Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jamman960

Members
  • Posts

    1,577
  • Joined

Everything posted by Jamman960

  1. CPU-z will tell you - CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
  2. We had a problem with a cable on a pole a while back, a normal engineer would come out each time then call in an aerial team, if there wasn't enough light by the time they came out they'd have to start again the next day... they then decided they needed to put traffic management in place which required permission from the council. This took Openreach forever to apply for and they'd never confirm whether or not they'd even applied. It took us over 3 weeks to get an FTTC line sorted and even then we had to pull a few strings via a staff members family member.
  3. One of our deputy's sons built a pc recently and used one of those cheapo Oem licences from amazon, I couldn't see anything wrong with it and the majority of the reviews seem positive. He purchased one and got the licence he was expecting both via email and post, all activated and recognised as genuine. I've brought oem licences from ebuyer before and paid just over £100, I'm not quite sure how they sell that cheaply but figured you can't go far wrong for the price and there's nothing around suggesting it's not legit as far as I can see bar the tiny number of negative reviews about not getting licences etc etc
  4. In our case I've found that the following hotfix has resolved the issue to date: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2617858/unexpectedly-slow-startup-or-logon-process-in-windows-server-2008-r2-o I simulated a bad shutdown on my own machine following the patch and it booted as normal. Regards James
  5. Our bursar/business manager has recently shown an interest as the independent bursars association has published a few bits on it.
  6. Check with the supplier, it could well be per "trunk" as its generally a price per channel at the same rate rather than 1st one at X then others at another price. we've gone for a 3 year deal which included unlimited local, local, national and mobile calls
  7. https://www.malwaretech.com/2017/06/petya-ransomware-attack-whats-known.html Has some interesting info, it seems as though one of the initial vectors may have been Ukrainian accounting software "MeDoc" via software updates. With this software being required by the government over there it's no wonder it propagated so quickly I guess the equivalent for us would be sims/other MIS updates being infiltrated, think I'll start assessing everything that has its own updating mechanisms for potential weaknesses. Most these days seem to verify files prior to deployment but I suppose some of the smaller software packages may not be so sophisticated/security conscious
  8. We've imported from sims into the freepbx phonebook but haven't been able to get a live link in place. We now get "Parent of Smith(8AY)" for instance on the phone for landlines or "Mr J Smith, Smith(8AY)" for mobiles
  9. Has anyone come up with a more permanent solution/cause? We've recently started experiencing the same thing after applying a backlog of patches, random pc's are getting stuck in different places in the group policy process. certain policys are taking upwards of 20 minutes to deploy despite only having a single item and being applied in less than a second on pc's that aren't experiencing the same issue. I've found similar thread on the spiceworks community (https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/324801-winlogon-notification-subscriber-gpclient-error-taking-605-seconds-to-boot) which suggested a wmi repository related fix via a script(included below) however in once case I've had to apply the fix twice in a week, I'm also having to manually end svhost.exe in order to get the wmi service to stop, prior to stopping it uses 500mb+ of memory. @Echo off If EXIST "c:\Wbem.txt" GOTO END :BEGIN Echo.Checking following services... Echo IPHelper (iphlpsvc) Echo SMS Agent Host (CcmExec) Echo Security Centre (wscsvc) Echo Windows Management Instrumentation (winmgmt) Echo. Set Service1="ccmexec" Set Service2="iphlpsvc" Set Service3="wscsvc" Set Service4="winmgmt" :CHECK for /F "tokens=3 delims=: " %%H in ('sc query %Service1% ^| findstr " STATE"') do ( Set Service1State=%%H if /I "%%H" NEQ "STOPPED" ( echo.%Service1% still STOP_PENDING. Press Any key to check again otherwise Ctrl C out of the script net stop %Service1% timeout 10 cls GOTO Check ) ) for /F "tokens=3 delims=: " %%H in ('sc query %Service2% ^| findstr " STATE"') do ( Set Service2State=%%H if /I "%%H" NEQ "STOPPED" ( echo.%Service2% still STOP_PENDING. Press Any key to check again otherwise Ctrl C out of the script net stop %Service2% timeout 10 cls GOTO Check ) ) for /F "tokens=3 delims=: " %%H in ('sc query %Service3% ^| findstr " STATE"') do ( Set Service3State=%%H if /I "%%H" NEQ "STOPPED" ( echo.%Service3% still STOP_PENDING. Press Any key to check again otherwise Ctrl C out of the script net stop %Service3% timeout 10 cls GOTO Check ) ) for /F "tokens=3 delims=: " %%H in ('sc query %Service4% ^| findstr " STATE"') do ( Set Service4State=%%H if /I "%%H" NEQ "STOPPED" ( echo.%Service4% still STOP_PENDING. Press Any key to check again otherwise Ctrl C out of the script net stop %Service4% timeout 10 cls GOTO Check ) ) :STATUS CLS Echo.%Service1% is %Service1State% Echo.%Service2% is %Service2State% Echo.%Service3% is %Service3State% Echo.%Service4% is %Service4State% echo. echo.All Services Stopped... Please Wait... Repairing WBEM Repository del C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository\*.* /q rd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository* /q timeout 5 cls echo.Fix complete. Your computer will Restart in 60 seconds. shutdown -r -t 60 echo.WBEM Script Control > c:\WBEM.txt timeout 60 :END I'm suspecting its a dodgy patch to blame but pin-pointing it could be interesting James
