Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jsnetman

Members
  • Posts

    909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jsnetman

  1. Open Exchange system manager browse to the mailbox store and give or add administrator account full access permissions. Then follow Mossj's suggestion.
  2. Our departments were given credit cards last year and they are great, we buy loads of kit from ebay, no problem with vat finance just reclaim it via the LEA or the LEA reclaims it for them. Once a month we tally the credit cards and submit invoices for each purchase. It has made our life much easier.
  3. Our tech retired last year, he also liked travelling so we bought him a TomTom with European maps.
  4. Yes we have it deployed with no issues as far as I know.
  5. Download MS intellimirror it has a kiosk gpo in a spreadsheet form, you just copy the settings into a gpo manually that is. I think there is an import feature with it but I could never get it to work. http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/default.asp
  6. The investment planner takes everything into account. If you are talking about a network budget we are given £2500 a year to keep things ticking over. Mind you we spend a lot more than that. The investment planner takes into account your technicians on costs, staff training regarding ICT, how many PC's you have and the renewal policy and a whole load more other things.
  7. We have 850 pupils.
  8. No issues at all. My personal belief is that if you buy a higher spec computer you can just about get 6 years from them before new apps will struggle on them.
  9. The investment planner works this out for you.
  10. Not really, the odd motherboard or hard disk. But nothing major, we don't have like 100's going down all at once. I would say 1 every 2 months which is no big deal.
  11. Becta have an investment planner spreadsheet that can give you a fairly accurate overall view of how much is being spent. We have been asked to use it as a pre BSF exercise. Ours came out at £207 per pupil. Quite low I think compared to other schools but we have a policy of reneweing desktops every 6 years which keeps the spend down.
  12. jsnetman

    Expo Electro

    teacher has forgotton admin login it was written down in the user manual and has been thrown away. Anyone know how to reset passwords on it. Might be in the manual. Cheers
  13. MS Media Encoder is also good for this.
  14. All teachers here have laptops but they are a nightmare, staff don't look after batteries and the amount of calls saying they have no network because they have inadvertently toggled the wireless off. The head told me to order a PC for every teaching room and they are being fitted in the summer. I wanted to get rid of the laptops but the head wants both. So the nightmare is doubled. To cap it all staff are now asking for a printer with each class PC, but I'm putting a stop to that if I can.
  15. Our school uses Comic Life and seems to go down well with pupils and staff.
  16. I know from past software deployment that you have to sometimes enter the registry key information into the user profile hive. It can be done from a script if you are using roaming profiles or easier if you are using a central profile like a mandatory one.
  17. I seem to remember word shark and number shark stops working if the program writes a directory to the user home folder. We found that if you delete it all works as normal.
  18. we advertise software for laptops as all depts do not require the same sort of level of software distro that the curriculm PC's need. But obviously other schools have differing requirements for use of laptops.
  19. You may have some GPO setting that disables users to add or change items on the desktop rather than it just being permissions. The easiest way round is to recreate the MSI and delete the desktop item it creates while in the middle of the snapshot. I don't know what sotwware you used but generally they are before and after snapshots so in the middle delete the icon.
  20. Ok I will try that, but what happens when I want to try and get rid of the 2003 servers. Do I then have to raise the functional levels of the forest and domain controller? Yes it worked thanks jinnandtonnix, but what about when I want to get rid of the 2003 DC's?
  21. Yes I already had Domain Comps in and full control. and yes if I browse to the UNC path as a user I can install the msi
  22. For testing purposes everyone has full cotrol at NTFS and share level so it definatley is not a permissions thing or not in relation to a 2003 server anyway.
  23. If I assign publish the app from a windows 2003 server and folder it works fine. Its only when the share is on windows 2008 x64 I get the error.
  24. Thanks, ran RSOP and it confirms the error I get when trying to install the published MSI "The system cannot find the specified file"
  25. Ive got administrator Full, Domain Computers full, and everyone full on the share or as it states in winows 2008 co-owner
×
×
  • Create New...