Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

siuko

Members
  • Posts

    787
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by siuko

  1. Italc can logon all machines given a specific username and password. It can also execute commands that can run programs - so if setup correctly could run the exam software
  2. I know this is bringing up a long dead thread... but OMG THAT IS ONE USEFUL TIP!! Just helped me alot!! Thaaaaaaanks!
  3. The ending was well filmed and nicely sentimental.... BUT IT WAS A COMPLETE LETDOWN FOR ME
  4. Veggie Linconshire suasages, mature cheese and mayo!!! Ultra Scrummy!!
  5. Educational Headphones : Wired Headphones : Maplin These are the ones that have lasted us the longest... they have been going a few years now with only a few broken....
  6. Ban the websites.... and feel happy knowing your are a BOFH Its the only fun we get
  7. We have an OU with the staff computers in Edit the Policy for that OU then go to: Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Polices > User Rights Assignments > Deny Log on locally And add the domain group you want to deny
  8. I'd be very interested to know too... I've used OCUk for years and dont like the sound of this... "if its true"
  9. ooooOOOO very spangley!! I feel like I'm part of star fleet now
  10. doh!! was interested in this as its near me.... until I noticed which I dont have.... oh well
  11. Brilliant thanks! The 36Gb should be plenty then... and probably faster than the SATA drive
  12. Hi, I am looking at implementing Papercut NG site wide to control printing for students and staff. I have an oldish sempron 2200 server with 1Gb of ram. It has a 36gb SCSI hard drive installed. Will this be enough space for Papercut? I can also add an 80gb or 160Gb SATA hd to it if it will help? Any thoughts anyone?
  13. Yep it will only be running Sims (well initially unless it is using very little resources we might add other things on). It was going to be an admin DC and sims server (the one that it was going to replace does these jobs) but due to having to switch to Server 2003/2008 (we run Windows 2000 at the moment! ) and the fact that we go through BSF for Sept 2012 it is easier to just add a new server for Sims.
  14. Is it recommended not to go with Server 2008 R2 then? What is recommended for 64 Bit OS?
  15. Dell website has it at £2300.... awaiting supplier quotes at the moment We backup to LTO2 tape every few days and the sims database is scheduled to backup to a harddrive each night
  16. Hi All, Just looking at specing a new server to run Sims on. I am planning on running Windows 2008 64 Bit + Full SQL 2008 on it. It will only be running sims and wont need to do any other work. I am looking at the spec below from Dell. Base:PowerEdge T310 Tower Chassis for Up to 4x 3.5" Hot Plug HDDs with LCD Diagnostics Processor:Intel&® Xeon&® X3460, 2.8Ghz, 8MB Cache, Turbo, HT Memory:12GB Memory, DDR3, 1333MHz (6x2GB Dual Ranked RDIMMs) Raid Connectivity:C23 Hot-Swap - RAID 1/RAID 1 for SAS6/iR/PERC6i/H200/H700, 2 Primary + 2 Add. SAS/SATA Hot Plug HDDs 1st RAID or SCSI Controller Card:SAS 6/iR Internal Controller for Hot Plug HD Configuration 1st Hard Drive [MQ]:146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive (Hot Plug) x 2 2nd Hard Drive [MQ]:146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Additional Hard Drive (Hot Plug) x 2 Power Supply:Redundant Power Supply (2 PSU) 400W Optical Devices:16X DVD+/-RW Drive with SATA Cable for Win2K8 R2 Do people think this will be sufficient? (The school has 1200 students and about 80-90 simultaneous sims users) Any obvious changes people would make? Also if any suppliers are about can any quote me for such a spec? Ta!
  17. The DDR2 memory will not effect your DDR3 GPU memory in any way.... so thats a good start. I havent really got any specific help with reference to the GPU but as always with photoshop - large amounts of ram are great for it! And as you are running 64bit maybe think of bumping up to 8gb+ if you can afford it. Your other speed increase would come from possibly getting 2 hard drives and raiding them to provide better load speeds if she is using MASSIVE picture files etc. (Maybe even go with a 3rd harddrive to use as a seperate scratch disk for Photoshop)
  18. Newt Freeware
  19. Damn might have to take a look at debian the next time I'm building a squid / dg box.... That permissions thing always irratates me!
  20. I think your biggest benefit for running 64bit will be the fact that you will be able to go past the 4gb ram limit for a 32bit os. I beleive sims will run on 64bit - but just check that
  21. Hehe those lines are from my script.... I just had more children to make sure there were plenty of helper processes to auth with... Probably way beyond required but the system has plenty of resources and I wanted to see if it helped any
  22. I am running 2 Squid/DG proxies at the school I work at. They are both running on Ubuntu 8.04 Server. They work great. But I am no expert at ubuntu or linux and it takes me AAAAAAAAGES (about a week if I'm not busy) to configure them to fully work with AD and NTLM. It mainly takes me so long as I just collect info from google searches and slowly make things operational... and forget to write down what I've done as that slows me down even more hahaha I will help all I can with any questions you have (and give any config files you might need etc) - if I can remember from when I did it
  23. SQUID Frequently Asked Questions: Troubleshooting 10.22 FATAL: ipcache_init: DNS name lookup tests failed Squid normally tests your system's DNS configuration before it starts server requests. Squit tries to resolve some common DNS names, as defined in the dns_testnames configuration directive. If Squid cannot resolve these names, it could mean that your DNS nameserver is unreachable or not running, or your /etc/resolv.conf file may contain incorrect information. To disable this feature, use the -D command line option. Note, Squid does NOT use the dnsservers to test the DNS. The test is performed internally, before the dnsservers start.
  24. What do your log files show? You should often get a "not authenticated certain domain/username due to issue" error message somewhere in your log files - if not that it should hopefully show an access denied for another reason. Have you configured your squid/dg for ntlm authentication?
  25. siuko

    Juicy pears

    I like melons more!
×
×
  • Create New...