-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
Internet Hosting
powdarrmonkey replied to InvisibleIntellectual's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I don't use a control panel at all... (I also colo my own box, so I suppose I don't really fit your target profile in the first place of course ) -
Of course, any library graphics you use will be appropriately licensed, right?
-
Oh sorry, I saw "2008" and leapt to the keyboard
-
Guess you need to script the Exchange Powershell?
-
Server 2003 - Seperate severs for Apache, MySql & PHP
powdarrmonkey replied to danIT's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Should you? If it's not going to be (very) heavily loaded, keeping them together is perfectly fine. -
See Reverse proxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for the broad principles and mod_proxy - Apache HTTP Server for the Apache module that implements it.
-
They're not coming anywhere near until this is fixed: iPad/iPhone OS 3.2 Stops Renewing DHCP Lease, Keeps Using IP Address
-
You know when you have played a game too much when....
powdarrmonkey replied to moobsuk's topic in Gaming
You know you live on Edugeek too much when you walk in, drop the shopping, and go straight to 'New Posts' -
Netsupport can, but only when you tell it to - it can't put on notices and such. Junglebyte can't even do the former, grr. We bung it on the intranet, which is the mandatory homepage and the one place we can guarantee students open regularly...
-
(I'm sure there was an edugeek "stuff" forum once, maybe I imagined it) Just noticed Edutech's badge has changed - probably a while ago, that's how awake I've been lately... but: news, announcement, falsehood...?
-
wasn't that my point?
-
Leaving the documents around is faster, helps a lot with debugging, and provides some limited evidence acquirement for purposes in the future. That said, it is mostly plain laziness IMO, and at the very least the leasing companies should be checking that machines are clean before sending them on to somewhere else. On the part of the manufacturers, $500 for a 'wiping and encryption unit' is just profiteering. Where did Windows come into it? And cipher can only operate on NTFS drives, which photocopiers are unlikely to be using.
-
Some people work very hard for a good reputation (and vice versa) and they deserve to have it reflected. Admins themselves have said they don't have time to review every post, so the two concerns I have are: - recognising good and poor posts and showing some indicator of them, for everyone to see; - having a more granular system than just a few badges, which show very blocky statuses; - insulating reputation against favouritism and, hypothetically, corruption. The present rep system addresses these concerns very effectively. edit: that's three concerns, I acknowledge
-
and more worryingly, rep is decided by the community at large, whereas badge rank is decided by mods/admins alone.
-
Once, twice, three times a lady, depends how paranoid you are. The point is, a plain format just wipes the file allocation tables, it does nothing to stop recovery of the data on the disk.
-
Unfortunately a plain format does nothing to protect the data on that disk; you need to properly overwrite every sector at least a couple of times to be sure.
-
In this case, I'd say it was necessary to carry out the task in an efficient and timely manner, while other mechanisms ensure its confidentiality.
-
I'd do it with Apache as a reverse proxy, but that's mostly just preference.
-
StudyWiz looks like they're gone so where to next?
powdarrmonkey replied to HodgeHi's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
To clarify, ours is also hosted internally but it does certain things overnight - like pull a dictionary from a server in Melbourne, which is what failed last week and had us totally helpless the next day. That's what makes me more nervous than anything else, licensing is also done like this and we don't know what else is should all the infrastructure just be switched off one day. -
StudyWiz looks like they're gone so where to next?
powdarrmonkey replied to HodgeHi's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Tricky one. There was a management buy-out a while ago, but I haven't heard anything about it since. However, we put in a support ticket last week when it died completely, through the usual channels, and it was fixed prompty(ish). What concerns me most is that we're paid up for the next three years, but licensing is administered remotely so if Etech go away completely our deployment might just stop working overnight. We'd have absolutely no way of getting our resources and structure back out of it and into something else if that happened. I'm more concerned than my boss I think, who has recommended we just sit tight and see for now. Unfortunately this is an unlikely scenario, at least for now. Studywiz is their only real cash-cow; there's no advantage to opening it up as it stands now - if the majority of their income was through support, not licenses, it would be a different matter. If the company will be broken up or sold off, they need to retain the software as a saleable asset. I'd love to adopt it if the source was ever opened, but I don't speak any Java. I'd happily be involved with infrastructure and governance though.
