-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
Webserver compatibility question
powdarrmonkey replied to SussexChris's topic in EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
I bet it's "for security reasons" (translation: arbitrary decision because someone on the internetz told us to). -
That's really useless if your range happens to collide with the range used at home (and yes, it does collide with mine, partly because you've used the entire RFC1918 Class B range). The best option is automatic proxy detection and DHCP option 252 or true DNS-based WPAD.
-
IME (and I used to work for a very large web host) almost all serious providers class mail from dynamic IPs as spam, valid DNS or no valid DNS. You can go through a relay with mixed success though.
-
You were told wrong.
-
School Network\Systems Manager - Cambridge
powdarrmonkey replied to Dos_Box's topic in Educational IT Jobs
Job desc, application and spec are all 404. -
We did this last year and yes, they were. In fact, we weighed them so accurately we knew if a corner had been torn off one of the vouchers in the pile.
-
EduGeek Conf 2010- 2nd June, Chorley
powdarrmonkey replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
So, it's under six weeks to the conference and I still need to justify it to the powers that be (like, really soon) but I still don't know who's speaking about what or how to register. Are there any details available yet? Seriously, I have open conference management software available and I'm more than happy to take a lead in getting registration underway, but you have to sanction it first - I don't want to feel I'm taking over. If it's just that you're short of time, we can fix that... -
Hire a programmer? Seriously, if your form is accessible to the public, it will be attacked sooner or later, and you need it written in a way that can deflect malicious submissions.
-
Mock election by any chance? We're doing the same thing, and I'm using Limesurvey. It's slightly less than simple, but very flexible - it will do one-vote-only ballots, email invitations/reminders/confirmations, truly anonymous voting and works out the results straight away (including with a graph), which were all killer features for me. Of course, being FOSS, it also appeals to my ideology, but that's just me.
-
LGFL synetrix web filtering
powdarrmonkey replied to lionsl2005's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Note - this is for Etch, the previous stable version. In Lenny the samba and winbind things changed a little, you may find there are differences in the configurations. -
Nagios 3 Ubuntu 9.10 HP Switch SNMP Check Failure
powdarrmonkey replied to soapyfish's topic in *nix
In the Ubuntu package, it's /etc/nagios-plugins/config/snmp*.cfg. If you don't see that directory, you haven't installed the nagios-plugins package. -
Sync Active Directory and Open Directory Users/Passwords
powdarrmonkey replied to NotVeryPC's topic in Mac
You could look at Active Directory Federation Services if you want, but I don't know if there are pre-prepared scripts for OD. -
That's unfortunately unavoidable in some cases - budget constraints, pressure from above and so on. BSF contractors should have the resources available to do this, however.
-
I really hope you mean 'tough'...!
-
This just demonstrates a) how wide a range of height there is across the whole plume and b) how much hearsay is a load of rubbish.
-
Personally - IRC, Facebook, email, mailing lists, forums and instant messenging; for work: just email and SMSs to parents. edit: oh, predominantly: forums and email respectively.
-
At higher altitudes the air is thinner and planes must go faster to maintain their orbital momentum, otherwise the engines stall, and at lower altitudes - if what I've heard is true, the lower safe bound is about 5,000ft, which causes problems with noise (remember it's a jet engine) and gives the pilot much less room for manoeuvre if a problem does occur.
-
In what context - professional, social, both...?
-
{Prize Draw} Computer Products Ltd "Dell Laptop Prize Draw"
powdarrmonkey replied to Haptic's topic in Our Advertisers
IANAL and I hate to be awkward... but is this a non-free, non-skill competition? -
Resize .PNG (filesize) but keep dimensions
powdarrmonkey replied to RabbieBurns's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Maximise the number of sharp transitions between colour edges and minimise the number of colour details used (solidify the background colour, for example). Disable Adam-7 interlacing if it is being used. The compression technique is discussed in detail on Wikipedia: Portable Network Graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
We use some middleware from Burconix.
-
Yes, it's called Cached Credentials. Machines must be returned to the domain periodically though. For this you need folder synchronisation (Offline Files). In Vista and 7 this is quite sensible but you need to monitor it carefully; in XP you should abandon all hope now.
-
You don't understand what a hash algorithm is.
-
Replacing teacher laptops with iPad devices (or similar)
powdarrmonkey replied to localzuk's topic in Blue Skies
If your school are happy for you to do so, would you consider publishing the results of your research? -
I don't believe you can. Set your synchronisation time to the middle of the night or over the weekend when it doesn't matter if the connection is saturated anyway.
- 4 replies
-
- active directory
- windows 2003 server
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
