Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jamman960

Members
  • Posts

    1,577
  • Joined

Everything posted by Jamman960

  1. We used Timetabler (as per BKGarry's Suggestion) before switching to Sims and using NT6, my line manager was very happy with it from what I can gather and only switched to NT6 due to the sims integration etc James
  2. I've used TechLogic in the past, they took everything including pc's that had been stripped by our year 8's... they weren't a pretty sight! I'm not sure what you'd need a licence for, unless it allows you to accept WEEE? I once considered getting one so that we could accept other companies old computers but never actually got round to looking into it. James
  3. Good work! I can't imagine how hard yet rewarding their work must be - having to review such material must be difficult let alone getting it removed
  4. I'd certainly block or at the very least not answer work calls out of hours, receiving work emails on my personal phone is bad enough! Core staff here have my personal number but other than that I use a dect handset connected to the schools system when working. Teachers have a habit of working at odd times, I get emails whenever our copier comes up with an error or jams. I often get them on weekends or very late at night.
  5. Not sure what to believe, the OFT declared the pricing was all find and dandy in January and we had the cheapest fuel in europe(pre-tax) - OFT rules out petrol prices investigation I guess the best we can hope for is a small discount in price followed by the government deciding there is room for a little more tax.. I hate the fact that a "good" price for petrol at the moment is 129.7(Asda), back in 2005 89p was expensive
  6. doubt they made it to a dumpster I imagine if any of us put this forward as a way of cleaning up the schools networks we'd probably be out on our arses within the week once the bursar managed to stop rolling around on the floor laughing!
  7. Thanks for mentioning it on here, still using 2k3 for profiles and individual reports here as 2k10 mucks them up... will have to start looking at ways of resolving it or put the spring release off till summer
  8. Will be going virtual this summer while I get rid of w2k3....its currently one of 2 remaining non virtualised servers
  9. Thanks FB, won't be deploying W8 for a while so I'm hoping the situation will improve. Metro seems great on tablets but give me a desktop for real work any day. James
  10. Will probably go for this if it becomes available, we're currently using FTTC for our connection.
  11. CPLTD sorted me out with one of these last July
  12. I'm afraid the toilet has been converted into a server room Welcome aboard Steve
  13. IEP writer would almost fit the bill, its a shame Capita haven't done much with it or integrated it into Sims
  14. You should be able to hide the old comments by changing the report period dates to a period where the old teacher had gone but that could get messy. In review mode the new teacher will be able to see the other teachers comments and edit them(with the correct permissions) Assessment manager might be more appropriate for this although it depends on how much text/how many seperate comments you're looking to use, you'd end up with 1 mark sheet per group/class
  15. talk about reviving an ancient thread I've given up trying to get staff to turn them off, most are now setup to turn themselves off after 10mins of no signal so they turn themselves off eventually. Life's too short to chase teachers around telling them not to leave them on, on the whole the majority of ours do turn them off anyway. I'd be interested in the possible penalties...if only I had that sort of power
  16. We currently use Profiles for our KS1-3 reports however the EYFS ones are still word based. Me and my line manager are in the process of setting up profiles to cope with EYFS's non standard report areas by creating dummy subjects in Nova and then mapping them across as areas/sections in profiles. I'm sure it'll work fine but I prefer not having to put workarounds in etc just to make things work if I can help it - How is everyone else managing EYFS reports within Sims? James
  17. Wow that sounds like a complete mess, is there no way you could scrap one or the other? Many of the schools on here will have had 2 separate networks at one point or another but these are often curriculum and admin networks, the majority of these will have been merged in the last few years. Could you potentially change the usernames on one of the networks to make it more obvious which network they are using? having a trust setup between the two would be one solution but I'm guessing that's not likely to be possible.
  18. Sounds like a good place, should be fairly cheap on bills with that energy rating and not in a bad tax band either. I'd expect to pay a bit of a premium for that sort of place. I've never been too keen on fully furnished properties, partly because we've always had pretty much everything we need but also because there's more of the landlords stuff(probaby not brilliant quality either) around to break & have to pay for when you leave
  19. Exchange 2010, Bromley We moved from 2003 in July 10, felt as though is was creaking a little back then
  20. Take a look at the setup on the Session Host Configuration - it sounds as though you may have the "allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication" enabled. My(other) settings on this screen are - Security Layer: Negotiate Encryption Layer: Client Compatible
  21. you'll need to change those settings(if you use RemoteApp) but RD Gateway is a role to be added in addition to the other RD roles. Take a look here - How to set up a Remote Desktop Gateway Its been a while since I setup ours unfortunately so I can't remember the exact steps James
  22. You need to setup RDGateway between your RD server and router(can be on the same server). once this is in place it'll tunnel the traffic over HTTPS for you and means you don't need to expose port 3389 at all. When connecting via the RDP client directly staff would connect to the internal server name and have the gateway address in the gateway options, the client would then connect to the gateway and then tell it which internal server to connect to and pass the credentials over. James
  23. Voted, I think I heard they were going to change supportnet once they'd sorted out their internal systems(in progress) this whole change request voting system is a bit of a pain, without raising a thread on here very few of us would have found and voted on this at all, searching through them is painful to say the least
  24. We have a laser link installed between our 2 sites - around 220m. We went for an MRV 1gbit system and its brilliant. The only time its been down is during very heavy snow(Nov/Dec 2010 I think) - the school had already been closed for half a day at that point so I wasn't too worried. we also have a radio backup in place that kicks in during heavy snow/fog - I disconnected the wireless during the snow last time so that I could see when it was actually down otherwise I'd probably only have seen 1 missed ping while it switched over. Fog wise I really wouldn't worry about it on a 188m link - I pulled a load of data from our local weather station via wunderground while researching it all and worked out that we only had around 2-5hrs of less than 200m visibility in our area per year, most of which was out of school hours or lasted less than an hour. I treat our link as if it were a fiber connection, if staff on the other end are having problems the last thing I consider is the laser link being down. We used AIT - Home - Data Centre and Networking IT Technical Services - AIT-PG for our installation and ongoing maintenance, we pay nearly £2k/year for a yearly maintenance visit(re-alighment) and emergency support. If a head breaks they replace it and cover the cost of access equipment. For us the maintenance visit alone pretty much covers the cost as each visit involves 2 large cherry pickers and 2 of their engineers.
  25. Congrats to the new mods, Be careful not to click the little red button Seriously though, enjoy it and try not to let it take over too much of your time. James
×
×
  • Create New...