Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jamman960

Members
  • Posts

    1,577
  • Joined

Everything posted by Jamman960

  1. You're welcome, I saw a brief demo of the dashboard yesterday and its fantastic, the ability to see which categories of data are being stored by who and where as well as the ability to control data flow down to the individual pupil level on a per supplier basis is exactly what we need - just need to start pestering our suppliers to take it on now
  2. We've previously not collected the Ethnicity info as it was optional on the census but our new registrar began collecting it when the EYFS census changed, I'm sure we can get away with using the not obtained code but I guess if we've been submitting it for the last year or so it'd look odd to suddenly say we haven't got the data, I'd much rather not have the data at all We're at the beginning of our GDPR journey so haven't started DPIA's as yet I'll take a look at the group call report, it'll be interesting to see what everything is importing, we found an issue with MLS exporting too much recently so tightened who had backend access. Group Call Emerge on demand looks to be a far better solution. Edit: thanks for the heads up on Groupcall reports, I assumed they were pulled via the db direct rather than via reports. Interesting to see a couple of ours are pulling ethnicity data but not showing it on their management interfaces...
  3. At the moment within Sims more or less all permissions groups have access to the Ethnic/Cultural panel of a students record including "Class Teacher" and "Registration Tutor", I'm thinking of re-creating the templates for general teaching staff so that they can't see this data in order to limit the risk of a data breach containing "special data" and to ensure minimal necessary access. I can't think of a reason for general staff to need access to this, we've not collected this data until the EYFS census changed. is this a concern for anyone else? or am I over thinking it
  4. have you seen the contract? I'd be looking for minimum volumes, excessive toner delivery charges as well as how they ensure you don't leave it in a cupboard to see the contract out if things don't work out as well as any exit fee's. I really don't miss shopping around for copier contracts I've also been warned of odd/sneaky charges such as being charged per colour used or being charged for scans, I'm not sure if these are things that have happened or purely scare tactics put out by rival companies.
  5. To be honest having looked into this all further I'm starting to realise we won't require consent for as many things as I'd expected/heard, I had the impression we were going to need consent for the majority of our activities but many will come under contract etc the GDPR states 16 but gives country's the option to lower this to 13 which the uk is doing as part of the Data Protection Bill I believe.
  6. Ah fantastic, nope we don't have either of those but it sounds like a very good reason to get them. Cheers James
  7. How is everyone planning to maintain databases of who has/hasn't consented and allow easy withdrawal of consent? I'd like to have a web portal for people to sign in and manage their own consents, at the moment we often use user defined fields within Sims but with the number of consents I can imagine us needing to gather this won't work too well. Ideally such a system would notify the staff involved in each service when consent is given/withdrawn to enable us to act accordingly. James
  8. I saw this yesterday and wondered whether it’d be useful for server room security/monitoring if sensitive enough to pickup beeps etc over the fans
  9. I just rd in normally but also have a vpn setup on our UTM just in case the rd server is inaccessible
  10. we use the Timely wordpress plugin to publish the calendar, I previously embedded a google calendar Calendar creation is handled via excel at the moment having dragged our secretary away from using word... I'll probably shift across to using outlook/exchange for creation then export/import via ics format. As of this academic year we no longer issue a printed copy so there's less of a reason to use excel We've had to purchase the csv import addon for timely in order to import via ics/csv - it can sync with Google calendar but that dosen't tag/categorise anything
  11. We’ve had automatic ordering on ours for 3 years now, at one point toners weren’t being delivered on time but once they tweaked the order at % it works perfectly - we have some excess stock but that’ll get collected at some point. I don’t replace anything until it reaches 1% The only time I’ve had to move toner between machines is when the ordering wasn’t right. I think it now orders at 20% rather than 10 I couldn’t give back to manual ordering now, it should be part of the contract
  12. I believe you can now enrol them in DEP using apple configurator 2, from what I've been told they then go into a flux status whereby their user can remove them from DEP within the first 30 days after which they are recognised as being school owned devices.
  13. Morning All, If you're running a Sophos XG/Migrated Cyberoam UTM running Sophos OS V17GA firmware you really need to upgrade to MR1, ours stopped passing traffic though all interfaces on Tuesday night until it was manually rebooted. Sophos have now released firmware 17.0.1 MR1 with the following bug fixes: Issues Resolved NC-22472 [base System] shm service found stopped NC-23068 [iPS] Device stopped responding NC-22950 [iPsec] Unable to login to GUI due to opcode stuck in v17.0 GA It seems a few on their community forums have also experienced similar lockups on V17 GA. Until this our firewall had been rock solid since installation in 2014. James
  14. We recently(over half term) upgraded ours from Cyberoam firmware to Sophos OS/XG firmware v17 and have experienced the same - until now Youtube hadn't been included in the safesearch feature which is handled well by the search engines and only affects the dodgy material however youtube filters a good portion of the content under "restricted" mode - I've disabled forced safe search for now as google still defaults to safesearch and our pupils(Nursery to Y8) aren't likely to realise its been changed or have a reason to change it. Another issue to be aware of on V17 is lockups - our firewall stopped passing all traffic on Tuesday night until I rebooted it, now they've released 17.0.1 MR1 - I'd upgrade to this as soon as you can. James
  15. For a school of that size I’d be tempted to use something like onenote or an access database, a full blown mis would be overkill Out of interest what do you currently use to record your data? And what do you intend an mis to do for you?
  16. They did a free notify offer a while back, this may come around again? not much help at the moment though :/
  17. Assuming it’s the same as cyberoam you’ll need to create a custom category containing your blocked addresses
  18. I used Misco for everything at one point but then the account managers started changing every 6 months, each new account manager wouldn't offer the same as the previous and I had to fight with each one to get free delivery, they were fantastic for us at one point though. I moved on to Haptic(CPLTD) for most things and they've been great, always get good pricing even if I have to twist James' arm
  19. We assign staff a managed ID to sign into iCloud with and then get them to create a personal id using their work mail address to enable them to download their own apps/create iTunes U courses(this is then linked back via our public iTunes U site enabling their personal id's to contribute/manage their courses)... I wouldn't want them using an ID they use elsewhere though I prefer our staff to be able to download their own free apps and get us to purchase their paid apps, if they decide one is worthwhile and needs installing for students we'll grab it via VPP but I'd rather them not have to put in a request just to try an app that they might decide isn't worthwhile within 5 mins, at the same time its more convenient for them to be able to do it in their own time without waiting for us to put it all in place. Another annoyance with Managed ID's is being unable to purchase additional storage... we're getting a few filling it and having no recent backups, 5gb doesn't go very far with our EYFS staff & tapestry
  20. We usually use Solutions Inc, good on price and offer a good amount of support and training etc
  21. I think the yellow pages is doing one final year in print this year I’m the same, haven’t used a phone book in many years
  22. I think they’ve done something with photo compression, a recent version also included a better file system Fingers crossed it does the same for the 32gb airs our eyfs staff keep complaining about... getting a bit tiresome now
  23. Take a look here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/netbooks-pda-phones/181930-recovering-lost-disabled-ipads-without-wifi.html once connected via ethernet they usually regain contact with the mdm server and spring back to life
  24. Got all the physical stuff 99% done but still need to sort out pupil accounts on our various cloud apps etc have 2 inset days so should be ok
  25. Odd, I guess it might not be able to recognise/interrogate server boards or chipsets or may not be able to run via a vm if it's via a vm Is it a branded server or if not are you able to find the mobo model? Popping the lid with the power on would be the quickest way or you may be able to identify the chipset via device manager then work out the ram type from there
×
×
  • Create New...