Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jsnetman

Members
  • Posts

    909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jsnetman

  1. Log off the user and then press Ctrl-Alt Del twice, this should give you the classic logon boxes.
  2. Have you injected the NIC driver for the machines in question into the boot.wim/defaultWinPE.wim.
  3. Count me in, John Spence Community High.
  4. On the exchange General tab there is an option to set who can send to that list, your staff should be in a security group that the pupils arent in. You just apply that group to accept messages from that group only.
  5. I would look for the conficker virus, it will do this type of behaviour and more. What service pack are your stations and servers?
  6. Are there power down buttons on the keyboards, we had this issue a while ago with Stone PC's.
  7. Free ones never quite cut the mustard for me, they have too many overheads like configuration and running problems. We decided to go with ABTutor, their licencing model is the cheapest around i.e you pay only for the tutor licence all clients are free.. We just bought 5 licences (£700) for tutors who will really use the software and installed the software onto USB memory so they can use it in any classroom.
  8. I agree this is a pointless statement, I'm not a big fan of RM but I came to this school with RM in place, and got rid as soon as. But if another school was offering good money with RM in place I would take it.
  9. jamesfed, I have followed your posts regarding this issue, in my view you would be better off and cheaper with a vanilla network but have you got the experience in house to setup and manage a vanilla setup. Are you putting yourself forward to do this. You have mentioned getting BT in to do it but I would suggest this is not a viable option. You would have to be prepared to set it up and manage it yourself. Contracting it out would be just as costly if not more than RM or Ranger. On the other hand if you want me and my techie to come there over a holiday period we could bash one out for you at a very reasonable price !!!
  10. I guess they afford some simplicity in managing a network, such as user managers and the like of that, and of course ready to use GPO's if ranger uses them.
  11. And also not every msi requires an MST. To my experience 90% don't need one. Normally well written software and up to date comes with a ready to use MSI. Shame MS did not do this with Office 2007 as it's sort of their technology.
  12. Well thats strange because I have deployed this in about 10 seperate organisations without a problem.
  13. Why don't you just deploy it using the software policy of AD.
  14. We had issues like that maybe 1 or 2 years ago but it happened randomly on some machines. Turned out the security database was corrupt on those stations. There are tools to analyze and report the state of the database, start by searching for secedit. Don't know if this is your problem but at least you could rule it out by looking.
  15. To be fair it is a junior school. But I can't imagine any decent NM going for it. Perhaps a budding young IT person eager to gain their spurs.
  16. Very risky, install might go well but on reboot all sorts of nasties could happen. far better off getting a new server and install 2008 then transfer the roles slowley. I waited until I was absolutely sure 2008 was working on 2 new servers then transferred the roles and demoted the old 2003 servers.
  17. It's hard enough getting these to run on an internal network, but eventually we did. The main issue was java on the clients. Don't know if this is your problem.
  18. I used to have a chess facility for an after school club, we used slics, it's fairly old but works. It's a bit of a pain to setup and get connected to a server but it's free. CHESSBD The other option is go to Internet Chess Club: Where the Grandmasters Play Online Chess and download blitzin, you can connect to their server for free as a guest. I have not seen any purley lan chess gui's but I'm sure they are out there.
  19. We had a slow down yesterday morning, the authority have conficker wild on the admin part of the network. Although all are curriculum network machines and servers are patched against conficker I presume the slowdown was something to do with the virus.
  20. At the end of the day it's all about those parents selling their children into prostitution, ok the people like polanski and whacko are guilty but I would still go after the parents. Maybe they were overcome by greed or being famous but they are just as guilty, the parents I mean. I am not defending the likes of polanski or whacko but you have to question the parents motives.
  21. The mother or father should be jailed also. What good parent would let a 13 year old girl go for a photo shoot with anyone is beyond belief. Same as whacko why did their parents permit it also.
  22. How many users and computers do you have, the price invested is is down to that really. We have 450 machines out in the school and about 8 servers in a similar room, it gets very hot in summer but no servers have failed we just turn on a portable air con. Might not be the best solution but it hasn't failed in 10 years.
  23. Well I cannot doubt your dedication at making money, do you ever rest:)
  24. Google toolbar should not be installed in any network environmnet, we have found laptops shipped with google toolbar are very slow, and in fact when teachers bring in their home pc's a lot of the time they are being slowed down by this toolbar. Why on earth would it be part of a network. I love google search site but their toolbar is pants.
  25. this summer we ordered 160 2gb ddr2 shopped around and got quotes of between 16 and 20 quid, we went to a local distributor and got them for 10 quid each. Just out of interest what was the price from CP.
×
×
  • Create New...