-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
ADMX files for Server 2008 onwards
powdarrmonkey replied to cromertech's topic in EduGeek Shutdownertron
Thanks, this is great! Please email your details to [email protected] and I will make sure you are included in the credits of the next release, which these templates (or an updated version of them) will be included in. Please specifically state that I may redistribute them.- 1 reply
-
- admx
- server 2008
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
'And' and 'Or' are normal words in everyday conversation, their concept is common knowledge*. Learning the truth tables, however, is like learning your times tables - you have to do it by rote, and it's really boring, but at the end of it you can glance at a sum and know what the result is going to be. Logic tables are the same and just as important. * of course, XOR is an exception and hurts a lot of people when they first encounter it, and this does need explaining in more detail than the other two.
-
Actually the rules are called a "Code of Practice", and the potential risk of a plug depends on the state of repair of the appliance, not what it is. edit: oh, actually, the electrical potential of a consumer plug in the UK doesn't vary at all, it's always 240V. That's probably not what you meant though.
-
Appliance testing is common because it's the quickest and most economical way to demonstrate that you took reasonable care to ensure the safety of your equipment, which is what the law requires. No - it depends on your insurer and your specific policy, and you should ask them. (Of course if somebody is killed and you (the school) are found to be negligent, no insurance policy will save you).
-
Anyone who reads that book expecting it to be easy shouldn't be learning programming IMHO. Wasn't the title enough of a clue?
-
Shutdownertron's a Windows service but it's packaged in a sensible MSI, so you can deploy it in your normal way. Configuration is through group policy for maximum flexibility.
-
Open MSSQL to the internet or implement a web service on the SQL server
powdarrmonkey replied to localzuk's topic in Coding
I'm surprised you have to ask - a web service is nearly always safer, because it's controllable and it can keep detailed logs. -
It is written into the terms of the warranty as stated at the time you took it out (i.e. bought the item). Your original paperwork will tell you this.
-
Windows 7 Features: Backup and Restore
-
Best Mobile Phone Coverage in the Midlands / Warwickshire?
powdarrmonkey replied to tech_guy's topic in General Chat
Alcester and T-Mobile are a total no-go - I used Virgin (t-mobile back-end) for ages and had no end of trouble. O2 seems pretty OK though, and Orange is reasonable but patchy. -
Of course you could have one 24" monitor, a dual head graphics card, and a KVM switch... that could be interesting.
-
I will always prefer 2x 4:3 ratio monitors, I find them much more flexible than just having one big area (and I loathe widescreen).
-
It depends on which 3.5 package you install. Sorry, should have made that clearer.
-
They're not interchangeable, if it requires 2.0 you need to install 2.0. You can extract the MSIs from the mass thingybob, but I think you need the redistributable package for that.
-
We attached one to the wall and I wrote some rudimentary booking software for checking our stock of cameras in and out.
-
Regardless of actual limit, every applied GPO incurs some overhead, and on low-power machines it becomes noticeable at about seven or eight objects IME, so combining them where you can is wise. You need to find a balance between administrative flexibility and overhead.
-
I've just had a server blow up on me. The Antec PSU (SP2-400SXRP) is located at the front of the case, with the power inlet and connectors both on the inside face. The power lead enters the back of the case, runs the full length and plugs into the PSU (photo available if this isn't making sense). However, I can't find an equivalent replacement for love or money - any ideas? TIA.
-
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule
-
[joke] How To Tell The Gender Of A Fly.. [SAFE]
powdarrmonkey replied to ZeroHour's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Yeh unfortunately that's such a common masking that it trips it even more heavily, since you (user) can't even argue to the filter that it's educational any more. Oh well. -
[joke] How To Tell The Gender Of A Fly.. [SAFE]
powdarrmonkey replied to ZeroHour's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
This thread trips my content filter. -
They look suspiciously like Acer part numbers...
-
With my severely biased hat on, of course I'd recommend Debian. But if you don't use a Linux system by habit, I would tentatively suggest Ubuntu - it does sacrifice some principles, but it's much easier for a beginner (and of course it's important to remember your GF here too). I've heard good things about Ubuntu Studio, though I don't know if it will be updated for the next release. Which, incidentally, is due in a few days time so I would sit tight until then - that's unless you detest its new interface layout, which you should investigate before being surprised. Additional information. This is a Good Plan ™.
-
[closed] bug/error: Last visit time incorrect
powdarrmonkey replied to powdarrmonkey's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
It seems much better behaved since 4.03 - thanks On a related note, iSpy used to not update the last visit time if it was left ticking for a long period, so New Posts still showed up a lot. It seems to be updating it regularly now, which is less useful. Can you change that? -
Nobody mentioned reducing any limits, just enforcing the limits that are already decided (however democratically you think this happens).
-
EduGeek Conf 2010- 2nd June, Chorley
powdarrmonkey replied to Dos_Box's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
So, it's under six weeks to the conference and I still need to justify it to the powers that be (like, really soon) but I still don't know who's speaking about what or how to register. Are there any details available yet? Seriously, I have open conference management software available and I'm more than happy to take a lead in getting registration underway, but you have to sanction it first - I don't want to feel I'm taking over. If it's just that you're short of time, we can fix that...
