Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

smithson83

Members
  • Posts

    641
  • Joined

Everything posted by smithson83

  1. +1 for NTFS But I'd hide the folder for good measure, or even create a specific share for it outside any other current structure that is only mapped by IT admins.
  2. You'll need to connect the Admin server to both networks, and setup a trust between the two... Not sure on the specifics, not done it for a while...
  3. I came across a similar, if not the same thread, looks very familiar. Which is why I ran a few tests first. I think as long as the Replicas are not complicated affairs (MIS, DC, anything time dependent etc) you should be OK, but you have extra steps, once you have your restored replica, you have to treat it as such. Go through to same steps as you would if you just lost your primary vm; fail over, start it up, let it settle down, then reverse the replication back to the primary host etc. this is where a DC may fall down because of the time discrepancy and data difference etc, but then, I don't replicate my MIS or DC's, I pay for a separate ofsite backup of MIS and I just have multiple DC's (eg one on the backup host that is backed up live) **EDIT** Just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it wont work, just means your on your own if it dosent. The VM's that I backup as replicas (that aren't backed up elsewhere) are simple setups, ones that if I HAD to I could rebuild quite easily.
  4. One tries ones best...
  5. Something like this maybe? Take the audio out before it gets to the projector and pipe to your amp? ***EDIT*** Just as an example, I can't attest to how good they are, just found it, the Idea should be sound though (see what I did there, )
  6. I've been using Macrium Reflect to image windows 8.x, has been quite successful. After installing it on A.N.machine you can create a boot CD/USB etc and use as normal, just sysprep the reference machine and have at it.
  7. That was exactly my response when I discovered it, but at the time, you couldn't turn it off. I was told it was due to the Virtual Cell nature of the WLAN. It would be interesting to know if they went away from that approach, as I was told it wasn't a possibility by Meru themselves.
  8. If that is STILL the case and you can't turn it off, I'd personally stay clear [someone correct me if I'm wrong], say you have 10 AP's connected at 1Gbps to your core, each AP has 10 clients on it that's 100 clients suddenly dropping from 100Mbps throughput to 10Mbps (providing your getting a full 1Gbps up and down from the controller). and if you had 30 clients they are dropping from 33Mbps to 3Mbps. I know the math is rudimentary and load balancing across multiple AP's would take out some of that, but the whole premise just seems ridiculous to me.
  9. I moved from Meru to Ruckus a few years back during a School Rebuild. We had nothing but trouble with the Meru, I found the management setup very complicated and just couldn't get our Toshiba L500's (realtek WLAN Cards) to sit happily on it. Turns out it was a conflict with the Card and Meru at the time, but it really put me off. Ruckus on the other hand has been rock solid, easy to set up and manage, fewer AP's and have the option to turn on or off tunnelling mode (sending all wireless traffic through the controller), which at the time you couldn't turn off on the Meru. I don't know about you, but I wanted my traffic to go straight where it was intended, not forced down a single 1Gbps connection and backup to get to the server, then back down and up again to the client. if everything else worked fine, this would still of put me off... something to check We currently have a RADIUS authenticated WLAN for the main school laptops (everything run from AD, GP, RADIUS etc), and separate isolated WLANs for Teacher iPads, School Tablets, Staff BYOD (auth via AD) and a Guest WLAN that pipes straight out to the Internet. Nice and easy to setup, just works...
  10. That's a tricky one, there's definitely a catch 22 situation there. I use Meraki MDM and Ruckus WiFi, not sure there is a reliable way of doing that. You can certainly add wireless setting in meraki and use whatever security methods you want to auth on the wireless, but if your not rolling out the iPads (eg BYOD) and setup the MDM profile from eg apple config, and set it to not be able to be removed...etc etc You cant get on the wireless to access the MDM to set the restrictions. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... My heads spinning a bit now
  11. Not exactly the same but; We have two Hyper-V Hosts, half the VM's on each, replicating to the other. I backup from Host1 to a NAS at other side of building and to Removable USB-HDD's, so the back up sets contain half live data, and half replicated data. I have tested restoring a Backed up replica VM and seem to remember little to no problems it starting up and running. **EDIT** At the time the replica's were not DC, SQL etc or similar, not sure how they would behave being restored from a replica **EDIT2** The only regular "issue" if you want to call it that, is that when your backing up the Hyper-V host, the VM's going into a "Backing Up" state and you can't make any changes to them, now where as the VM's running on the Host that is being backed up are aware of this the ones replicating to that Host are not, and just see that they can't replicate and mark it as an error. depending on how long it takes to back up all the VM's this will either do nothing, cause a "Warning" state in the replicated VM's or send them in to a "Critical" state, at which point they will stop replicating, until you tell them to re-sync.
  12. Something like this LAP 13A 2-Gang Switched Socket & USB Charger Port Brushed Steel?
  13. Don't do polite, tell 'em straight (kinda nicely), mollycoddle 'em and they won't learn
  14. Although the £2k may seem expensive, nearly half of that is the controller, and when (if) you get the new building, if you went with the Ruckus (of any iteration), one you have the controller and a few ap's, when you want/need to expand, just get a licence for more AP's, throw them up, and let it rip. If you want to test something for the new building, this is your baby
  15. Primary: 410 Pupils 75 Staff, ~300 PC's, Laptops, Tablets etc There is Me, Myself and I, great for intra-department discussions, although arguments still break out...
  16. smithson83

