-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
We're currently on a mixture of 2003 and 2010. Generally all windows 7 PC's have 2k10 installed and the XP machines are still on 2k3, getting our secretary to switch has proved to be impossible so far though
-
Cabling with Ferrets and other small mammals.
Jamman960 replied to CyberNerd's topic in General Chat
Just hope the ferret doesn't get hungry half way and decide to try eating the other cables;) -
Ooops... must start work. XKCD is far too distracting! another great strip
-
are we talking about deleting single users or whole year groups once they've left? By default there isn't an easier way, you could probably script it though. I generally setup networks to have user profiles and documents folders organised into intakes labeled with their absolute latest leaving year so that once they leave its just a case of deleting the parent folder. I usually also setup accounts to expire at some point during the summer hols in the year they are due to leave
-
I don't normally get to see the EYFS productions here have been roped into helping out with the KS3 one though - spent most of friday afternoon teaching a couple of year 7/8's how to use the lighting rig... full day of tech rehersals tomorrow - Eeek! doing a play called "The Spelling Mistakes"
-
I imagine you'll know the answers to many of the questions just because you've already done work within a school environment. I don't miss interviews one bit, no matter how confident I felt before getting there I'd always be a shaking by the time I got into the waiting room - to be honest if you're not nervous you're either too cocky or you have no real interest in getting the job... some you win some you lose and sometimes even though it dosen't seem that way at the time you'll think "Thank **** I didn't get that job!" months or years down the line. I'd hate to think where I'd be if I'd got the first tech job I applied for, I wouldn't have half the experience and wouldn't have met my wife. Good luck with the interview!
-
Would going for DECT handsets attached to the schools phone system be feasible? here myself and the site manager have one and can be reached anywhere at either site by anyone
-
74% of firms may not fully recover their data after an IT failure
Jamman960 replied to sonofsanta's topic in IT News
It'd be interesting to see if such firms realise the financial consequenses of losing data, lose all of your sales contacts/history etc etc and you no longer have a business - even if you do manage to recover most of it if you don't get your act togeather quick enough you may as well have still lost it all. -
I found Jimmys first dvd or two to be funny but after that it seems he's pushing too hard to the point I find myself cringing rather than laughing as he goes too far. I haven't seen his latest DVD and probably won't bother. Then again there's an audience for everything, I've never found Ricky Gervais to be funny but many find him hilarious
-
have been using my inbox until last week, have just started using OTRS+ITSM and am very happy with it so far. I've spent the last few years casually looking and have finally given OTRS a go, SLA's were one of my main requirements ensuring jobs were given one as soon as they're entered(currently 4hrs for critical issues, 1 day for issues directly affecting teaching, 3 days for normal issues, 1 week for requests) to ensure that no jobs fall off the wagon and get lost. James
-
who reads EULA's anyway you'll probably need to use a compatible usb wirleless dongle - Mac USB Wireless Dongle - as is often the case with MAC hardware they're pretty restrictive when it comes to using 3rd party hardware.
-
Its good to see the prices starting to come down, Sounds as if the price is stabilising if they're able to guarentee a maximum national price Guess we'll have to see what happens in January with the Govts usual rise...
-
Recommend school photographers that cover the Thames Valley area
Jamman960 replied to AngryTechnician's topic in General Chat
We also used Tempest up until a few years ago, we now use Bentley Photographic - they seem to be getting most correct, only 5 wrong out of 300 last year. I imagine they'd cover your area. They still send awful quality thumbnails on a dvd each year but generally send out better ones once I request them. James -
IPAD2 for use in an Education environment
Jamman960 replied to lmgtfy's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
a friend of mines kid has just started at one of the new academys and gets an Ipad2 for £16/month. I'm interested in how long the "oooh look at the shiny new toy" phase lasts - he's currently glued to the thing perminently. Seems they use it for notes and push work to it at, haven't seen him much since the start of term but am interested in how useful they actually are educationally. I'm pretty sure its not locked down, he's got all sorts installed including call of duty and various other games -
I'm hoping the new American tracks are up to scratch and finished in good time, both India and Korea only just managed to get their tracks finished in time, if i hear 1 more mention of dust today I'll scream... there just shouldn't have been that much around. The video of the Austin track on the program today dosen't give me much hope although it was shot a month or so ago, the New Jersey GP should be ok being a street race etc
-
Very lucky man! would have to pay an arm, 2 legs and your first born to get a seat like that at Silverstone! The atmosphere looked amazing on TV, it might not have been the best race but it certainly wasn't one of the worst by far. Agree about the Atkinson cam - his reaction was priceless!
-
Have to agree, I've still got the desktop PC I built years ago and can't bare to get rid of it - its worthless now but spent loads on new graphics cards, motherboards etc etc Have used laptops at home for the last few years to the point that today when I decided to see what data was on an old desktop I realised I'd gotten rid of all the keyboards I had
-
I'm not sure that an update would resolve the issues, how strong is the wireless signal where the 360 is located? I'd try using it closer to the access point/router. Sounds like he's been very lucky to damage just the ethernet port and nothing else
-
Add a footer to all Outgoing Mail
Jamman960 replied to JoeBloggs's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
I've always done it via our spam filter, there are a few other options listed on this thread though: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/4412-default-disclaimer-ms-exchange-2003-a.html James -
We've just moved over to Drupal, seems pretty good so far. I've thought about using Wordpress in the past but it dosen't seem to scale very well when you go beyond a few pages. It worked very well for our newsletter section when we had a static site though. James
-
PAT testing query - are we being double charged?
Jamman960 replied to docboggle's topic in General Chat
Tricky one, I guess he'd need to check each end but as you say if ones faulty the whole lead is. As he's doing 2 tests he's probably within his rights to charge for 2. James -
P2P FSO(laser) is just as good as fibre at short distances and costs much less if laying fibre would involve digging up roads etc. We have a gigabit link setup between our two sites(same road, 220m apart with houses in between & line of sight over the top), it cost us 12k in total for an MRV setup with 74mbit RF backup. The only time our link has gone down so far was due to heavy snow at which point the school had already been closed for a day, even then the RF backup kicked in. We pay 1.4k/year maintenance which includes a preventative maintenance visit(including 2x large cherry pickers) for realignment etc and if the equipment fails they'd get it fixed even if one of the laser heads need replacing. If its only for management a cheap RF setup should do the job nicely, even 10mbit would probably suffice
-
lol damn dyslexia, I've just been searching for some software called Kimbles somehow managed to skim read the (to) bit as Kimbles also... doh! nearly time to go home I've had a quick look at KOHA library software in the past but don't think it included what you're after and was overkill for what we're after
-
How long will re-imaging take? surely the last thing you need is for a pc to need a reboot or suffer a powercut mid lesson and be rendered unusable for 20+mins when it could have rebooted in 3 and been usable again.
-
disconnect a few pairs and claim its been damaged they'll soon have their own connection One thing I'm having to watch out for is degrading zip ties, our 7 or so year old fibre connection is zip tied to a 150m support wire for most of its lenght, after the heavy winds we started to notice large sections hanging loose because the ties had given way. They were all fairly thick & external grade by the looks of it. I ended up spending a day up on a tower during the summer hols putting new ties on. Even our oldest external grade cat5 links look ok though(when the gardener isn't chopping them up!) James
