Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. I'd check the event logs also, it will give us some clues.
  2. I've started to implement Azure Backup at bigger sites - secure off site backup, encrypted and very ease to use. You can also adopt any retention policy within your budget. Per incremental backup, Geo-Redundant Storage makes 3 copies in location one and 3 copies in location two, hundreds of miles away.
  3. Also what build are you using? I noticed the other day on VLSC, there's the original July 2015 build, November 2015 build, but also a revised April 2016 build (based on build 10586 or 1511), with updates up to April 2016.
  4. You could try resetting the browser to defaults, in their user context.
  5. With regards to Java exceptions, like the above I do this all by script, but change it to a machine setting rather than user. This makes it a lot simpler in terms of deploying exceptions in a domain environment.
  6. Well a proxy in school or possibly your LA, it's still somewhere in the link. Bromcom just uses port 443 (to the best of my knowledge) - I'm currently trialling this and have had no issues like you describe. You could also try whitelisting *.Bromcom.com in your web filtering to see if this helps too.
  7. Presumably you're connecting behind a proxy at school? If you tether a school notebook to your phone, again does the issue go away?
  8. Yes - the main monthly updates are cumulative. Microsoft have moved away from giving us 15 updates a month as with Windows 7.
  9. Thanks for the info Al - all I will say folks is Al is very knowledgeable about NetSupport's products/services (having spoken to him recently), but also has an excellent understanding of school requirements of all sizes. He's answered all my questions/queries effortlessly and soon NetSupport will be playing a big role in the networks I proactively manage; from small independent schools to MATs, the products scale well in both scenarios, but more crucially are cost effective the more integral the likes of Safeguarding and system monitoring become. I should state clearly I have no business interest in the comments I've made above - purely honest feedback from a sound company offering good quality products/services. Was an absolute pleasure talking to Al and talking to someone on the same wavelength
  10. I'd definitely check your Mail Flow rules. Failing that, unless something has changed with your MX Record, but I'd expect internal mail (logically speaking) would fail also.
  11. I presume Windows is activated and you've double checked your Activation Key? That's all that comes to mind.
  12. What about Phones and CCTV?
  13. Are you running this with elevated permissions?
  14. I think I need to have a 'chat' with the likes of BT to properly understand the options. I'm just wary that although Windows itself understands subnets/routing etc... will your typical Door System operate across multiple subnets? I very much doubt it. How do you do things in your setup, with the likes of Door Systems for example?
  15. Thanks that's very useful - it sounds more like L3 rather than L2, otherwise broadcasting would be possible; but you're absolutely right this wouldn't be required. It's more so keeping the same subnet which for multiple applications makes sense (like the above).
  16. I'm just thinking of other possibilities - Direct Phone Links, Linked Door Systems, Linked CCTV... yes Windows itself understands Subnets and Routing etc... but would these additional requirements? Not necessarily.
  17. Well regardless how it's done - single subnet or multiple, this is where DNS will play a big role. I'm not 100% sure if you can have the same subnet (either side of the Point to Point link), or if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I'm guessing NAT still plays a role (even with this setup), so wouldn't be very realistic to have the same subnet either end.
  18. In such a scenario (essentially a large WAN), would you have a single subnet, or multiple subnets and why?
  19. Why is this an issue? All the services are hosted within Europe, irrelevant what happens with the EU.
  20. I'm guessing you've upgraded to SSDs? Or taken them out of other machines?
  21. You can give them to me if you like 500GB in a lot of applications is still perfectly usable
  22. Thanks Dave much appreciated, will PM tomorrow
  23. I've never understood why a select few are unencrypted, but buying into a card gives you access to the whole library of French channels as before. Again (I don't know why) Fransat is valid for a lifetime, yet TNTSat is valid for 4 years+ even though they're very identical services, be it on two different satellites!?
  24. I've received French channels off 5w Atlantic Bird for years - I'm already viewing them in HD, but you have two choices really - Buy a HD Fransat box (with card, one off payment), or you can buy a Fransat card in a PCMCIA module (one off payment) and plug directly into the back of your TV (if it supports it). This is how I do it using my Samsung. Alternatively you can get the same services using TNTSat (Astra 1 19.2e) by buying a TNTSat box, with card, valid for 4+ years.
  25. Yes it would be something like Smoothwall, with this specific end point being greater than all the others (in bandwidth). Would this mean everything would appear on the same subnet/range or still individual subnets/ranges per connection?
×
×
  • Create New...