-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
We used Earnie for a while alongside FMS but then outsourced our payroll entirely when our accounts staff changed.
-
We're too far along with the installation unfortunately, we've paid excess construction charges so now its just a waiting game with Openreach, they're having to dig up the pavement to clear ducts along half the length of the road, being so close to a school () they're having to do it during weekends/hols. As ever with Openreach the whole thing is far from painless - only last week we had them claim all civils were complete while further works were clearly planned on roadworks.org. We're now looking at mid January at the very earliest for a circuit which was originally estimated to be installed ready for September.
-
Thanks Matt, she's getting better every day at the mo thankfully I'm planning to move over to 365 during the summer with Exchange 2010 going EOL next Jan, I've held off going too far into the cloud until we have a leased line in place(134 working days and counting... Openreach ). I kind of like looking after Exchange/onprem servers... when they're not interrupting my holiday!
-
Typical... our NAS got bored last night and decided stop passing traffic Had to pop in and revive everything this morning, all went well until the exchange server decided to throw a wobbly because an ad servers time was out of sync Now back home looking after the kids and OH who got admitted to hospital with suspected meningitis on Friday then got released late on Xmas eve thankfully.
-
We're still here, most kids and staff left on Wednesday afternoon... managed to get a few more migrated to W10 though On the plus side the head's closed the school from today until Jan 3rd
-
I wouldn't get rid of the USB-Serial adapter, I threw ours out over the summer having not needed to connect to anything with serial in years... then the PBX went pop so we've since brought another
-
Haha, our secretary received the same this morning!
-
Software for mirroring iPads to Win 7 PC's
Jamman960 replied to PrimaryTech's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Reflector has worked very well for us -
We have an outside company cooking our school meals etc, they have an office with a pc which we don’t support, I’d previously been told this cost the school £600/yr for tech support which I figured was a bargain at the time as the chef was far from IT literate and would be more needy than most teachers if we supported her. Now I’m being told we pay £1300/yr and that wouldn’t cover any hardware replacement costs. Is anyone else in a similar boat? We’re an independent school I’ve asked our bursar to find out what is actually covered, they seem to only get phone support so often ask us to “take a quick look” first anyway so we might as well just support the whole lot and save the school some money/provide a better service. From a licensing point of view I guess we’d need to purchase a non edu cal/copy of office rather than use our ovs-Es licensing
-
[ipad] Copying photos from iPad and storing on server
Jamman960 replied to Ditto's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
I would ensure you're using managed apple ids as you’ll get 200gb per id storage, Foldr is pretty good for transferring files to network shares. We leave the staff to sort out their own storage issues, if they need the images they use Foldr to transfer them to the network folders or email them to themselves. If the run out of space(far harder with 200gb iCloud storage) they can find stuff to delete. -
Digital signage for IT phobic staff
Jamman960 replied to Theldron's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
TrilbyTV works well for us, staff/pupils can share straight from their iPads, pupils need their content approving, The web interface is pretty good too. -
Trying to install Windows 7 on a HP ProDesk 600G2 Mini-Desktop PC
Jamman960 replied to mattwilkinson7's topic in Windows 7
We had the same with ours, you’ll need to bundle the driver into the win7 iso, in our case we connected to the machines via sccm remote control to install the drivers -
Capita Technical Support - Where have they gone?
Jamman960 replied to Tefters's topic in MIS Systems
Same here, I’ve had around 4 tickets open for various things. They’ve slowly cleared 3 of them but I had to nudge them after a month of no reply and still haven’t had a response a week later for the last one. -
We've just started using our messaging system - SchoolPost to do this, we print the individual reports to a PDF printer then upload to Schoolpost as a merge publication which then assigns the right files to the right pupils then sends their parents an email with a link back to Schoolpost for the attachment, if required we can set it up to require a password for that publication otherwise the link expires after 2 weeks and they have to login to view it anyway.
-
[sims] "The selected XML file is not meant for this school."
Jamman960 replied to panosthegreat's topic in MIS Systems
try 6036703 James -
[sims] "The selected XML file is not meant for this school."
Jamman960 replied to panosthegreat's topic in MIS Systems
Try swapping the school and la identifier around, i tried logging a call with capita about this issue and was told it wasn’t supported then our registrar went on a course and was told about the different format I still need to get back to getting this setup, I quickly ran into another issue with the xml and haven’t found time to get back to it since -
Back when we were researching screens their screens looked good, their records on companies house showed they had gone under and come back far too many times, not supprised if they do/have gone under again
-
You could create a new file server vm then attach the vhd of the old one as a second drive rather than transferring the data - on my fileserver's I've setup the user data as a separate vhd, I'm planning to detach an re-attach then re-configure the shares when i upgrade. If you're happy with the existing 2008r2 setup I'd go with an in-place upgrade, its never been considered the best way to upgrade but it seems as though the 2012/2016 install processe are far more reliable than the previous 2003/2008 and before ones.
-
I've always had new installs done by contractors, I've often done internals moves myself in the past but they always took far longer than any contractor would take and I've generally got better things to be doing, our site manager isn't the most helpful as everything seems to be done on a favour basis.
- 16 replies
-
- audio and visual
- installation
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
You should be able to sign in at go daddy and find renewal options/instructions. It'll mainly consist of generating a CSR on one of the servers then using that to re-generate a cert at GoDaddy I'd take a look at getting a free LetsEncrypt certificate as they now support wildcard certs, I've used zerossl.com recently to generate them - they only last 90 days but once you've stored the details you need its just a case of visiting their site before it runs out and pasting in your cert details again. James
-
We use Lesar.co.uk/Card Hero for all of our cards, it works out cheaper for us as we only issue cards to staff/regular visitors so needed a large amount at first followed by around 30 per year in theory - once we've purchased the credits each card is 1 credit and there are no minimum order whereas most similar companies charge ridiculous amounts for small quantities and only really become good value for 20+ at a time
-
In my experience many schools had separate reworks originally and often had them managed by different suppliers, usually whoever the school wanted for the curriculum network and the la for the admin one. It made sense to some extent but now there’s much more crossover between admin and curriculum so it became pointless separating them, support providers now tend to support the whole lot now also. As above with the correct permissions setup a single network is just as secure as separate ones and has the benefit of costing less in tech time and hardware .
-
Using Altaro here for 2 hosts, works perfectly
-
I’ve Found toshiba machines to be very reliable, our supplier Direct-Tec have been faultless, they use their own engineers where they can and Toshiba engineers elsewhere. Getting 5x 5015ac machines installed over half term
-
I guess the quickest way would be to have your mail client(outlook can definitely do this) run a script upon receiving the message that interacts with Notify via commandline - https://support.netsupportsoftware.com/kb/asp/kbprovider.asp?gettd=761&lang=EN&xsl=https%3A//support.netsupportsoftware.com/kb/TechDoc.xsl this would rely on the mail client being open somewhere, there's probably a lighter weight app you could use for this that'd sit on a server somewhere though.
