-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
Who are you purchasing Apple stuff from?
Jamman960 replied to Blue_Cookeh's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Using Solutions Inc at the moment but have also used Tramscom, both good with DEP enrolment. I took a faulty iPad into an Apple store a while back and asked for the replacement to be enrolled in DEP, I was told no at the time and carried on anyway however I've since found that the replacement has been added into DEP for me, I get the impression this is now an automatic service. -
We've recently brought startech lightening cables, they seem sturdy enough and come with a 2yr warranty
-
We essentially set the period between the AC Year start date and the actual start date as holiday so attendance didn't expect the pupils in.
-
we've started the academic year in August for a few years now with no issues, I believe we still admit pupils on their day of arrival though
-
Software similar to Tapestry or 2 profile for KS1 KS2
Jamman960 replied to edutech4schools's topic in General Chat
Tapestry does include an option for KS1 assessments, their website claims it covers EYFS, KS1&2 We're purely using the EYFS side of it and haven't looked at the KS1 assessment options as yet though -
you may be better off changing as that range isn't part of the ranges reserved for private networks (172.16.0.0 -- 172.31.255.255 is) so either your existing ISP owns that particular range or they've just assigned it anyway(for some stupid reason our network is using the 147.0.0.0 range and I've never had the time to change it) the only time you'd run into problems is if you needed to access resources on a host within that range, in your case if you were to one day link networks with a local school that had been assigned one of your new ranges you'd run into issues so it may be slightly more likely.
-
This is an issue that could affect a shared set of anything i guess, I imagine you'll be able to lock a selection of the set but even thats not going to work well unless you know for sure which ones are in the room. One way I've seen it done(at last years Apple education leadership summit) is by using iBeacons where as you walk into a room the MDM is told which devices are present. This isn't without its flaws though - having gone to the next session after the ibeacon demo I once again got locked to safari when it was being demo'd again... 16gb wise i imagine this is down to shared sets having to have a larger selection of software installed than a 1:1 device would
-
This should make the education leadership summit interesting - anyone going next Wednesday?
-
Haha, were I used to work we used to joke about how tnt must be doing donuts in their vans before delivering our pc's as loads were getting battered, our regular guy always denied it tho!
-
Odd, I've had 3 separate notifications regarding different users one of which was myself, not sure if the others had changed passwords but I certainly hadn't
-
What projector brands do you use and like?
Jamman960 replied to VeryPC_Anthony_L's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
in recent years I've stuck with NEC M230X's, they've been more reliable than any of the Epson/Hitachi/Sony projectors we've had in the past and they just work in place of virtually any projector, I havent looked at much else recently but have the other manufacturers also sorted their throw/zoom's? I remember at one point having to order a different replacement projector for each room due to the differences in mounting difference. -
Tell me why this is a bad idea (or maybe its not!)
Jamman960 replied to AdamEdTech's topic in Wireless Networks
I'd have to say I feel the same way about wanting fixed devices to have wired lan ports but I guess its kind of a throw back to the days when wireless was far more flaky, I spec'd up our new nursery building to include wired ports for the pc's in the agreed locations only to find that once the furniture went in most of the staff had changed their minds, I'd have told them to forget it before our wireless went in but now I've just stuck wireless dongles in and let them get on with it as the building included 2 AP's anyway. for student devices the only way is mobile in future imo, having a single student workstation in a room no longer provides adequate provision, 2-4 fixed student devices is probably the maximum practical outside of a lab and even that isnt particularly useful. -
FYI with the newer version of OSX server(2014+) its possible to specify a public IP range to be served so the server no longer needs to be on the same public IP address, this does however require an additional DNS record on the internal dns server. having issues setting this all up myself at the moment but hoping the dns entry will sort it. To set this up click edit permissions on the caching server section - if required the dns entry will be available on the edit permissions dialog.
-
Looks like I'm running into the same issues, radius clients are being presented with the captive portal fairly randomly. Have you had any luck so far?
- 9 replies
-
- 802.1x
- lightspeed
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I've just setup a similar configuration except I'm using a Cyberoam firewall, so far I've not seen the captive portal since getting the radius accounting working although I've generally gone from one building to another and may not have gone directly from one ap to another. It may be worth looking at sending the accounting info to the NPS server and getting the NPS to send accounting info to the lightspeed box. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771347(v=ws.10).aspx
- 9 replies
-
- 802.1x
- lightspeed
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Is the internet access on the iPad ok otherwise? I've often had this because we rely on a captive portal for authentication, once authenticated its ok, at worst closing the app and re-opening solves it.
-
I work in an independent prep/pre-prep and most of the job is fairly technical however there is a lot of hand holding - with labels for instance I'd refuse to do them but will happily assist staff with the process if they need it, those sort of jobs will take one person forever or individual teachers a few minutes each.
-
How many PCs are we talking about? I wonder if general boot up traffic is causing issues, if they're all talking to ad/dhcp/file servers at the exact same time at 1gbps you may end up having to re-transmit a lot, having the workstations operate at 100mbit may help(probably not worth it if not causing issues at other times) or staggering the wake up process slightly I also find that ping replies from switches, printers and other devices with basic cpu's tend to be misleading as network performance indicators - they tend to suffer from degraded ping times with traffic spikes fairly easily. I would try a continuous ping to a remote workstation rather than a switch/printer, if you see fluctuations there it may be worth using wire shark to look for anomalies.
-
Does this happen if you do it while the pc's are already on? Or just when actually waking a large number of pcs?
-
Sims .net has worked well on win 10 beta for me, from memory support starts in a couple of releases time according to the tech roadmap Edit: support starts spring 2016 for 64bit w10
-
I tend to listen to Tech news today in the car on the way to work aswell as other twit.tv podcasts This week in Windows & this week in enterprise tech can be good to listen to... Sad I know
-
Can't recommend TJames enough, had them install our ruckus gear last week on behalf of Haptic, I've never been impressed by any of our previous contractors but these guys did a very neat job.
-
Pressing F7 while using Command Prompt will bring up command history
Jamman960 replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
Thanks, have always used up, down and right /tab but didn't know about f7/8- 23 replies
-
- cmd
- command prompt
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