    Rack cooling

    That budget is going to be very limiting. The setup of the rack will help dramatically, if you can't cool the entire room sufficiently with a proper AC then that extractor idea will be your best hope, together with a cheap portable AC unit near the window. Make sure you have the hot air only going out the TopOfRack, making sure to close off any gaps in the front of the rack using blanking plates so hot air cannot get back into the room(is the back of the rack closed off), that way the cheap underpowered portable AC unit from argos will only have to chill the ambient air and not the hot exhaust air from the rack. You might be able to get it down to just above 20-25'c on a warm day
  17. as an addendum, if these are going to be close together, you may get away with a few less, we have 12 AP's for overkillness, but even then, most of the school is one ap for every other classroom. The ap's are rated to run 100 clients each (not sure I'd like to test that though).
  18. We don't have a support agreement, never needed it. Maybe that's why its so high, because few people pay for it??? Just guessing. We have the ZoneDirector 1100 with 12x zf7363 APs, looking on LinITX.com it would roughly come to around £2k ex vat Controller LinITX.com - Ruckus ZoneDirector Controller 1106 with 6AP licence AP LinITX.com - Ruckus ZoneFlex 7363 802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4GHz 5GHz Access Point
  19. I would have to recommend Ruckus, can't fault them, we had it installed a few years back in our new building and it hasn't missed a beat, it just works. Incidentally I se you listed Meru as an option, IMO you couldn't go with a worse option, I had a meru setup in our old building, and had no end of issues with it. I'm sure they are great for offices etc but for the numbers involved in Edu it just couldn't cope. Our Ruckus install was cheaper, with fewer AP's simpler to manage, faster and as I said, since day One it has just worked. I know of a few others having issues with Meru also for similar reasons. the way they work ona virtual cell seems to cause a lot of collisions when you get 30+ laptops in close quarters, which seems to be what your going to be doing with the iPads
  20. OK, this is starting to drive me crazy... We have a redirected startmenu for Staff which adds "School Software" to the All Programs list. When applied it removes the File Explorer Pinned Icon from the task bar. In Win7 (and up until now) this hasn't been much of an issue as staff can go to the start menu click on either Documents or Computer and get to where they need to go. Now on to Win8, it removes the Pinned Icon, and any reference to File Explorer or Computer entirely, with the only way round it being to open a run prompt and type C:\ or similar and pin it back to the taskbar that way. I obviously cannot expect all staff members to do this. Any Ideas????
  21. Most of our kids call everyone "Miss", including me and most of the other male members of staff. Doesn't bother me...
  22. Q1 - I try and keep it to a single role per VM; DC(AD,DNS,DHCP etc)x2, File, App, Print, MIS, Web, Prxy, etc split over two hosts Q2 - Other than updates done in hols, i have the server manager open on a second monitor but rarely touch it.
  23. Has anyone got any further on this? I'm just getting round to sorting a GP out for out kids laptops, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to stop the darlings from turning off the wireless -I have managed to disable the Top/Bottom right corners(albeit manually via Clasic Shell, still testing), but can still Win+C to get to the charms and power off the wireless. -I can't seems to script it back on (as it's not disabled, just not connected) Or even better, has anyone managed to remove "Settings" from the Charm Bar?
  24. OT: Nice Pratchett reference, very few a far between
×
×
  • Create New...