-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
The iPad use wasn't too bad and half the time was being used constructively - X-Ray's etc but the blatant iPhone use wound me up. One Dr had lent the others SLR camera to a patient(like that'd ever happen) and in a later scene the Dr that had been lent an iPhone was wondering around playing Angry Birds then started moaning about how he couldn't find his camera and needed to take a picture of some rash... the other Dr then points out that the phone could be used as a camera... queue iPhone interface demo on screen It seemed as though the whole thing had been setup to show off the iPhone's features and show that even an older "Technophobe" could use one
-
They were fairly sly about it and never mentioned apple by name... think I only saw the apple logo once
-
You missed the scene in the operating theatre where the nurse had to put her phone down before she could assist lol I also thought it was an apple Ad, Apple has always been good at product placement(watch virtually any movie, if they use a computer its more than likely an apple!) but that episode was a tad over the top!, I thought the BBC were supposed to be unbias'd (I don't watch it by choice honestly guv! - my wife(nurse) likes to watch and pick holes/guess diagnosis's at every corner)
-
Have been off for 2 weeks already here, the kids return on May 2nd - we were supposed to re-open on the 28th but the head figured there wasn't much point Spent the last 2 weeks sorting out various small jobs including optimising cabling layouts, server maintenance, getting rid of sophos once and for all(woohoo!), distributing a few new pc's & installing half of our new CCTV system with the help of our site manager. Now have the final 2 weeks off
-
Just tested it on windows 7 & wireless - it appears to work as it should, I switched the wireless of via the hardware switch and the message cut in within seconds and dissapeared as soon as the wireles was switched back on Will experiment further once I return from annual leave, looking very good so far James
-
Mobile phone which will allow contacts import from CSV/Excel
Jamman960 replied to Edu-IT's topic in General Chat
with android the easiest thing to do is import contacts to gmail and then sync the contacts from there -
I'd guess switching it on and off more often is going to have some effect, I've got no idea how much of a bulbs lifetime would be reduced by on each switch on though. I've always argued that if we were to have a powercut during a lunchtime when the projectors should be off we could lose a bulb or two when we really don't need to
-
compatible toners vary wildly, The ones I've used for the last year or two in our 3505's last anywhere between 5k and 7k - the majority last just over 6k I decided to give one of the many toner companies that keep calling a go around xmas, the compatibles they sold us only lasted 3.5k(ish) each
-
The 3M(I think both are) privacy filters our head and secretary use seem to work well, unless your dead on to the screen and at the right height you can't make out much without making it obvious your trying to see whats on the screen.
-
Not suprising really, sims could do with a way to enforce password complexity etc when using database security rather than active directory to authenticate - no-one know's how secure each users passwords are and sims dosen't even differentiate between case so mixing case is entirely useless. Also I don't know about everyone else but I find that our typical end users don't understand or care about the importance of keeping MIS data secure, when I first started here the majority of sims passwords were "password" and I'm not entirely convinced they are much more secure now despite having a policy in place requiring users to choose more secure passwords(will be moving to AD integrated soon me thinks).
-
Nope not at all, by law you need to record morning and afternoon attendance one way or another - this can be paper based or electronic In the state sector the LEA would probably want you to stick with the standard approved codes but presuming your in the independent sector you're pretty much free to do as you please Not sure what the links to reg mark relates to though.
-
Not strictly IT related but... The school I work for has 6 buildings on one site and 1 on another all with their own burglar and fire alarms, ideally I'd like them all connected to the network so that certain members of staff can be alerted when any of the alarms are triggered(fire especially). does anyone have such a system or alternative solution in place? I'm attempting to find out whether such a system exists and who to contact for it but have so far drawn a blank Cheers, James
-
We looked at the SLG route but decided to setup a terminal server instead - it worked out much cheaper even though we had to buy a new server
-
Can't remember having any major issues with ours, just took it off the domain and put it on the new one. The sims.ini or connect.ini may reference full dns names here or there but they're pretty easy to sort out. James
-
Higher up than down?
Jamman960 replied to Edu-IT's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
Thought it was magic monday for a minute there... our upload still sucks though http://www.speedtest.net/result/1200913245.png -
I've been using CPLTD for our toners, the compatibles they've supplied for our HP 3505's have been excellent and often last longer than the 6k page rating. The delivery is pretty much always next day, I had to place an order last night at 16:40 as our secretarys printer ran out of toner and I'd used our spare just before leaving. One quick call to Joe and we've had 2 toners delivered already(arrived at 9am) James
-
How often do you clean projector filters?
Jamman960 replied to Sirbendy's topic in How do you do....it?
In the past I only ever cleaned them when the bulbs went which was very rare, since getting a few Sony EX4's installed a few years ago I've started cleaning them atleast once a term. This hasn't stopped the EX4's blowing bulbs every 1k hours though. I use the inventory within spiceworks to record all bulb, filter changes along with bulb/projector hours. -
I put down Jedi last time and plan to again... its a bit of fun and should be interesting to see how many do it this year compared to last time
-
Overhead video projector too bright - Teacher complains!
Jamman960 replied to adhutton's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Do any other rooms have a similar setup? and if so are other teachers complaining of the same thing? the last thing you want is to change one room and then have everyone else decide theirs need changing also Swapping in a short/ultrashort teacher might be an easier solution -
Found out yesterday I've got a place at the April session
-
I'd take the hint and go If your on a managed switch the logs might help, should show connections and disconnections etc
-
Compromised Websites - Anyone else affected yet?
Jamman960 replied to tech_guy's topic in General Chat
Just had our site managers home laptop brought in, a system restore appears to have resolved the issue so far. Going to run malware bytes get rid of any left over files. -
They did trials a while ago on the A42(might still be in place) where in certain sections lorries weren't allowed to overtake each other, I could see this working well elsewhere. banning them from overtaking all togeather would be a bit harsh though.
-
I somehow doubt they'll ever increase the limit, they seem more intent on reducing the limits... I'm hoping budget cuts will stop the new Active Traffic Management setups on the M1 and M25 from going live as no doubt they'll simply reduce the limit to 50mph throughout the day as they do elsewhere. Going around at 50mph may be ok for casual drivers but when your actually trying to get somewhere it gets tiring after a while.
-
I've just had the same problem with a projector 3.5m away from the screen, Joe@CPLTD recommended the Epson EB-84L and it fits perfectly. Looking at the screen size calc on projector point it would easily suit your requirements.