  10. It'll be interesting to see whether the cost of recovering their systems outweighs the "saving" made by not renewing the extended support contract
  11. Doing the same here... just don't tell my wife!
  12. This got me for a while, KB4012216 and a few others are the rollups containing the 17-010 update along with a few others: This security update resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: MS17-022 Security update for Microsoft XML Core Services MS17-021 Security update for DirectShow MS17-019 Security update for Active Directory Federation Services MS17-018 Security update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers MS17-017 Security update for Windows Kernel MS17-016 Security update for Internet Information Services MS17-013 Security update for Microsoft Graphics Component MS17-012 Security update for Microsoft Windows MS17-011 Security update for Microsoft Uniscribe MS17-010 Security update for Windows SMB Server MS17-009 Security update for Microsoft Windows PDF Library MS17-008 Security update for Windows Hyper-V MS17-006 Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer James
  13. We picked it back up in Sept/Oct and have extended it to all of our iPads bar a few I've not been able to get back in for migrating, its so much easier to use
  14. I've just brought Altaro following a months trial, it's far too easy to setup and just works, it seems to have all the features I need inc sandboxed restore De-dupe and compression ratios are impressive, think we're managing around 53% across all vms.
  15. Have been doing it in a similar way for a while, the only problem is that it now irritates me whenever I find a cable that hasn't been coiled correctly We seem to have someone who coils cables up as tightly as they can then knots them ... I'll catch them one day!
  16. My supplier has quoted me for an updated version of the stm dux, other manufactures shouldn't be too far behind
  17. Here's the link to the adapter: Buy TP-LINK UE300 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Universal Adapter | Free Delivery | Currys
  18. Morning, I've recently come across a couple of issues, one where a student has forgotten their pin code, tried it too many times then possibly restarted it leaving the ipad disabled with no wifi so that we can't reset the code via mdm, on another occasion we put a pupils ipad into lost mode and then had it brought to us days later in lost mode with no wifi(again I assume they've restarted it). Previously we've recovered the pupil to a spare ipad and wiped it, now I've brought a camera adapter and usb ethernet adapter along with a powered usb hub and can get an ethernet connection to the ipad where necessary. The only thing I did need to do is connect the camera adapter to a working ipad first to update it. Hopefully I'm teaching everyone to suck eggs but having been advised to wipe the ipad by our support company I found this and figured I'd give it a go. FYI I ended up using a TP Link USB 3 Gigabit ethernet adapter as Currys didn't have the apple one, this worked perfectly. We also needed to reserve an ip for the dongle and allow it through the firewall, within seconds the ipads (both disabled and in lost mode) received the commands from the mdm and started working again. James
  19. We're using Tapestry, the parents love being able to see whats going on during the year. Its not particularly expensive either, think we pay under £300/year for upto 120 pupils.
  20. I had a quote for around £999 just to terminate fibre recently, in the end I've told our building contractors to use pre terminated fibre, 100m LC-LC OM3 4core Armored is £230 inc vat from Comms express. Last time we pulled fibre through we needed a 30mm hole
  21. We've gone from Meraki to trialing Lightspeed and now we're sticking with ZuluDesk, it's about the same price as Lightspeed but is generally updated as soon as new mdm features get supported by iOS. it took Lightspeed far too long to include Apple classroom/shared iPad and from what I've heard they still haven't implimemented it well If money was no object I'd probably go with Jamf but right now Zuludesk is good enough, The Apple tech guys quietly recommended it when I went to their 9.3 preview last year.
  22. If I were setting it up from scratch I probably would go for a shared mailbox however some of our less tech savvy office staff didn't even like it when I setup a filter to separate their own mail from the info mail. Our solution has been to create rules that separate anything with an unsubscribe option sent to that group into a separate junk folder, it ended up with around 20 different key phrases but this has now brought the levels of marketing mails down to an acceptable level. The only false positives we've experienced have been parents forwarding schoolpost messages back to us but an exception will sort that. I attempted to unsubscribe from a weeks worth of mails but others kept coming.
  23. Just started reading 'The Phoenix Project' - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phoenix_Project_(novel) I've seen many reviews state its a must read for anyone in IT, im only a few chapters in but its an interesting insight into service management in general... figured I'd read this before delving into ITIL/Fits text books
  24. Our site manager saw something along these lines a while back and removed them all, we then had a health and safety/ISI inspection and they insisted we had them despite being shown evidence... edit: seems as thouugh lincolnshire has had similar in place for all services since 2014 - https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Download/78998
  25. We've recently used PCD Computer Recycling - they give us 'charity points' based on how much we recycle etc
×
×
  • Create New...