Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jamman960

Members
  • Posts

    1,577
  • Joined

Everything posted by Jamman960

  1. Is reporting working for those that have installed the june update? I installed it today and sims just issues an error message as soon as you press either run or design a report then just crashes edit: also what version is everyones databases after the update?
  2. I work for an independent prep & pre-prep in kent, we currently have BT Business ADSL(up to 8mbit) lines installed on both sites but due to the distance from the exchange we generally get a maximum of 4mbit down and 800k up. I've looked into the cost of leased lines but they're generally coming in at £4k installation followed by £350/month rental for a 2mbit line which is a huge leap from the current £65/month with BT. We are willing to pay more but not quite that much more. Out of interest - what is everyone else using for their connectivity and how big is your budget for it?
  3. Same here *sniff* another independent with no relationships with locals schools.
  4. have you tried putting the drive back in? it may be ok once its been re-integrated into the array. On the servers I've dealt with in the past the only way to shut them up was to go into the raid bios and find the silence option.
  5. Scripts called via group policy(startup/shutdown/logon/logoff) will be run with administrative rights, scripts run as logon scripts(defined with in each users account within the ad, run from the netlogon share) are run with the users credentials. There are also programs you can use within scripts to temporarily elevate privilages but imo if what you need to do requires administrative rights just launch the scripts via group policy.
  6. N: - Home (staff/students) O: - Common (staff/students) P: - Apps (staff/studetns) S: - Sims (staff) R: - FMS/Earnie (finance staff) I also have a few other drives mapped for myself: U: - general storage for apps/drivers/documentation etc on the main server T: - same again but on the sims server, mainly for anything relating to sims V: - Netlogon W: mapped to the redirected start menu/desktop location I used to work in schools around the country supporting/installing networks, I'd occasionally setup a scratch drive for network apps that need somewhere to store user records etc
  7. what you need is a prf, the following link should help: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011402581033.aspx
  8. Simsperm.bat uses subinacl.exe(or something like that) to apply file permissions and registry permisisons to for certain groups. I have used group policy to apply the same changes to machines here for staff only. So far its worked a treat I've added the following to Computer Configuration>Windows>Security Settings>File System: %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\SIMS Applications %ProgramFiles%\SIMS (Configure this file or folder then - Propagate inheritable permissions to all subfolders and files) Computer Configuration>Windows>Security Settings>Registry: MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib (Configure this key then - Replace permisisons on all subkeys with inheritable permissions) On each of these I've added the teachers group. After these changes upgrades have worked perfectly(so far) James
  9. Cheers, just signed up for the london one
  10. within group policy(user) take a look at the software restriction policy settings, you can either stop them running the program by its name or you can block the application based on its hash - then no matter what the name of it is it'll be blocked. in the larger networks I've setup I usually set it up so that all executables within home areas(always use unc paths, it won't work on mapped drives for some reason) and on flash drives/cd's are blocked.
  11. I disabled it straight after the upgrade without any effect on the running of sims, havent bothered to uninstall it as yet though.
  12. just a thought, what could be very useful is remote battery monitoring. I'm no programmer but after doing abit of searching it appears as though it would be possible to get properties such as battery time remaining and other stats regarding the battery via wmi http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394074.aspx a small application could be built to query a set of laptops and display the time remaining on each, gonna do some testing with powershell later if I get time
  13. Procon IP units may be worth looking into rather than buying projectors with ethernet, they're availible in 1 and 3 port versions, cant remember how much they cost though(had to setup a whole load in my previous job). using the site manager software you can control every projector in the school and see their lamp usage along with changing the input selection etc. I'm pretty sure you can schedule on and off times too.
  14. I'm not a fan of having ISA on a DC but the school I work for only has 1 curriculum server on each site and both of them are DC's with ISA installed as well(argh!) I've set them up to allow everything internally followed by a few rules for allowing certain types of traffic to pass between the internal and external network. As above I would if possible get ISA setup on a seperate box to save headaches.
  15. last time I had that problem it was down to permissions, capita's support site has a few other suggestions tho.. The following is from capita's support website:
  16. The trial/pro version has extras such as file transfers and printer mapping, the free version is fine for remote control purposes although you can only have 5 pc's/servers on each account. It should work through EMBC, it certainly does at the schools I support with embc anyway I havent found many LEA provided networks that don't allow logmein through although some do block the url unfourtunatly.
  17. User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Control Panel > Display > Prevent Changing Wallpaper - setting this to enabled will stop the kids using "set as desktop background" in paint and internet explorer.
×
×
  • Create New...