Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

siuko

Members
  • Posts

    787
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by siuko

  1. November 7th at 7:11pm
  2. Thats exactly the reason why I got the Sony DPF-D70 - it has a resolution of 800 x 480 - and it shows! It is quite expensive for the size though!! Review of it on my website
  3. I think as witch says - add photos on for them. I got a Sony DPF-D70 photo frame for my girlfriend and added photos of our pets for her and she loved it.
  4. Yeah thats definitely a possibility - thanks
  5. Just started looking at FOG this morning and I am wondering... We dont use DHCP at all here (for various reasons) - will FOG work without requiring a DHCP server? Is there any way for us to choose IP addresses for clients when we reimage them?
  6. Vanilla... but.... Still Windows 2000!!!
  7. With our redirected start bars we only have links for programs that are available on all computers. If we have software that is only to be available on a few computers we make the link local on the computer itself - by making sure it is in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs. This will then only show on those computers you want it on. Windows will read the program links from your redirected folder and also the all user folder and show them together. This is WinXP client btw
  8. Have you run simsperm on the systems? If you havent it can cuase issues with reports.
  9. I'm obviously being very slow today (same as always really) I just realised that I can just install Italc Client on all our staff PC's and use the text message function from there!!! It will also centralise our remote support a little more than just using vnc! (Now where is the slaphead smilie when I need it) Thanks for everyones help!
  10. Sadly we have the messenger service disabled... And Borgchat looks a little bit too much for what I need. Just needs to be a really small utility that pops up a small message.
  11. I have to patch Sims again today to fix an issue that needs doing before the census can go. Does anyone know of a program that can be used for one way communication to all computers on a network so that I can quickly let all staff know of the downtime. (I will just be running round the school letting everyone know this time) But for the future does anyone know of anything: 1) Preferably open source 2) Easily installed and run on a network 3) Will popup a message as soon as I send it to all computers that I choose
  12. When using Dbattach you do not want to have the sims.mdf and sims.ldf inside the data folder. The attach process will copy these file in itself. They need to be outside this folder somewhere Doh people editing their posts make mine look silly now hahaha
  13. What sort of switches? If they are managed is it anything silly like broadcast storm being on and dropping the connections due to lots of activity?
  14. siuko

    Sims Reason 0

    My Reason 0 problem was all server side and randomly affected certain staff accounts. You are 100% certain it is the workstation at fault?
  15. Well scrap all that for the time being.... While researching the install of a new Sims server I read up on a few performance tweaks for Sims. One related to the Reason 0 problem and the fact we were running SQL 2005 Express (limited to 1gb ram). I just upgraded the server to SQL 2005 Standard (1 Processor License) and adjusted the bootin to allow applications 3Gb of memory and now I can create users and change passwords without timeouts and without it locking the database and cuasing Reason 0 Errors and lots of people not logging on. Not as nice a fix as a new speedy server but it should hopefully last until BSF borgs take over Thank you everyone for the help you posted. PS.(Thinking out loud) I also wonder if SQL Express's limit of connections has anything to do with timeouts?
  16. 1100 Students 130 Staff 350 Computers / Laptops 1 System Manager 1 Network Administrator 1 IT Technician
  17. Sorry to post on an old thread.... But I have this very issue and dettaching and reattaching hasnt helped... We have just been recommended to upgrade our old server to a faster one. Anyone else have other fixes for this issue?
  18. Hehe no the LEA isnt installing it... I wouldnt trust them to change a toner never mind install a server... I'm just purchasing the system from Dell and doing everything else myself
  19. I understand about the Per Processor SQL Server software. (I will be purchasing the SQL 1 Processor License to remove the need for SQL CALS) I was wondering whether I need Windows Server CALS for the clients to connect to the server to use the SIMS SQL database?
  20. Right so we are having issues with our Sims server (when we change passwords or create new users it times out and stops alot of users logging on until we dettach and reattach the database). We have been told by our Sims support provider that our server is to slow / old and needs replacing to fix the issue. We have a school with 1100 Students and 100 Staff. The staff use Sims for registration in their classes so maximum Sims logins at the same time would be about 70+. Present Server Dell PowerEdge 4600 2 x Xeon 2.4Ghz 4Gb Ram Windows 2000 SQL Server 2005 Express No Raid Ultra320 SCSI HD's (With plenty of space) So I am looking to purchase a new server, new os and new sql software and I have a few questions 1) Will this server spec be ok? The server will only be running Sims and the document server. Dell PE T300 Quad Core Xeon X5460 (3.16GHz,2x6MB, 1333MHz FSB) 12GB DDR2 667MHz Memory - 1 CPU (6x2GB dual rank DIMMs) C4 SAS/SATA cabled, RAID 1, Add-in SAS6iR Cntrl, 2 Hard Drives SAS 6i/R Internal Controller RAID PCIe 146 GB SAS 15k 3.5" HD 2) Which OS? Windows 2003 32 or 64Bit? Standard or Enterprise? With or Without HyperV? Windows 2008 32 or 64Bit? Standard or Enterprise? With or Without HyperV? (I'm guessing 64Bit to see the 12Gb of ram - will there be any issues running Sims on 64Bit?) 3) Which SQL Server Software? Should I buy Single processor License of SQL Server 2008 and just use SQL Server 2005 until Sims switch to SQL2008 support soon which will then allow me switch quickly (I beleive the licensing allows backward use?) Should I get the standard or enterprise version of SQL Server? 4) Licensing CALS? If I have an SQL Server processor License will I still require Windows CALS for them to connect to the database? Another Domain Controller will authenticate their permissions to the Sims Server. The Sims SQL database will authenticate there access to sims itself. Sorry for the long post... thanks for any help anyone can provide
  21. 1. Install and run from server. 2. It says Windows 2000 and 2003 - so I dont know about 2008 (Just try it and see maybe...) 3. Dont think it requires anything else - not that I remember (maybe the VB or C redistributable?) From what I remember its Free and easy to setup so no harm trying it.
  22. Active User Manager is what I use. Once you setup the basics it is such a fantastic tool and its FREE
  23. This is exactly the reason why I have stopped buying HP as we have loads of very rubbish HP2015n!!! Guess its the same with the 2055... probably the same problem with the rubbish formatter boards
  24. It sounds like a monster! I think i will decline... thanks anyway
  25. That sounds VERY wieghty if it needs a pallet!! How much you think it would cost to get it here?
×
×
  • Create New...