Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jamman960

Members
  • Posts

    1,577
  • Joined

Everything posted by Jamman960

  1. Just tell her the school aren't covered for non school pc's and that the copy she has on her laptop is therefore illegal... not much more you can do really. I've always avoided giving teaching staff vlk keys as they have a habit of using them on their relatives, next door neighbors and god knows who's elses machines if given the chance. I try to install it for them or give them a cd and ensure they return it the day after to minimise the chances of copies being made.
  2. wow very unlucky! we've found it to be stable other than today to be honest. I wish they'd just been honest and said give it an hour... we might have sent the kids away to re-sit another day. Now my line manager will have to spend a while manually marking the papers
  3. Having the exact same problem at the moment, was told at 9:15 that it'd be up in 10-20mins followed by "it'll be up shortly" at 9:45... still waiting! Ended up giving the kids paper tests instead...
  4. can you see where the space is going? something like Treesize may be useful
  5. Do the machines have anything in common at all? maybe motherboard or NIC's? Could it be due to a bad driver being installed via wsus? I've had something similar happen to 5 different pc's over 3 years or so... never enough to look into it seriously. They all had intel D915GVWB(I think) boards in them.
  6. The Compaq/HP rack I aquired has taken dell kit without any modifications, is it the width or depth of the rails that cause the trouble? The best thing to do is plan how your going to lay everything out before going ahead and installing things, the general rule of thumb is to have the heaviest equipment towards the bottom(often the UPS') and then work up from there, the last thing you want to be doing is lifting 30kg+ equipment into the higher portions of the rack. Also plan the cabling layout in advance, ours is already starting to look like spagheti junction despite only being setup last summer
  7. We're putting it on in the theatre, the parents have been told that we'll release the pupils at at half time rather than 3:30
  8. You'll need 1 per member of staff that has access unfourtunatly, went through this with our account manager at Pugh before setting up our TS Technically you need 1 for every PC they use outside the school but 1 per member of staff with access is sensible enough.
  9. Ramesys have some explaining to do IMO, how can you expect a key not to be leaked when your giving it out to every bloody customer at least 2 Resellers were given this key and had used it on many school installs...
  10. Congrats for keeping this running for so long, I've encountered many servers that were setup with 10gb system partitions and needed careful monitoring to ensure enough space remained at all times, 5gb is insane though! I'm guessing it started life as a 2k server and got upgraded. I've pretty much always gone with the migrate, wipe, migrate method if the server isn't being decomissioned, you've got nothing to lose by re-sizing the partitions although it might make more sense just to wipe it and start again if its so behind on patches and the OS has been slimmed so much etc, I'd guess its taken a lot of "tinkering" to keep it running.
  11. Fantasy Share Trading, Spread Betting and CFD Trading Game is a good site for fantasy shares
  12. I heard a short conversation on BBC Radio London about this a few years back, they apparently don't always pair cameras on the same lane so you could still be caught out even though you changed lanes not really worth the risk... could do without the points
  13. Hmm, it seems strange that so many of us have the same key from different legit sources. I always thought these keys were fairly individual and should never be shared. [Tinfoil Hat]Its interesting that it first appeared on the net in 2004 yet its taken until now for MS to blacklist it - I'd guess they didn't want to upset so many customers but can now use it to push everyone towards windows 7[/Tinfoil Hat]
  14. Hmm, didn't realise that code was so well known - hadnt bothered to google it Out of interest who supplied the key in the first place? I know of atleast 1 company that did many of their network installs back in 2004-6 using this key(they're no longer around) I'd bet this will effect many schools
  15. Ah ha... that explains it! If one more teacher claims the internet is down I'll.... Rep given
  16. Good luck Simon, all the best for the future! Out of interest will someone else from CP be manning edugeek from now on? I've somehow never actually dealt with Simon(Joe's always handled our orders) but its been good to see a representative from a supplier engaged so much in an online forum. Its the personal touches that make CP LTD such a good supplier IMO
  17. LOL was about to say this sounds very familiar... we did Bugsy last year. Will dig out our SFX
  18. Had wanted to take this week off but have to stick around and look after contractors, we've got a gig laser link going in this week - my biggest project so far is finally happening and I can get rid of the VPN link that tends to go down on any day with a Y in it.... Around that I'm hoping to tidy the office, sort out our switches and run a network link into our catering office. Other than that I'm hoping for an easy week. On top of that our site manager has said I'm getting a new circuit put in... the servers and everything else in my office is currently running off a spur which is hanging off a circuit that does most of this floor
  19. You can go about it in two ways, 1. Just connect the switches - the switches don't need to know about IP addresses(they only operate at layer 1/2 and don't deal with IP addresses(Layer 3) at all), as long as nothing is routing packets between the networks it'll just work. 2. Use VLAN's. setup curric ports as VLAN 1 and Admin as VLAN 2 then configure your uplink port as a trunk, it will then be able to pass traffic from VLAN 1 to any port that is a member of VLAN 1 and so on. By using VLAN's you would maintain layer 2 segmentation - packets would not cross between VLANS unless they go via a router at which point you could apply ACL's to prevent certain data going from one to the other.
  20. I'd probably wait just to be on the safe side unless you've been told by someone fairly high up(head/deputy/bursar etc), might be worth ringing them to speed up the process etc My other half was offered a job a while ago having been through the whole process, days before her start date someone "more senior" than the person who offered the job to her returned from annual leave and said they wouldn't take her due to her sick record which the other person had made clear wasn't an issue.
  21. Sunlight effects east-west links more than any other(due to the sun being low in the sky) and the installers would/should have installed sunshields on each end if it is an east-west setup. See if the laser heads have a management interface you could ping - if you do a continuous ping on the other sides management interface and another internal ip address on the other site you should be able to see if the laser link is actually going down. Even better if they do have a management interface and you are able to access it that may also be able to give you an idea about whats going on. In general the only thing that will affect a laser link is dense fog and direct sunlight. We're getting a laser link installed next week... I've done far too much research
  22. As above really, would expect very little but like a lot Ramesys seem to have the right idea(or atleast did when I was sub'd onto a project of theirs) - full documentation was created as we went along right from server specs and services to computer/username conventions and AD structure, they even(shock horror!) allowed 2 days onsite purely for documentation.
  23. Jamman960

