Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. [citation needed]
  2. That too.
  3. I can't edit it Any mods around?
  4. Or taken to Unofficial Chat, where we're following the developments closely. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/53834-edugeek-emergency-chat.html
  5. I was talking about this yesterday, you beat me to it. I'd like to be able to ignore individual threads as well as whole forums, and it to apply to iSpy as well as everywhere else (since there where most of my lurking takes place). The option to ignore a member is practically useless.
  6. Knowing which MIS you want this from would be a helpful start...
  7. (disclaimer: not legal or financial advice) This seems sensible and was the recommendation to me recently. If you want some proper advice in place of Edugeek Hearsay™ I will put you in touch with a small business/sole trader specialist.
  8. WTF? I think you have got confused in Business Studies 101. In limited liability, you only stand to lose the money you have invested, you can't be pursued for debts the company owes out of your own pocket. However, companies are more complex to start and run properly. Of course if you're a complete muppet you could be pursued in court for other offences, but not just debts.
  9. Those are pretty bold claims. Would you speak to the Edugeek Conference about your offering and how it works, and why it's better?
  10. UTC vs. Local time. You can change it in your profile.
  11. Clearly not, since I am they, but... ...my emphasis.
  12. Read it again yourself and you'll see how ambiguous your post was.
  13. I really hate to rain on your parade but... single-clicking the drive label in explorer and typing your name is difficult and unsafe? Are you for real?
  14. Hmm, tricky one. I spend my entire life trying to teach users not to run something they don't trust, and that unfamiliar .exes fall headlong into that category :s edit: I like the concept though. however, 260KB in compiled form? that's huge! :boggle:
  15. Well, they've been busy telling us about how Facility/ePortal is going to be all Silverlight and awesomesauce, so I guess they wouldn't bother if they weren't going to sell it to us.
  16. Passwords changed after you enable it will enforce requirements, that is all. Make sure SMT are unanimously behind you, and give your staff one months notice and a one-week reminder that you're going to enable it. Make sure you explain to them exactly what the requirements will be and why they are being imposed. Give some examples of how to construct good passwords and take the opportunity to remind them about good password habits (not writing them down, not just changing a number to make a new one, etc). Do all of this in writing so that if there is a backlash (and there will be) you can't be accused of doing it on the sly, and you can point to SMT and ask the complainant to take it up with them. Force the change in batches (ten a day or so) so that it's manageable. If you're going to have a maximum password age, set this before doing any forced changes so that staff don't have to change their password twice in a short time. Stock up with coffee, prepare to be unpopular for a while and click that button
  17. You can view the page at http://www.edugeek.net/content.php?r=137-Conference-Co-ordination
  18. You know, I wouldn't mind even just "It's still being finalised but could be $speakers, I will confirm it in $days", but Dos_Box, you've persistently ignored such requests lately and it's hacking me off. Mind you, a month-old unrelated thread in 'Message the Admins' hasn't yet the courtesy of a response either, so maybe it's really me that's being ignored? Anyway, it does not make me a) impressed b) happy c) want to come to the conference (and I would like to really, but I can't justify a working day being spent on a jolly to something that might be pointless). Ok, my grumble is over
  19. Note, this table doesn't allow for local sysadmins making changes to the defaults.
  20. This is incorrect (which you've probably gathered, but for the sake of casual surfers).
  21. Just uninstall the Workspace Explorer and related packages from the workstations in the control panel, and from the server in the same way.
  22. I still don't know what the timetable is, who is speaking or what the arrangements are despite saying this several times. Please, post it somewhere so I have a case to present to my boss?
  23. Wait, this isn't Farcebook? I've been labouring under an illusion for three years!
  24. No, it's just that the default TTL value for reply packets on that box is different to others that you've sampled. Valid values for TTL are 1 through 255. On a Windows box the echo request packet can be changed (see the documentation, http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ping.mspx?mfr=true), but this does not affect the reply packet's TTL. To change that you need to change the default value on the remote box. It's not going to be TTL troubles, unless you know that packets are going missing. Since you don't have a router boundary to deal with, your TTLs aren't being decremented anyway, so this is an unrelated problem.
  25. sudo apt-get clean; sudo apt-get autoclean first.
×
×
  • Create New...