-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
I was watching wedding crashers last night, so if it's that kind of funeral the same applies as if it was a wedding.
-
none. some people suit it closed, but i cant pull it off - always leave it open
-
So, why do I need to disable this to get the software to work? I'm waiting to hear back from the software support. The software in question is a local exe that then pulls it's users etc from a secure site (at their end). When I first installed this software it worked, then went off a couple of weeks ago. Do you think the problem is more related to a certificate at their end? And should I tell them to sort it at their end rather than me possibly opening up a hole?
-
Turns out this wasn't the setting causing me gripe, but I created a custom ADM for this anyway. I've attached it in case anyone needs to roll this preference out (NOTE: Not a policy!). It gives a drop-down with all the possible settings (TLS, SSL2, SSL2, TLS & SLL2 etc etc). Disabling it should return the setting to default. If you import this into your policy, you may not see it until you right-click Administrative Templates under User Configuration, then select View and Filtering and unchecking the Only show policy settings that can be fully managed. Once you do this you will find the setting in User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Advanced Settings. Hope somebody finds this useful.
-
To get some software to work I've had to Disable the GPO option "Check for server certificate revocation" for student users. Can somebody explain what this means and whether disabling it shouldn't open any security holes? Thanks,
-
On a side note, how awesome his that name?! "Hey, Mark Power here", not quote as good as "Hey, Max Power here" but close.
-
[pics] New York Post Has Trouble With Concepts Of Win/Lose/Draw
Hightower replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
I hate the royals but I don't start every argument point with "I hate the royals...." -
Got a banging head and can't get my head around this - will try again in the morning.
-
Will let you know how I get on, once I get rid of this migraine and can see the screen properly!
-
Sorry. TLS 1.0 and SSL 3.0 are already enabled. How do I enable SSL 2.0 (Internet Options) via GPO?
-
In fact Squid isn't the problem - this is the problem (I think): http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2000-2003/58084-enable-ssl1.html#post526956
-
Anyone know how to go about enabling SSL1 via GPO?
-
We have Squid3 installed on a Ubuntu box here, acting as a whitelist filter. It's been working fine for some time now but we have recently been given a trial of some new software. The software installation instructions state that 'x' sites must be unblocked, of which a few are HTTPS. So I add them to the allow filter, and can access the sites from within IE, but when I open the software it can't access the servers. Anybody know how to configure squid to allow this? There was some other software that had the same problem not so long back but they had HTTP access as well as a work around, whereas this software does not so that is not an option. It's definately a problem with Squid because non-squid users can load the software just fine. In contact with software support too, but does anyone here have any ideas?
-
But it is. The lasers you talk of aren't sold to joe public. The very fact that these lasers are easily available and portable makes them the most dangerous laser ever created.
-
When I did my PAT testing course I could have sworn (going from memory so could easily be wrong) that external cables (kettle leads) need testing every year, but machines that have no external cables (as in PC's) only need testing every 4 years in education.
-
How do you control loaned out equipment?
Hightower replied to reggiep's topic in How do you do....it?
We don't do it like this, but if I had say I would run an ICT booking system, then create additional rooms for the equipment (such as ICT1 - ICT5 for the rooms and then CAMCORDER1, CAMCORDER2 etc etc). Then just log it in there as and when it is loaned. You would then have a history (i.e. know who to chase for it back!) and also staff could login and see what is available when at a glance. -
Sounds to me like you may be better off pal. I mean we all make sacrifices for our loved ones (like since buying a house I at least spend 1 night a week with the wife now, hell, I even cooked her tea last night (before nipping out to play squash haha)), but sometimes you gotta see it from the outside to know if you are being taken a lend of. My brothers wife is a b1tch and none of the family like her, although we all try to get on as she is the mother of my brothers children. However, we can see her for what she is yet he cannot. Dan Brown said it a lot in his latest book - "All it takes is a change of perspective to see the truth". Anyhow mate, it's good to hear you are doing well and living life.
-
@LosOjos: I think TCO over a certain period of time would suggest otherwise, 5 years subscription is £150 on the 360.
-
It doesn't sound like permissions with the site, because you are using the same user to login at both locations - so the permissions should be the same wherever you go. I know SharePoint is a bit picky with FireFox so that would have been my first guess. Other than that, I would start looking at the server setup, port openings etc etc.
-
I think boardworks works well here. Most the staff use it. It can be used straight out the box, but a lot of our teachers have modded the slides to suit their lesson plans. That coupled with a slate should work well and get the whole class involved. We also have a set of voting thingy's in tech - they work really well, when the teacher can be bothered to set them up.
-
I didn't say I didn't like it. It's just that it's not up there in my favourite features. The reason being that Blu-ray's are still too expensive for this tight-wad so I never use the blu-ray functionality. I used to pay monthly, so maybe that's why it was a fiver a month for me. Ah, so that'll be an optional extra then that I would have to pay for? Agreed.
-
What browser are you using at home/work?
-
NTFS permissions keep getting lost.
Hightower replied to andyturpie's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Which drives/folders is it losing the permissions on? Is it all servers? We're RM here, and I've never come across anything like this. Anything on the knowledge base? -
Not a fanboi as such. I used to own a 360, but then all my mates got a PS3 so it wasn't much fun playing my 360 online without my mates. I scrapped the 360 and got a PS3 (only cos it was really cheap). I love three things about it (and the BR player isn't one of them!). 1) It upscales my DVD's - sounds simples, but the quality difference is very noticible. 2) I don't have to pay a fiver a month to be able to play online. I don't play much anyways (it's more a glorified DVD player in my house), but wouldn't play at all if it cost me extra each month. 3) I don't have to muck on with rechargable batteries. When my controller runs flat I just plug it in and it charges. Obvious PS3 fan boy - lol. My reaction as an obvious PS3 fan boy is, and I quote: "I couldn't give two ducks". I didn't pay for the last map pack, and I'm not about to pay for any future ones unless they contain naked images of fergie dotted around randomly. As for everything going exclusive for the Xbox - that's great. Maybe one day they'll exclusively release a vuvuzela addon for FIFA to thank their users. Having owned both at some point, I would have to disagree with your 'PS3 games are rubbish'. But as you say, it's all a matter of opinion. Xbox Live is a better service than PS3's equivalent, but it hasn't affected my online gameplay. People complain about lag on the PS3 but this is something I haven't experienced. Would rather have a bit lag than an extra fiver a month out my wallet, but then again I'm not a 'serious' gamer. One thing I will give points to for the 360 is the design of the controller. On long spells the PS3 controller starts to hurt my hands, whereas the bigger 360 controller seems to fit like a glove and makes it so much more comfortable.
