-
Posts
909 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jsnetman
-
Ok I have setup 2 spanking new 2008 64 bit servers on our existing 2003 domain, old servers which are 32 bit. Eventually I want to transfer all of the roles and user date and apps to the new servers. Problem I am having is software deployment. I create a folder on the new servers and put an MSI into it, give it the same perms as is on the 2003 servers but the software does not install in any format on the client i.e assigned published machine or user. The error is the file cannot be found. I have checked the UNC path and permissions but nothing is amiss there. Can you deploy 32 bit apps from a 64 bit server is probably the most direct question?
-
I have got all of our hardware covered by one image using a combination of driverpacks sysprep and a line in sysprep which can be edited if you are using WDS. The line entry is: UpdateUPHal=ACPIAPIC_UP, %windir%\inf\hal.inf This example entry would force the HAL from a ACPI Multiprocessor image to an ACPI Uniprocessor. It all depends what type your base image is. Other examples can be found here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283
-
I am adding 2 new servers and plan 2008 on them. I was not sure about the cal question you are asking so I phoned Ramesys our usual software suppliers and they said yes you need to ugrade the cals. But we are not planning the full upgrade of the cals until the summer. I am going ahead with the server installs now but won't do the cals until summer hols.
-
Mellisaa was chosen because my wife is Turkish and Melissa is used in Turkey and UK. Babies middle name is Betul which is definately Turkish and Nihal my wifes grandmother's name. Nihal wanted "Melissa Betul Rubendiz Burne" but I thought that was too long and removed the Rubendiz name.
-
Hi Witch, babies name is Melissa.
-
-
We have just setup WPA/IAS Radius with certificates My techie was a bit miffed that he couldn't access the network from his phone/pda to retrieve emails. A bit of digging around for that particular phone and how to import certs to it solved the problem. Basially each device needs to be able to import the cert and normally this will have to be done manually.
-
Well for 40k I'm certainly applying, by the way things are going with BSF here in North Tyneside it's probably likely I will be tuped to them anyway.
-
Hmm strange one. Just to rule out a faulty wireless point you could try hanging the laptops of a switch with a cat5 lead. Just to see if they work from a physical connection.
-
When you reboot the server does it take a long time to get to the logon screen?
-
Just to confirm you aint got this conficker business download this from symantec and run it on the server and a couple of clients with the switch /nofilescan. W32.Downadup Removal Tool | Symantec Honestly those symptoms are exactly what we suffered a while ago. Turned out one laptop with conficker caused the whole network to go down.
-
First off I would check for the conficker/downadup virus. Your symtoms are an exact copy of what happened here 2 weeks ago. If you are virus free next step would be to confirm DNS is functioning correctly. Withouts a correct DNS setup your servers will be slow to logon and the clients will not receive GP.
-
Essential tools to manage a Windows 2003/2008 domain?
jsnetman replied to reggiep's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
I use winstallle to create MSI's from exe's. And to edit them I use Orca. But to be honest the days of creating are nearly over as software people are now creating their own MSI's. -
Essential tools to manage a Windows 2003/2008 domain?
jsnetman replied to reggiep's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
You can distribute software using the same AD users and computers snapin. All you need is a valid MSI. -
Essential tools to manage a Windows 2003/2008 domain?
jsnetman replied to reggiep's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
You don't really need any tools to manage native 2003 as they are already built in. Bulk creation of users can be done using addusers.exe, managing users can be done from Active Directory Users and Computers, apart from Lanview or any of the list of remote monitoring solutions. -
I've had this here a couple of times. Did not look too much into it but after deleting the mailbox and then re-establishing it works again.
-
Check to see if the user logging on already has a profile on the local machine. If it does you need to run something like delprof.exe to purge the profiles from a machine. This is presuming you aren't using roaming profiles.
-
One of our servers died today either power supply failure or MB, without spares I cannot determine. However we were due to upgrade servers in the summer. The head has given the go ahead to by the servers/storage/backup solution. Dell are talking me into prurchasing a server with an MD3000 and and an LTO4 multi loader backup. Any of you experienced this kit. I am particularly interested in the data transfer speeds between the MD30000 and the network as I will be placing user home areas on it.
-
003 Router IP 006 DNS Servers IP 252 Wpad 015 Domain Name 060 PXE Client But depends on your network really
-
A good tip for creating a master image to go across most PC's is to change the HAL to suit your PC type in sysprep: HAL options after Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Setup
-
You can use a batch file to do the same job: How to automate FTP uploads from the Windows Command Line :: the How-To Geek
-
Tested Monkeyx's VB script on all curriculum machines as I left school tonight, it did it's job. I used to use another VB script to shutdown the machines at a scheduled time but this relied upon an updated list of machines on the network, thanks to this sript thats no longer necessary.
-
Deployed it site wide as soon as i tested it as I had massive problems with IE7 and certain webpages that contained flash content, the browser would just close without any warning. Good thing about IE8 is the crash detection and compatibilty mode it prompts for when detecting faulty or badly designed pages.
-
already done this when I moved to Sp3, still get it occassionaly. We also run delprofs but sometimes a userprofile is stubborn and takes another reboot to clear it.
