the black screen with headers etc instead of saying incorrect password or something. Is that the same for you @martin1?
-
Sounds exactly like my problems.
-
Making PCs from scratch using OEM Licences????
Hightower replied to Max_Power's topic in Licensing Questions
My guess would be you would need M$ approval to do that. I would imagine M$ have a list of suppliers who can use OEM licences. -
We've had WebWasher (the new solution from DurhamNet) for a few terms now (since Sep 09 I believe). It's better because it does allow control (as we never had control before, it was a case of what's good for the goose) over which sites should be unrestricted etc etc. Shame we can't upload at the minute, which is a WebWasher issue as they put us back onto the old filters and uploads worked. Seems tedious but really is affecting T&L because music students can't upload their work at the minute.
-
We said it since the competition started - Capello said "I will only take/play those playing regularly for their club and only if they are on form", but when the nut came to crunch he played names. He didn't drop Rooney who has had a mare the whole competition. When he eventually brought Joe Cole on yesterday he put him on the right?! And when we needed to chase the game he swapped a striker for a striker - wow, great attacking tactics there Mr Italy, how on earth did you think them up?! Personally, I think a foreigners cap needs to be reintroduced into English football. I think the FA needs a shake up. I think we need fresh legs in a lot of positions. And most of all I think we need an Englishman at the helm, someone like the cockney barrow boy or Roy Hodgson. My two cents has now been thrown in the pot!
-
Well this is my plan to handle the cuts: 1) Buy all house hold goods on my Argos card 2) Pay for shopping with my Asda credit card 3) Pay for diesel on my MasterCard 4) Use mobile phone contracts as an easy way to get 'cashback' 5) Extend my already maxed out loan 6) Sell the wifes gold at 'makemerichquick.com' NOTE: I don't really have that much debt! But on a serious note, how long did the country believe that could get everything on tick, and owe money here and there? I was brought up in the height of the miners strike, and my family literally didn't have two pennies to rub together. My Mam and Dad went through some rough times, but not once did they get into debt - they simply lived within their means. What the hell gave labour the right to tell people they could have what they wanted, when they wanted, without having to worry about the consequences?! I was brought up with "you save for it. if you cant save for it then you cant have it". If I wanted a new car I made sure the money was in the bank, and not spread across 'easy payments'. Personally, I think we were in the eye of the storm with Labour (and I'm from a strongly opinioned labour family). To me it looks like the storm is moving on, even though we have to weather the worst part of it yet.
-
Where you off to?
-
How much will I be paid for this consultancy work?
Hightower replied to creese's topic in General Chat
So they never listen to your suggestions, and you don't want them to listen to your suggestions. Seems like a winner to me. -
How much will I be paid for this consultancy work?
Hightower replied to creese's topic in General Chat
Look at this an another vote then. I can't believe people can complain at this. They are actually giving you an option, a chance to express your thoughts. How would your teachers like it if you implemented every bit of IT without consulting them? No, it's far easier and more beneficial to have an open door policy where teachers can come in and say "we could really use 'x'". -
How much will I be paid for this consultancy work?
Hightower replied to creese's topic in General Chat
Personally I'm sick of hearing people complaining. You have people twisting that the country is in wreck and ruins, and everything is being done wrong, and then in the same breath you have people complaining when the government open up the floor to suggestions. Get on with it. If you don't like it then make a suggestion, otherwise stop moaning. -
Ordered a T-Mobile Pulse last night for the better half. She's needed a newer phone for a while now. She's currently topping up only £10 per month, so needed a contract close to that. £15 per month with T-Mobile gets her the phone for free, 300 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited* internet. From the reviews I've read, the phone plays nice and should do everything that she would require it to do. It seems to be a similar spec to my G1. I'm just amazed I could get an Android phone for so little per month. O2 were wanting £25+ for similar spec Android phones! Personally, I think I've just gotten her one hell of a deal.
