Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. Lifestyles (mainly) improve with income. For instance, when my pops was a miner we ate the parts of the animal that were normally left. Now, he eats pretty good, and has even moved from shopping at Asda to shopping as Sainsbury's (upper class supermarket lol). Likewise, he now runs a 51 plate car instead of having to worry about whether his 20 year old Nissan Blackbird will start on a cold winters morning. I agree that there may be a cut off when more money means nothing (I don't know, I'm not at that point yet) but for the majority of us here, who (I'm assuming) are on 'average' wages money does mean a lot. Do I like my lot? Sure, on the main. Would I jump ship to improve my lot? Sure, why should I hang around watching people improve their lifestyles while mine remains unchanged. I too have aspirations for a bigger house, a bigger car, and a family. If the school can't fulfill those aspirations then it's bye bye Mr Hightower.
  2. I'm not too sure to be honest. I guess it's just for the learning curve, and I would feel better having written the whole thing myself (for the sake of learning).
  3. Thanks - CI is the framework I've become most used to too, but I was hoping to avoid a framework for this project. Have you completed anything in a REST-ful sort of way webman?
  4. I'm in the process of designing a new web site. This will most likely be written in PHP/HTML/Java, using MySQL as a data store. Once the website is completed, I want to transfer the site to a droid app (among other things) and it seems the only (from what I can see) way to do this is by making a REST-ful site. I don't want to create the site until I know exactly what I need. I understand the REST concept (I think), but I can't see any tutorials on how to create a REST-ful site in PHP etc etc Can anybody help me out, or perhaps suggest another way to allow droid apps to retrieve data from a MySQL database?
  5. Grass is quite frequently greener otherwise we'd all never move on
  6. I'd take the money all day. I don't work in a school for the kids, but because I work in a school I'm here for the kids. If someone came along and said we'll double your salary, I'd ditch the kids in a flash. I'll only be loyal to the school for as long as they are loyal to me.
  7. Fair point. I wasn't trying to put a dampner on the 'good news' the OP had received. Just trying to explain that if it was me I'd still be pretty miffed, probably more miffed than before. But yes, I did pull the rug rather quickly.
  8. But how appreciated is he/she exactly? As Broc says - words are cheap. "I love you little-miss", easy as pie but doesn't mean jack all to you now does it?
  9. Yeah - that'd make me stick around..... not! I'd be fuming if my head said "you are valuable and we don't want you to leave. money? extra? don't think so mate" Sounds like salt in the wound to me, a bit like "you are valuable to us, but not enough to earn more". I'd still be looking elsewhere
  10. Have you got another laptop of same model? If so, I would try all the components on that one (i.e. HDD, memory, etc etc), and if all those work in the 'good' laptop then it looks like something has shorted on the motherboard. If this is the case then you'll need a new board to get it working, which may be tricky for a laptop. It's a tricky one to diagnose fully as if it won't even turn on then you can't run a PC checking software solution on it. We had an A300 fail in the same way some months back. Didn't even waste the time diagnosing it, and instead chucked it in the drawer for spares. To be honest, it's been more use that way as we've already had the screen, HDD, keyboard, and memory salvaged for other A300's we had.
  11. Should only take a few minutes to whip one out after the bell - good luck!
  12. Have you more than one of these? If so, the obvious thing would be pull the PSU from another board and test it on the 'faulty' board. You'll know then whether it's your board or the PSU that's the problem.
  13. To me it sounds like "Here's my car. It's a nice car. It runs well on the road. Now, how can I make it run on water also, like a boat"
  14. The comments say it's a fake, and I kind of agree.
  15. Doesn't answer the age question. Can you pull the battery out all together and just run it using the AC adapter? If water was near it, and the laptop was turned on at the time I'm guessing something has fried on the board. Not going to be the cheapest/easiest to fix IMO.
  16. I thought a service had to be provided for by the manufacturer when a new lamp is ordered. I'm not sure on this as I don't handle this sort of stuff, but I'm sure I've seen "telephone this number to dispose of your old lamp" on the side of the box of the new lamp.
  17. Struggling with it I believe. We have hard copies of all these sorts of things, pinned to our cork board in the office.
  18. @lasercat - sorry for not getting back to you. I emailed the Assistant Head but it was late on Friday so he probably went home. If it's not too late I will see him tomorrow and let you know whether we want it or not. Thanks,
  19. We've got a game Sunday too - I plan to stop drinking long enough to play it, and then head back on the drink. Hell, I play in goal - I could even drink whilst playing lol!
  20. I've emailed the assistant head to see if we can pick this up. I will let you know. What size transport will it take (i.e. a Vectra with the seats dropped?)
  21. Tonight, heading to the Metro Centre and will probably watch a film. Tomorrow, the missus is going on a hen do so it's a 5 minute drive to my home town and drinking until Sunday night.
  22. Well look at the place son. I wouldn't let pond-life live in that mess. I'll be checking next week, and if it's not any better then your pocket money will be stopped. Is that understood?
  23. I reckon you need to tidy up a bit.....
  24. I tried app inventor, and the lack of features pushed me to start writing apps by hand - love Android, and coding for it is sooo fun!
  25. Cheers - I was given an offer to be a model once.... oh, you mean the baby! My bad!
×
×
  • Create New...