Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jsnetman

Members
  • Posts

    909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jsnetman

  1. I also have only option 60 in DHCP. My DHCP is the same server as the WDS.
  2. My boot settings are this: boot\x86\pxeboot.com in the wds setting
  3. Have you disabled architecture discovery in the registry and then restarted the WDS service, aslo in my boot settings is this: boot\x86\pxeboot.com
  4. I had this problem a while ago, we had to disable architecture discovery, search on google for disabling it.
  5. The only reason I would not use SCCM is the cost. Apart from software inventory, you can achieve software and OS deployment with native tools in windows server.
  6. We use WDS a pain to setup but once going is good. And it's free.
  7. You could try install the driver and use some snapshot msi creator like Wininstall/le or there are loads of others. I had to do this for the digital blue microscope driver.
  8. CITP it's a bit expensive and then £120 quid a year. I only see it as an advantage if you were running your own business or a freelance IT person.
  9. Our machines normally once a year. Unless we get a problem like a virus or corrupt software installation.
  10. I don't use any of these programs in the image they are all deployed from group policy or in rare instances from a script. I must admit some of them are problematic. Plus if you incude in an image and you want to uninstall you will have to do it via scripting which will aslo be problematic.
  11. Go to Ramesys we got ours for 30 quid and a free upgrade to Enterprise on a School agreement +.
  12. We use this for laptops so when our users go home they have an offline version of their server docs (My Docs). You need to go to the shared folder on the server right click it and then choose sharing and then click on caching and select the middle option. Hope this helps.
  13. Thanks for the suggestions, have tried the permissions route (won't even run as an administrator, which I kinda think is strange) and the LEA VLE does not seem capable of supporting VLE packages. I gave this and other progs a year ago to the VLE but they just won't put them on, doesn't look good for our VLE does it! Maybe I could set up my own internal VLE just to host these type of packages. Any suggestions for a quick and easy internal VLE setup?
  14. We have software titles Exploring Science 7,8 and 9 but are having trouble getting the activeteach and activebook modules to work. They work fine on machines which are a clean install and have no group policy. But on machines which are locked down we just get the hour glass showing when they are run. Been on to tech support but they are dragging their feet on this. Anyone come across this and could offer a resolution, much appreciated.
  15. I think you have probably taken a copy of a profile from a machine where group policy has already been applied. It reallly needs to be a profile from a machine where no GP has been applied.
  16. On the latest here and apart from loads of setup problems it is fine now.
  17. Well you are probably right tmcd35 about the quickness of deployment, but we have been on XP for better part of a decade and feel we must move forward. The decision to go into 7 now is primarily because we did not deploy vista and we have all new equipment installed this summer. Sure we may lose some antiquated apps but management here accepted that and want to move on. In 2 years time I think you will be way out of step with what the pupils and staff will be using at home. I know thats not essentially a problem but to be in step with the community is a good thing.
  18. Just tarted the testing stage, have an image prepared and will probably deploy in the next holiday period. the head has given the go-ahead to purchase the required licenses but I still need more time to test all the antiquated apps we have here.
  19. Hi I'm getting an error when trying to deploy a windows 7 wim from WDS "windows could not apply unattend settings during pass (null)" Getting this whether I put an unattend answer file in or not. Any help please
  20. Ok Ok I was attempting to setup Win 7 via an old 3com superstack hub, I can't get into it to see what the problem is, it is probably configed with spanning tree or something like that which on some forums say will limit connectivity of vista and 7, I've searched for the default IP of the hub but cannot find it, but no problem we are awaiting delivery of gig switches to replace all switches in school. Thanks for the comments and one of them made up my mind to demote the old win 2003 dc and promote the domain funcionality to 2008, all is well.
  21. I have now removed the old WK2003 DC and raised the domain level to 2008 but no difference. I was wondering, just spotted Windows 7 RTM uses UTC time and my Win 2008 servers are set to GMT. I know if windows XP time is out it wont do naff all. Has anyone on these forums joined Windows 7 RTM in a domain environment, and got it working (accepting machine group policy that is).
  22. Yes schema master is 44. I do normally have more than one dns but in the early stages of going to 2008 server I just configured one for now. As I say dns seems fine.
  23. jsnetman

    Windows 7 RTM

    Hi all I'm trying to get Win 7 working on our domain. The problem is I get a GP core failure on the software deployment part of group policy, all other settings seem to apply. The software msi's reside on a dfs root and I have XP clients working and seeing this dfs root so there is nothing inherently wrong there. On the win 7 machine I aslo get errors in the event log which relate to dns errors which state the domain cannot be contacted, but dns is correct as the xp clients work without fault. Our setup has recently been upgraded from 2 win 2003 R2 domain controllers to 2x server 2008 DC's and one of the old Win 2003 R2 DC's still in place. I moved dns onto one of the 2008 dc's and have a backup dns on the old 2003 dc but as I say DNS seems fine. It's almost as if the NIC is not initialising when the machine is booted. The machines are Stone D945GC motherboards with onboard Intel Pro 100 VE NICs Anybody Thanks
  24. Is the new server registererd and pointing to a valid dns server? could be a dns issue.
  25. I doubt it. You should not be letting your pupils use hotmail within a school for this very reason. You need internal email setup or external webmail that can be monitored for this type of abuse.
×
×
  • Create New...