    Short leads

    I'd look at getting the school to buy a pair of crimpers, some plugs and possibly boots along with a reel of cable. If your place is anything like here within the first year you'll have made enough cables to pay for it all anyway. I tend to buy them in for cabinets but for the odd cable here or there that needs to be just that little bit longer its handy to have the kit on hand to make your own.
  24. In my previous job the company I worked for started issuing us with "job sheets", we'd basically write down what we had done while we were there along with the time we started and finished, the customer then signed this to say they were happy and we'd submit the sheets to the company as and when we returned to base along with any expense claims and petrol receipts. One customer also had me fill in a time sheet each time I visited to ensure they had their full allowance of hours out of the company. you could probably setup the form as an online one and make the results availible to the customers then leave it up to them to raise any discrepancys. I didn't mind doing this but I wouldn't be happy about being tracked by my employer, especially by something like lattitude - trust goes a long way.
  25. Ah ha! found it... stupid mistake! I'd left the following code in and hadn't pulled the file it refered to accross - firefox must have a shorter timeout/better error handling <br /> //<![CDATA[<br /> if (document.all && document.styleSheets && document.styleSheets[0] &&<br /> document.styleSheets[0].addRule)<br /> {<br /> // Feel free to add rules for specific tags only, you just have to call it several times.<br /> document.styleSheets[0].addRule('*', 'behavior: url(iepngfix.htc)');<br /> }<br /> //]]><br />
×
×
  • Create New...